Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
For the last 4 years we have used a Thule Sunblocker
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/motorhome-a ... m-_-307290
It has worked well but it inhibits the breeze and on some hot days it can get a bit stifling. However overall it did the job. Last year I saw a guy who had used some camouflage net with great success. It provided better shade and allowed a greater throughput of air. Before I could get to go and inspect the installation in detail he left. So this winter I found several suppliers on the web and ordered a 6m x 3m Grey/Black one.
https://www.camonets.com/product-catego ... -camo-net/
I had the local sailmaker manufacture some special clip mounts for me and today I did a first fix to see how it would work. The colours work well with the van and the individual slide on clips enable a quick release and easy install.
20200308_142643.jpg

20200308_142652.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
These were my efforts Michael, I got a couple of "Beach flags" from the factory for owners group meets but realised that they were far too big for a flag pole so I cut a bit off the end and then stitched a beading on the top to run it into the channel on the awning front rail.

IMG_1423.jpeg

This one is older and real quality material so doesn't let a breeze through,

IMG_1427.jpeg

This is the newer one and works really well keeping the sun off but letting a breeze through unlike the Lillypad sun blocker which got very hot behind it with no air movement.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I wonder if the same could be achieved using muslin?

It could be gathered with heading tape the same as for a window at home then mounted onto beading and slotted in. You can get weighted tape to stop it billowing too much.

I think it might look quite elegant ?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

It could be gathered with heading tape the same as for a window at home then mounted onto beading and slotted in. You can get weighted tape to stop it billowing too much.

That would be like the Lilypad blocker, which we have too for the sides only, they are not very good at blocking the sun but do block any breeze which can be understood by the product name.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Ooooh..... twitching net curtains outside the van.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Addendum
Please zoom in on the pictures and examine my slide in clips. Because of my desire to be able to remove the net without having to move it completely by a permanently attached long slide cord I have ended up with a sort of gap at the top but cannot get my head around a better solution which still achieves the ability to easily erect and remove the screen. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Can you just not peg the Thule one further out instead of having it vertical?
Have and indeed do do that, and because our awning bar is quite high there is a huge gap at the bottom but it still creates an airless feel especially when the breeze is very weak. And it is not a very good sun blocker.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I made my own windblockers about 8 years ago to use with our MH (Chausson Flash 04). I used a large piece of voile and stitched on vertical binding tape to give strength where it was pegged at the bottom (the Lillypad ones are made from strips of material which they join so they have these vertical pieces anyway). Mine different at the top though as the LP ones have one continuous strip of beading whereas for mine I just put a 2 inch piece every now and then on the top which slotted in the awning front rail slot, this mean they could be pushed back a bit if needed to get in/out. It worked very well.

wind screens 1 - Copy.jpg

Outside part drawn.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
That would be like the Lilypad blocker, which we have too for the sides only, they are not very good at blocking the sun but do block any breeze which can be understood by the product name.

Yes, I can see how there'd be a problem with the Lilypads. I was thinking of more of a floaty muslin/voile curtain that would billow in the wind and diffuse the sun. I'd stitch it to heading tape at the top and gather it up but then allow it to free float. You can buy tape with tiny weights inside to stop too much billowing... a sort of Turkish tent type of thing.

I do have a roll of muslin... if we venture into warmer climes this year I might give it a go and report back ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes, I can see how there'd be a problem with the Lilypads. I was thinking of more of a floaty muslin/voile curtain that would billow in the wind and diffuse the sun. I'd stitch it to heading tape at the top and gather it up but then allow it to free float. You can buy tape with tiny weights inside to stop too much billowing... a sort of Turkish tent type of thing.

