Suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus s 670SLT
Exp
Since 2014
Hi. We are currently near Condom in the Midi-Pyrenees, with 3 weeks before we need to be making our way back.
We was going towards Carcassonne and then across to the coast. I didn’t realise how close we are to the Pyrenees. My request is for places to visit in the Pyrenees and along the coast or inland a bit, without huge travelling.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
In Condom? Nice!
Which coast are you heading for....Med or Atlantic?

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Med. I wish I hadn’t mentioned Condom.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you are still in Condom have you been to La Romieu?
It’s just a few km to the east and is a lovely walled village with a huge abbey church.
Lovely place for a wander round and if you go look out for the cats.
There is an old story about the cat lady and there are stone cats everywhere.
Have a look at my blog (link below) and search back for more info.

Richard.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
pyrenees.png

Here's a few suggestions for you

1. Sare - Small town with interesting Basque church. Aire well situated (camper contact 5340) 'Petit train de la Rhune' 15 min drive away. Views of the Pyrenees and the Atlantic over Bayonne/Biarritz .

2. Artouste nr Laruns - Another train journey, 'Petit Train d'Artouste'. Train was constructed to help in the building of hydro electric dams, now a tourist attraction. It's wilderness, lots of Marmots and birds of prey when we visited. Aire well situated (camper contact 52610)

3. Cauterets, probably our favorite choice. It's a pleasant town with thermal baths and tele-cabins in to the surrounding mountains. Further up the valley you have Pont d'espagne and Lac Gaube (unmissable imo). There are two aires in town, although we prefer to stay at https://camping-cauterets.com/in-summer/ simply because it's a lovely place to be!

4. Pic du Midi de Bigorre (La Mongie) - On the 'Col du Tourmalet' Tour de France route. Home of the famous observatory, cable car to the top, spectacular views on a clear day. Unofficial aire is on a steep slope, so levellers are definitely required.

5. Mont Louis / Font Romeu - ideal location for catching 'le Petit Train Jaune' for sightseeing the eastern Pyrenees to Villefranche-de-Conflent (worth visiting). Also close to Andorra if you fancied a shopping trip (not everyone's cuppa tea!). Several aires in the vicinity, we stayed at Mont Louis (camper contact 8633)

It's worth bearing in mind that the weather can be extremely changeable, so keep things flexible and be prepared to change plans, sunny days are obviously best!
We love the Pyrenees - hope you enjoy (y)

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you for your help and suggestions, we will be heading into the Pyrenees on Monday and visiting some of the places mentioned.

Please feel free to add to the suggestions.

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you are still in Condom have you been to La Romieu?
It’s just a few km to the east and is a lovely walled village with a huge abbey church.
Lovely place for a wander round and if you go look out for the cats.
There is an old story about the cat lady and there are stone cats everywhere.
Have a look at my blog (link below) and search back for more info.

Richard.
Is the Peacock still in residence ??? BUSBY,,i

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back