Superdrug SIM in France (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
We have arrived in France and the new superdrug SIM in the huawei router won't connect to a network. It's the very basic router with just an on/ off button, it used to connect ok with a 3 SIM.
Any help greatly appreciated thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Did you connect in the UK before traveling, you can't use it if for the first time abroad has to be used in the UK first.

If You did use it in the UK you may just need to enter the correct APN settings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Easy in Portugal NoS do 15/20/30 day sims €15/€20/€30, Vodafone do similar.
What's the downsides, if any, to using a local sim in a mifi unit?:unsure:

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We've tended to use local SIMs in Portugal (excellent) and Spain (okay, but dearer than Portugal.).
France has always been another matter - since the wonderful Joe network was swallowed up by Virgin France a few years back you seem to need a French bank account for most. The days of spending an hour or more queuing in a French mobile phone shop to buy a PAYG data SIM for relatively high cost had been just a distant memory, until the threats to roaming. (Unless anyone has more up-to-date info on PAYG data SIMs in France, of course.)

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
If you wish to stream uk based tv eg. BBC etc. You will need to use a vpn to a uk server.
If you have a UK Vodafone sim in a mifi and use it in Spain with a UK vpn, will vodafone know that you are outside you UK and limit the data usage and also charge the £2 per day when it comes into force?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have arrived in France and the new superdrug SIM in the huawei router won't connect to a network. It's the very basic router with just an on/ off button, it used to connect ok with a 3 SIM.
Any help greatly appreciated thanks.
Have you enabled Roaming on the MIFI

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you have a UK Vodafone sim in a mifi and use it in Spain with a UK vpn, will vodafone know that you are outside you UK and limit the data usage and also charge the £2 per day when it comes into force?
To be honest i don't know the answer to that, but I would think that the European network that you were connected to would be billing vodafone UK so must know your phone number even if your data between your device and the uk server is encrypted.

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
To be honest i don't know the answer to that, but I would think that the European network that you were connected to would be billing vodafone UK so must know your phone number even if your data between your device and the uk server is encrypted.
That makes sense, means that I will need a local sim in Spain and VPN in UK so that I can get geographical UK streaming services. Luckily my Vodafone unlimited data contract has just expired so I will be off to the O2 shop to get one of their sims

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
That makes sense, means that I will need a local sim in Spain and VPN in UK so that I can get geographical UK streaming services. Luckily my Vodafone unlimited data contract has just expired so I will be off to the O2 shop to get one of their sims
If you have a sky tv contract and wish to access sky go, you might like to consider a sky sim as some of their deals allow unlimited data whilst streaming sky go.

Klárika1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Burnster Harmony
Exp
I'm a newbie
Another question !!!! When traveling through different countries in EU would you need a seperate sim for each country.
I'm presuming you do just checking. UK sims ok but they all seem to be capped.

Klárika1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Burnster Harmony
Exp
I'm a newbie
VPNUK is the 1 I use. If you go on their website there is chat on line to help you set up. I've used them on my routers when lived in Spain. Laptop and now on my firestick.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another question !!!! When traveling through different countries in EU would you need a seperate sim for each country.
I'm presuming you do just checking. UK sims ok but they all seem to be capped.
The Portuguese NoS sim can only be used in Portugal, can't help with others.

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Tigertom , have you managed to get it going yet?
No Lenny, I can't access the page to alter settings . I think I might buy a more sophisticated router and have the shop staff set it up with my SIM...... that'll be interesting with my linguistic skills 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back