I do have a roll of muslin... if we venture into warmer climes this year I might give it a go and report back ?
You could do what I did with my home made version by putting some pieces of beading spaced out across the top.

front top corner.JPG

The issue you might have with muslin is that it could be quite stretchy so trying to stitch tape to a long length of it could be a pain in the bum ... my experience of doing it with the voile I used was bad enough and I wouldn't do it with muslin.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Addendum
Please zoom in on the pictures and examine my slide in clips. Because of my desire to be able to remove the net without having to move it completely by a permanently attached long slide cord I have ended up with a sort of gap at the top but cannot get my head around a better solution which still achieves the ability to easily erect and remove the screen. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
You could sew a deep strip of material across the top edge of the net so it is 'stiffer' and will hold the net level and fill the gap if you attach the hooks lower down the net from the top edge. Alternatively you could make a filler piece by putting some Velcro on the inner side of the awing case and use a strip of material with the other part of the Velcro on and cover the gap with it, if you do this make sure you put the grippy part of the Velcro on the casing - this would be the simplest/easiest solution and you could then also use it as a little 'sun shade' on it's own, a bit like this:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It has worked well but it inhibits the breeze and on some hot days it can get a bit stifling. However overall it did the job. Last year I saw a guy who had used some camouflage net with great success. It provided better shade and allowed a greater throughput of air. Before I could get to go and inspect the installation in detail he left. So this winter I found several suppliers on the web and ordered a 6m x 3m Grey/Black one.
I had the local sailmaker manufacture some special clip mounts for me and today I did a first fix to see how it would work. The colours work well with the van and the individual slide on clips enable a quick release and easy install.
View attachment 367649

View attachment 367650

Love it!
I actually manufacture and sell awning blocker panels. Mine do the opposite in they are fully waterproof and clear laminated plastic. I like your idea and think that if a full length of keder was machined along the top it would improve it massively. Shame you are not local or you could have dropped in and I could have taken a look if its do-able.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You could sew a deep strip of material across the top edge of the net so it is 'stiffer' and will hold the net level and fill the gap if you attach the hooks lower down the net from the top edge. Alternatively you could make a filler piece by putting some Velcro on the inner side of the awing case and use a strip of material with the other part of the Velcro on and cover the gap with it, if you do this make sure you put the grippy part of the Velcro on the casing - this would be the simplest/easiest solution and you could then also use it as a little 'sun shade' on it's own, a bit like this:

Thanks I will develop the Velcro concept I think. What I have been trying to avoid was a long strip of cord/fabric to feed into the bar. The existing Thule is a real pain requiring 2 people.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Love it!
I actually manufacture and sell awning blocker panels. Mine do the opposite in they are fully waterproof and clear laminated plastic. I like your idea and think that if a full length of keder was machined along the top it would improve it massively. Shame you are not local or you could have dropped in and I could have taken a look if its do-able.
What's a keder may I ask?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What's a keder may I ask?
Keder is another name for the beading strip that you feed in the awning rail slot, in your case it wouldn't be any good as you want to be able to remove it easily and/or slide it open/closed, something you couldn't easily do with a full length beading strip, hence why I decided to only put pieces of it spaced along the top of mine.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
View attachment 367649

View attachment 367650

Do you not get a constant russelling sound from the cammo netting with any breeze ?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Do you not get a constant russelling sound from the cammo netting with any breeze ?
Only just fitted it whilst the van was inside its hutch, as per the pictures. I have yet to try it in "anger", a breeze of any note will have some noises anyway from nearby trees and the awning itself so I dont anticipate an issue but I will make a point to observe.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve seen this idea before, and thought about it for my van, But I couldn’t work out how to attach it to the awning front rail. I think I would need to buy one first then hope to solve it, at the time I was looking there were plenty of green nets but no white ones.
Perhaps there’s a business opportunity here as the nets are considerably cheaper than the fiamma shade.

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
sallylillian did you get the camo net or the reinforced version? Interested in this as we've been looking for a sun shade that doesn't block the breeze.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
sallylillian did you get the camo net or the reinforced version? Interested in this as we've been looking for a sun shade that doesn't block the breeze.
I did get the reinforced version. Reinforced Light Grey/Charcoal Camo Net. This has a string net backing, sort of like a fishing net if you will. The squares are about 4 inches or so. It provides a structure which makes it easier to hang without support. You can buy stock sizes or specify an exact size if I recall.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You can get them in various colours including blue and pink ... just have a Google!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back