Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
A bit like boating then??

You know us so well.
There have been countless times when we have gone to bed surrounded by MH's (and boats).
Only to find ourselves completely alone when we open the curtains. Weird!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A bit like boating then??

You know us so well.
There have been countless times when we have gone to bed surrounded by MH's (and boats).
Only to find ourselves completely alone when we open the curtains. Weird!
I thought that was normal.:xgrin:
That's when you know it's time to change the SOG filter.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
----------------
Daughter works for specsavers clacton on sea
Sunday working laws not abided by

She starts 8-45 am finishes 16-30
30 break

Management don't work sat and Sunday
Staff reduced but customers are booked in
As a normal day :Eeek:

Me I'd ban Sunday trading altogether :pray:
Family's may enjoy being together :reel::blush:
:wink::wink:

If the shop is under 280 M2 then the 6 hour restriction does not apply .Probably how they overcome it.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Won't be long till there all shut on a Friday too.

Everyone will be at the Mosque:xwink:
With a Muslim population of just 5% I somehow doubt that!
Here in Spain the shops close on Sunday with the exception of Open/Super Cor, and I think the country and people are better for it!

:cooler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
The one thing I remember most about pre-sunday trading was the lovely Sunday drives; the picnics; the going to the beach; cooking a roast then falling asleep in front of the telly whilst watching Norman Wisdom or the Dambusters....Thanks America, you have now given us 24hour McDonalds and TV with dozens of pointless programs (or should I say advertising space!) what next :madder:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I hate our stupid laws, if I am doing DIY on a Sunday and something goes wrong it is usually to late to get to the shop to buy replacements, being I have to work all week like most of you that only leaves Saturdays so I want a full day of Sunday trading.

What are your views, do you want the shops open on Sundays.
Shops are open on Sundays already......

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Got caught out in France once or twice at lunchtimes. Supermarkets shut, garages shut, shops shut 12 till 2.30. Soon got used to it, their country, their customs. but you can get a fresh baguette at 6pm on a Sunday. And in Paris, fruit, vegetable and florists open all hours.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Got caught out in France once or twice at lunchtimes. Supermarkets shut, garages shut, shops shut 12 till 2.30. Soon got used to it, their country, their customs. but you can get a fresh baguette at 6pm on a Sunday. And in Paris, fruit, vegetable and florists open all hours.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I really enjoyed the Lewisian Sunday when my daughter lived on Lewis. Sunday was special.

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp

I remember it well on our first ever trip in 1984 or 5. Shopping on our first day and they started shutting the store for lunch. This was a largish supermarket too, or nipping out on Sunday for wine and food for BBQ and having to do without!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The one thing I remember most about pre-sunday trading was the lovely Sunday drives; the picnics; the going to the beach; cooking a roast then falling asleep in front of the telly whilst watching Norman Wisdom or the Dambusters....

Hang on! you forgot to mention the traffic jams for the last 10 miles before any of the places you might have liked to go!

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Arrrrrr the 1970's, you could drive where you wanted when you wanted and usually find a parking space, then our women started to go out to work, the result was the need for a vehicle, this has esculated to everyone wanting/needing their own car hence traffic jams and side streets full to capacity, as work is harder to come by so further distances are travelled, best to have a second car in case one won't start, then instead of going out shopping lets order it on-line so more vans and lorries to add to the queues but still we go for a 'look round' the shops on Sunday because we can probably to see something we have seen on one of those endless TV adverts. This is modern life, no longer do we have relatives visiting for the Sunday roast followed by a game of cards whilst the kids play upstairs dressing up playing doctors and nurses.
Working practices have also changed, now night working or shift patterns are common place so Sunday is just another day and to be honest I don't thing we will be happy as a nation until we get 24 hour shopping, oh hang on, we already have it, on-line and it seems we are all happy about that :xdoh:

I just had a memory of when we would be going on our family holiday from Sussex to Devon, we would get up extremely early, 6am! then travel at nearly top speed of the car 70mph (Ford Cortina) and it would be 8am before we see another moving car, now at 6am you can be sitting in a traffic jam :xangry:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't thing we will be happy as a nation until we get 24 hour shopping, oh hang on, we already have it, on-line and it seems we are all happy about that :xdoh:
We already have it, Tesco and other supermarkets are open 24 hr, a bit of a waste of time though. Deli counter, fish counter, cheese counter, meat counter all close about 8pm and after about 10pm pallets everywhere as they are restocking.:xsmile:

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Yes but they are only open because they are re-stocking, it seemed strange keeping in closed with all the staff there and all they had to do was open one till and they can make millions! Tesco and others get round the Sunday trading laws by taking over the local convenience stores and garages so really the supermarket chains do already offer 24- 7 trading so why bother closing the big store on Sunday. That said being able to go to the local shops to get a bread or a late night treat must save a huge amount of traffic on the roads, but if you go to the effort of a large supermarket how many other items do you end up with:xdoh:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Keep Sundays special always been my opinion. Mainland Europe mange to survive...it's a family day or should be.

