SUMA WHAT IF ITS NOT PAID (1 Viewer)

paddingtonspoo

Free Member
Jul 13, 2010
Funster No
Hi there, I wondered if anyone knows anything about the law as its stand on not paying the suma (tax) on a spanish registered vehicle. Is it a criminal offence. I had a vehicle that was off the road for a long time, and whilst I lwas away travelling i didnt pay the suma. Our local policeman has taken it upon himself to tell me about this, twice now and has even threatened that our other vehicles / house / accounts will have embargos put on them. I know that he doesnt like me, and that there is a bit of bullying going on here, but is he acting within the law.....any help would be appreciated...thanks:whatthe:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi to you,

I can't give a definate answer to your question however, my brother in law lives in Alicante and he has told me that local police/tax collectors have draconian powers. If SUMA is not paid they will come round and tow the vehicle away. BIG fine to retrieve it or else it will be in the crusher. Local taxes...they have the power to take it from your bank account without your permission.

So be careful:Eeek:

My advice....If local police have given you a warning, get it paid as they are watching your vehicle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have a Spanish registered vehicle at our house in Spain. I understand that Suma is payable whether the vehicle is on or off the road. You have to pay annually, if it is not paid then suma & fines mount up and are held on the vehicle as when you purchase a secondhand vehicle out here they suggest you check it to ensure that there is no back suma registered to the vehicle. Don't know it they would tow it way though.
I have several forums out here in Spain so will put question on them to see if nyone answers.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Had this reply from a Spanish Forum:

A neighbor of mine on La Marina went back to live in uk and failed to pay the suma on his van for 3 years .
The police turned up with the guy from the suma office and after they gained entry to his casa they impounded his van and had it towed away.
He had to go to the suma office to pay the outstanding and immediately after he had cleared his suma bill he was then charged a very high day rate for storage of his van.

cost him a great deal of money as he had to fly back to Spain to sort it out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back