Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Just been looking at my Caxton card statement and super u have charged me €120 for €17 of fuel this was 7 days ago never noticed this before .do they repay the difference. ? If so when or do I have to contact Caxton. ? Thanks for your replies in advance

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think I've heard of this before but could (will) be wrong.

It's some kind of security surcharge and will be refunded once payment for fuel is received from the bank.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes they usually pay it back straight away though. Mind you we don't use Super U as they rejected my card twice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Best not to use a pre-paid card at self service fuel pumps. The pre-authorised amount gets reserved and subtracted from your available balance. Can take a few days to sort itself out when the actual amount goes through the system. Best to use a credit card with enough 'headroom' to allow you still to spend whilst the transactions sort themselves out.

It'll be credited to you automatically.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
As I understand it every time you use the card an immediate maximum charge is allocated at the €120 then it is revised as the actual charge level is processed. I had this happen when using a fully automatic station. I could not get the card to work it then started fueling. I filled up but the receipt said €0 !! On getting back to uk I contacted my bank. They confirmed the maximum amount had been allocated when the card was submitted, this would be revised when the account was submitted.As I had 0 on the receipt I waited for the actual to be allocated. It never did I got a free tank of fuel

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's a pre authorisation and it's why currency cards tend to be unreliable at petrol pumps and tolls.

For some reason they preauthorise such a high amount on these particular cards the transaction often declines.

It's normally 5-7 working days and it disappears.

I'd agree with the advice to use a conventional card at any automated terminal

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Been using this card for months at various fuel stations inc .suoer u and have not noticed this before ...ah well I shall give it a few more days before going ballistic. Thanks all for your replies .Roy

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I had a dickie fit with a similar occurrence in Belgium earlier in the year. I noticed it on line a day or two later. Phoned Halifax (Clarity Credit card) and was told that the payment should disappear in a few days - which it did.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's a pre authorisation and it's why currency cards tend to be unreliable at petrol pumps and tolls.

For some reason they preauthorise such a high amount on these particular cards the transaction often declines.

It's normally 5-7 working days and it disappears.

I'd agree with the advice to use a conventional card at any automated terminal

It does it in France with any type of card. Credit,debit, pre-paid . Usually the 120 will be credited back within a couple of days but if you 'annul' the transaction & start again you will have a second amount debited. The actual fuel payment amount is completely separate & appears 7-10 days later.
I know some people who never had it automatically returned when using UK cards & had to get the bank to get it back.
I queried it with my spanish bank first time I saw it on a statement & was told that when using a spanish card it will be returned instantly as it is a criminal offence on spanish cards & that the Spanish banks won't hesitate to institute proceedings. Mine are always reurned within moments yet the payment actually takes a week or more.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I had a shadow of €130.00 added to my Caxton card while in France in May this year. It took 17 days to be reversed. (New fuel station at Cite Europe.)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Generally in France your card balance is checked if you use pay at pump and if your balance is less then €120, they decline the transaction. We use a French debit card regularly and UK credit / debit cards occasionally and have never seen this charge on any of our cards.
We use Super U a lot.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Experienced this on my pre-paid card earlier this month and noted that Super U credited back the same day. However I also used at Inter Marchè and that took 3 days to correct. What was worse was the fact that when I then went into the supermarket to shop my card was declined - rather embarrassing!!

Deleted User
It does it in France with any type of card. Credit,debit, pre-paid . Usually the 120 will be credited back within a couple of days but if you 'annul' the transaction & start again you will have a second amount debited. The actual fuel payment amount is completely separate & appears 7-10 days later.
I know some people who never had it automatically returned when using UK cards & had to get the bank to get it back.
I queried it with my spanish bank first time I saw it on a statement & was told that when using a spanish card it will be returned instantly as it is a criminal offence on spanish cards & that the Spanish banks won't hesitate to institute proceedings. Mine are always reurned within moments yet the payment actually takes a week or more.

Never had this happen on any of our credit cards in France and I use automatic pumps a lot and have done for many years and with several different credit cards.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We use a pre paid credit card in France and its quite common for the maximum amount of fuel to be debited from the card, if its at the beginning of the week it normally takes a max of about 3 days to be credited back if its near the end of the week or a weekend it takes longer to get credited.

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Still waiting for it to be credited.now the 26th Sept. And fuel was purchased on 17th September. Think I may have to get onto Caxton.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use a NW CC for fuel, filled up at Super U's a few times on last trip, never seen anthing on my statement apart from the actual fuel charge.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Used my Monzo card several times at Carrefour self serve pumps in the last few weeks, and while it did deduct 130 euros initially, it credited the difference immediately afterwards.

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
This is really common and is the reason why I no longer use a debit card for fuel. It is the same for all the big Supermarkets and I have even saw €500 charge from one fill as I had used a pump reserved for trucks. In my case it has taken over a week to be credited back

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back