Sunstore 160W MPTT kit for 4-season short off-grid adventures. (1 Viewer)

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
Short story: how's this kit for short winter off grid breaks?

Sunstore 160W MPPT Kit

I'm looking to install solar on my new (to me) Coach built MH - Checked and the roof is pretty flat in both directions (I will double check with a straight edge). Currently it has a 12V 92AH AGM (Duracell Start-stop fitted by previous owner) which is borderline condition (8V at ~300A draw). I will replace this in time with a proper leisure at a similar size when it's trully ready to be reassigned to electric fencers. The van is relatively light on load (all LED lights, gas fridge etc, the truma combi 4 fan probably being the biggest draw) but I would like to use it off grid for maybe 3-4 days through winter periods, so I'd like a system that can keep things topped up (or at least eek out battery life a bit longer). I have ear-marked the following kit, it seems like it might meet the task, I just wanted to check opinions on panel, Victron MPPT controller, etc, and the price seems sensible. I'm sure I could get a much better panel for twice the price, but I'm not going to be living for months on end with high draws, just maybe charge a few phones. Also aware it's probably overkill for summer with my small battery, but I don't consider that an issue.

I plan to go for the plastic glue on edge fittings oriented front and back.

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
Hi
We have a victron MPPT smart controller with 100w panel on the roof and a 170w portable panel we plug in parallel through the controller. In summer we have surplus power and can stay off grid indefinitely but in winter we get so little power the battery only lasts 3-4 days. The biggest users of electric in our PVC is the Whale blown heating and the compressor fridge.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Look fine for your use but seems a bit pricy but I don't like plastic mounts better to use aluminum ones.

8V at ~300A draw
What an earth were you doing to draw 300 amps, you shouldn't draw more than 20 amps out of that size battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Geomore

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
Any suggestions of better value kits? and are the plastic mounts that bad, especially seeing as the roof itself is plastic too. I would hope they are made out of GFR-PA or something similar. Do they have a bad track record? I agree the corner mount ones look questionable.

What an earth were you doing to draw 300 amps, you shouldn't draw more than 20 amps out of that size battery.
Battery discharge tester, aka volt drop meter, as used by every garage before the fancy digital ones. I think this one had its war department stamp still visible. It's a start-stop battery rated at 800 CCA, not a true leisure battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Battery discharge tester, aka volt drop meter, as used by every garage before the fancy digital ones. I think this one had its war department stamp still visible. It's a start-stop battery rated at 800 CCA, not a true leisure battery.
A good way of Bu**ering a battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back