Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Peter/Stealaway ... you have your 'views' but regardless I am correct that there IS a difference between a leisure and starter battery ... you may not think this is important but in use it can determine how well the battery will perform/last. The late (great) John Wickersham did a review a few years ago of various leisure batteries and found that some were just rebadged starter batteries, but that some were indeed leisure batteries and would obviously perform better.

Whilst the 'treatment/care' given by the user is important, if you start off with the 'wrong' sort of battery in the first place it certainly won't help!

As we do virtually all our 'camping' off grid (ie aires/wild etc) battery capacity and longevity is very important to us, whilst those who use hook-up a lot don't need to worry if they buy 'cheap' leisure batteries so much, for us we prefer to have a quality 'real' leisure battery, yes you may pay a bit more but then if you look after it, it will 'repay' you many times over.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Strangely boat owners usually suggest caravan shops as they are considered to sell very similar or the same products at lower prices

You are quite right - any thing with 'marine' written on it is always a premium price. Including 'Marine battery's - what ever they are??

all seems too easy... but then spending money usually is :D

Hankook are beginning to get a good name, you'll be OK with them, especially at that price.

Although reading their blurb the plates are only hardened, there is no mention of them being any thicker.
This treatment is probably why Varta claim theirs are now dual purpose - they don't deform under heavy starting loads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As we do virtually all our 'camping' off grid (ie aires/wild etc) battery capacity and longevity is very important to us, whilst those who use hook-up a lot don't need to worry if they buy 'cheap' leisure batteries so much, for us we prefer to have a quality 'real' leisure battery, yes you may pay a bit more but then if you look after it, it will 'repay' you many times over.

We are much the same, always off grid. Which battery's would you recommend?
I bought two of these earlier this year
https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/numax-cxv35-mf/

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Battery Megastore in Tewksbury offers next day delivery by 6pm. They are a good supplier. If the delivery is still a bit tight, try ringing them and see if you could collect - not that far from Trowbridge.
http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/

I'm sure there's one in Swindon too..? That could be on the way..?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
While agreeing that the battery giving off smells and bubbling needs to be binned, has anyone ever heard of a battery actually producing enough Hydrogen for the gas to ignite and cause an explosion ? I'd put it under the same heading as "using a mobile phone while filling fuel tank will cause an explosion", well yes it might, but lets see it happen in a repeatable scientific experiment.

Back in the day we used to build rigs to see what would cause a roomful of natural gas to explode, a spark from a light switch certainly would, but a house phone ringing wouldn't !! I have heard from others that no matter how much they over charge batteries they can't get enough gas to cause an explosion. Which is odd as hydrogen is way more prone to explode at lower ignition points than natural gas.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
While agreeing that the battery giving off smells and bubbling needs to be binned, has anyone ever heard of a battery actually producing enough Hydrogen for the gas to ignite and cause an explosion ? I'd put it under the same heading as "using a mobile phone while filling fuel tank will cause an explosion", well yes it might, but lets see it happen in a repeatable scientific experiment.

Back in the day we used to build rigs to see what would cause a roomful of natural gas to explode, a spark from a light switch certainly would, but a house phone ringing wouldn't !! I have heard from others that no matter how much they over charge batteries they can't get enough gas to cause an explosion. Which is odd as hydrogen is way more prone to explode at lower ignition points than natural gas.

Batteries do explode from hydrogen evolution. I remember HMS Auriga coming into Gibraltar after an explosion in her forward battery compartment, that was even with proper ventilation and catalytic burners to get rid or hydrogen. In geeneral most installations in normal use will not generate explosive hydrogen concentrations but it is a real risk.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Batteries do explode from hydrogen evolution. I remember HMS Auriga coming into Gibraltar after an explosion in her forward battery compartment, that was even with proper ventilation and catalytic burners to get rid or hydrogen. In geeneral most installations in normal use will not generate explosive hydrogen concentrations but it is a real risk.

Yeah, in industrial type set-ups with masses of batteries. But I'm talking about in a car or Motorhome.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
While agreeing that the battery giving off smells and bubbling needs to be binned, has anyone ever heard of a battery actually producing enough Hydrogen for the gas to ignite and cause an explosion ? ...

