Suggestions please - sticky situation (1 Viewer)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Morning all. Just back from our first real jaunt this season, about which more later. I'm giving the M/H a good spring clean. There are two stickers on the bodywork which I would like to remove. One is the inflamable substance diamond which has faded so badly that it cannot be seen and the other is the German "Wasser" sticker over the water inlet. It's become very tatty and needs replacing. What can I use to release them from the surface without causing damage. Presumably the heat gun I use to strip paint from the back door would not be recommended!
Wyn

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
how much can you peel off? I peeled mine off and then used a hair dryer to get the glue off along with a bit of sticky stuff remover. The LPG diamond, I simply bought a new one from Ebay and put it over the top:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
one way is lots and lots of water and something gently abrasive like one of those (green nylon type) pan scrubbers (not a brillo) to rub the paper part off gently, then panel wipe or nail varnish remover to remove the glue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Meths might help - not drinking it though :Smile:. Let it soak in behind the label and peel off bit by bit.

John

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I like sticky stuff remover from Lakeland (nice orange smell) or at the weekend this was a topic being discussed and WD40 was the recommended product to use. Nothing scratchy! Just patience, time and a little elbow grease along with one of the products mentioned plus a soft cloth or some kitchen roll. Jane :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
After spending 2 days removing ambulance stickers -use a heat gun / hair dryer then if you don't have sticky stuff remover - petrol works a treat :thumb: honestly it removes the glue :winky:
terry

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I use isopropanol available from a chemist. Test on an insignificant area first but it shouldn't affect the surface. Remove the label and use the the isopropanol on a cotton rag to remove the glue. Much safer than petrol and evaporates fairly quickly.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
ok, the wackiest idea.......

On how clean is your house the other day they used mayonaise, yes you did read correct.
She spread it on some stickers, left it to soak in for an hour or so then used a plastic spatular and slid it under the sticker and it just fell off.

I had to look at it again to believe it, but it did work. worth a try while making a nice salad sarnie to sit out side with whilst waiting for it to work....

Please do let us know if you go with this idea as i want to know if it really does work...

Cheers Cheyne

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
You could also try....COOKING OIL...this also works on removing the "beam benders" from your headlights

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
This has to be done carefully but.....boiling water will soften the glue and allow them to be peeled off...then you usually have to remove the glue thats left...:thumb::thumb:

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
The stickers will be vinyl based, so no paper to soften and rub off, plus, if you have an aluminium body it won`t take long to rub right through the paint! :Doh:

Heat gun or hair dryer, you will only need to waft it over the area, not too close, and don`t burn your fingers ::bigsmile:, peel the sticker off and remove the glue residue, if any, with anything spirit based, white spirit and a soft cloth will do it and not harm the paint surface.

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all for your ideas on this. I am pleased to say that the job is now satisfactorily completed. It was done using WD40 and the use of my right thumb nail - I was going to try the meths but it tasted too good to waste! ::bigsmile:

Wyn

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
"Hair dryer just to warm the label,..... not too close,.....peel the sticker off and remove the glue residue, if any, with anything spirit based, white spirit and a soft cloth will do it and should not harm the paint surface":thumb:

I would use the above....................

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
You could also try....COOKING OIL...this also works on removing the "beam benders" from your headlights

You beat me to it!
But, being upper crust, I was going to recommend olive oil :RollEyes:
Cooking oil is much more sensible and the same thing ...
I never was sensible with money :Doh:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I could also have added... lighter fuel. As used in the old fashioned lighters. My Mother always thought that it was the best stuff to use to remove the sticky residue after a sticky plaster had been removed! I am also allergic to the glue used on the stretchy Elastoplast so the whole experience was not the nicest..... 'Don't go hurting yourself again' was, no doubt, ringing in my ears :ROFLMAO: Jane :Smile:

P.S. That was dellwood33 that mentioned the WD40 to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back