Tories only want it so that it gives the economy a boost...:(

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I just go with the flow, we have it so we are stuck with it, the difficult bit for me is wherever we go at the weekend it ends up with some form of shopping so costs money, with the motorhome as most of the time it is weekends for us we just go to a field relax and unwind, so it actually works out cheaper to have a motorhome :xwink:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Here's a weird one............

In England and Wales, supermarkets are only allowed to open for 6 hours on a Sunday (usually they choose 10 till 4)

In Scotland they can open all day (24 hrs) on a Sunday

I would be quite happy for all shops to be shut on Sunday, however, when we visit family in England and Wales we do sometimes fall foul of these hours..................... I mean, we drive down on a Sunday and think about 'popping in' to Tesco or whatever when we get near Cardiff to buy some treats/flowers........... only to find they are SHUT :(:eek::eek:

It's a tad confusing :confused:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Actually, I think that Internet Web Sites should close on Sundays :whistle:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Ah, we all remember the days when almost all the shops were closed on Sunday, maybe shut half day during the week and at lunchtimes too.

I work near a large Sainsbury's supermarket and the car park is usually heaving on a Sunday with families doing their weekly shopping. I have never understood this, especially in the Summer. Why not take the kids to the countryside or the beach and have a bit of fun?

The point is though we all want to have the choice. Personally I do a lot of shopping online because it suits me. Same applies to everyone else - if you want to push a trolley round a supermarket at 2am thats up to you.

Mention has been made of staff having to work on a Sunday. I'm sure this arrangement suits many people. Shop staff in France have started to demand the right to work on Sundays so its not just us lot.

Paul

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
and once upon a time, ALL shops were shut Christmas Day

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
work in retail for 30years then say we have to open longer hours on sunday nobody works 7 days a week 24 hours a day find time if you need to get something, go to switzerland not open on sundays parents and children out together in the county not rushing round from one shop to the next most people wanting more hours only work mon to fri and have never worked weekends.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
most people wanting more hours only work mon to fri and have never worked weekends.
Well, all I can say is that they have led very cushy lives. :xThumb:

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
With a Muslim population of just 5% I somehow doubt that!
Here in Spain the shops close on Sunday with the exception of Open/Super Cor, and I think the country and people are better for it!

:cooler:
Once it was 0%. Is it on the increase. Look what is happen at the ports in france, exodos through Greece etc, etc. Spain wil not toolerate. I am a minorty in my own country as I Live in BIRMINGHAM.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
An area of Manchester, Cheetham Hill, has for over (at least) one hundred years been predominantly Jewish. When I was a kid, all their shops were open on Sunday, because their Sabbath is Saturday, when they did close. No one bothered them, and it was a great Sunday out on the bus. If people are willing to work, then what the hell?? No one holds a gun to your head.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If shops don't want to open on a Sunday they don't have to. If staff don't like working on a Sunday they can usually arrange their roster to make sure they don't have to, and if their employer won't let them then they are not worth working for, so go and work with a decent employer instead.

If we are going to have a "short" day for religious reasons (which is what Sunday is supposed to be about remember) why not make it a Friday ............... (light blue touch paper and retire immediately).

"If staff don't like working on a Sunday they can usually arrange their roster to make sure they don't have to" Really! Staff levels in many businesses and public services are at minimum already which makes arranging to avoid Sunday working very difficult if not impossible.

"and if their employer won't let them then they are not worth working for, so go and work with a decent employer instead". Many people may not have the luxury of leaving a job they may have spent some time looking for, or training for, just because they don't like the terms and conditions of employment which they should have been aware of when they took the job.

Employers who require staff to work Sundays or other unsociable hours are not necessarily poor employers. Many decent businesses and professions need 24/7 cover.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back