I used to do health screening for employees in high-risk jobs and I have done hearing tests for many motor mechanics who have been close to an exploding battery.
It's more common than you might expect :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

The company I worked for used standby generators powered by V12 Diesel engines. The starter battery comprised a number of glass-encased cells in series linked by lead straps. I remember at least two incidents caused by loose/corroded straps sparking when the engine started and igniting the hydrogen / oxygen mix given off by the cells . Photographs of the engine rooms showed all four walls and the nearby control cabinets with glass 'shrapnel' embedded. No-one was hurt in either incident because no-one was in the room at the time the engine started. Lead acid batteries don't give off hydrogen - they produce the precise mix of hydrogen and oxygen needed for a perfect burn. It most definitely is NOT an urban myth.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Explosions are far more common than people think, and as Tony correctly mentions, water in the batteries breaks down to 2 parts of Hydrogen and one part of Oxygen, nicely explosive.

On many of the standby sets we have installed we use a gas recombination filler, which recombines the gaseous mixture back into water which runs back into the battery cell.

Aquagen.jpg

A recent substation visit showed a battery set that had these fitted was exactly on the electrolyte cell levels, after more than 5 years unattended use on float charge.

EDF1.jpg

Older cells on the right, new batteries on the left:

EDF3.jpg

EDF2.jpg

We prefer the wet flat plate batteries to the sealed stuff.

Peter

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Peter, great pictures brings back memories of my military days when we used to service the batteries. I remember the day a battery went bang in the battery shop and blow all the windows behind it out. The lad that sent it off walked into the battery room with lit fag, but that was in 1980 when things were somewhat relaxed.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Yeah, in industrial type set-ups with masses of batteries. But I'm talking about in a car or Motorhome.

Whilst I would agree the probability is very low it can and does happen. Most installations have good enough ventilation to disperse any hydrogen before it can cause problems but in a few cases it can be trapped for example by battery box lids and thus you can get an explosive mix just waiting for a spark. I would expect that plate damage causing gross overheating is much more likely.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I do not think that i can add anything meaningful to
the battery type debate other than to say that in practice
over 30 years or so i have found that a good big starter battery seems to last just as well when used as a "leisure"
battery.
I have however caused a battery to explode by carelessly
using a grinder just below a battery box!!
small explosion and then a mad scramble to get out from under the van,when the acid started to run out the bottom vent holes.The top was blown off the battery .
Probably only happened because i was working inside
so no real draught/air movement .
Hope that is helpful.-certainly cured me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The vast majority of cheap leisure batteries are just relabelled starter batteries.

The only real way of knowing if it really is a leisure battery is buy deep cycle traction batteries as used in golf buggies and fork lift trucks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
While agreeing that the battery giving off smells and bubbling needs to be binned, has anyone ever heard of a battery actually producing enough Hydrogen for the gas to ignite and cause an explosion
Back in the late 90s/early 2000s i worked in breakdown recovery.
I had to attend a non starter in a multistory carpark.

I instantly knew why it wouldnt start by the smell before i even opened the bonnet but i didnt expect what i found.....the battery top case was laid on the engine tethered by the starter cable.
The battery had exploded blowing off the top and splitting the case open.
This happened when the driver cranked the engine and i suspect the starter brushs had caused a spark....enough to ignite the gas.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Back in the late 90s/early 2000s i worked in breakdown recovery.
I had to attend a non starter in a multistory carpark.

I instantly knew why it wouldnt start by the smell before i even opened the bonnet but i didnt expect what i found.....the battery top case was laid on the engine tethered by the starter cable.
The battery had exploded blowing off the top and splitting the case open.
This happened when the driver cranked the engine and i suspect the starter brushs had caused a spark....enough to ignite the gas.
There have been cases of that happening because a failed joint between the plates & one of the battery terminals sparked when the starter was engaged.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So all.. I had some issues and was delayed leaving Thursday until after midnight however the mains was off from 6pm. I had the heating running using just the one 80ah battery. At Folkstone while waiting for the train I fitted the new battery. We got to Cologne at about 1pm Friday and left about the same time Sunday. No hookup, watched a few DVDs in the evenings, had heating on when we wanted etc etc and no sign of fade on the battery at all.. who needs solar lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back