Sunware Fox-350 Solar controller (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy 270
Morning all and in particular, any solar boffins.

I have the above solar controller in my my van but is missing a cover so looks a little untidy would possibly just get a replacement. The new version, Fox -360 is available for around £160 so am I to assume that a controller that has terminals for the panels, 2 x batteries and a consumer load are all going to be around that price, or am I missing something?

Also, can I wire the 12 volt fridge directly to the load terminals even though I have installed an energy detector switching unit ( switches to 240v when detected and connected) or will that cause issues?

Thanks in advance

Steve

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
The Fox-360 solar charge controller does not appear to use MPP Technology, so you may benefit from looking at an altetnative for that price.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The Votronic MPP 350 Duo for example is less than £150, and has an output of up to 21A, compared with your Fox with an output of up to 20A. MPPT technology is better than PWM, being a bit more efficient in cloudy and low-light conditions.

Load terminals are almost never used in motorhome applications, and all the loads come from the battery without going through the solar controller. The fridge is probably too much of a load for the load terminals. They are designed for applications like street lights, CCTV cameras and advertising signs.

Many solar controllers, including the Votronic, have an S+ terminal that activates when the batteries have been fully charged, and the excess solar power would otherwise go to waste. This can connect to the S+ terminal on the fridge (if it has one). This causes it to switch to 12V supply when activated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rusticrogers
May 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy 270
The Votronic MPP 350 Duo for example is less than £150, and has an output of up to 21A, compared with your Fox with an output of up to 20A. MPPT technology is better than PWM, being a bit more efficient in cloudy and low-light conditions.

Load terminals are almost never used in motorhome applications, and all the loads come from the battery without going through the solar controller. The fridge is probably too much of a load for the load terminals. They are designed for applications like street lights, CCTV cameras and advertising signs.

Many solar controllers, including the Votronic, have an S+ terminal that activates when the batteries have been fully charged, and the excess solar power would otherwise go to waste. This can connect to the S+ terminal on the fridge (if it has one). This causes it to switch to 12V supply when activated.
Thanks for that, no stock anywhere either thoiugh.
Cheers

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back