Suggestions please:Looking for someone to fit a dual bottle Gaslow (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Hi All, would anyone be able to recommend a competent fitter to install a dual bottle Gaslow system for me please, I believe i now have all the parts but I am sure they will tell me if not :)

I live in the Bournemouth (Dorset) area.

Many thanks in advance

Mark

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Since no one has come up with an answer, I will say what has been suggested many times, that it really is simple to fit your own, hardly any different than changing a normal calor bottle, I have fitted my own as have many on here.
If you need tips on it just ask.(y):)

OP
OP
Mark James
Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Its just me being silly i am sure, i have all the bits and had originally planned to fit it myself, its just Gas and a £32k motorhome......
But seriously the only thing I am questioning is do i just screw on the fittings, should i be using some kind of tape or compound on the threads?

thanks
Mark

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its just me being silly i am sure, i have all the bits and had originally planned to fit it myself, its just Gas and a £32k motorhome......
But seriously the only thing I am questioning is do i just screw on the fittings, should i be using some kind of tape or compound on the threads?

thanks
Mark
Don't use anything on the threads etc, they shouldn't need it an din fact it can cause issues, just put them on and make sure they're nice and tight but don't over-tighten them, no different to putting on your normal Calor bottle pipe. I've done it a few times and its not difficult, wait until you do the first fill as that IS scary as it can 'hiss' at you and make you want to run a mile until you realise it's normal! :D Oh, make sure you have a long sleeved top on and use gloves to be safe as LPG is very, very, very cold and can cause burns.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

thanks
Mark
No shouldn't need anything on the threads, just the same as when connecting your calor bottle, if it's from the makers you should have a small bottle of joint testing stuff if not you can get it from any plumbers merchant or some folks just use washing up liquid, just run some on your joints and if it doesn't bubble you are done(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is not a lot more you can add actually , it's just screw it together.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If you're in any doubt, I live in the New Forest up near Fordingbrige, I also have Gaslow fitted though I had mine done when all the other stuff was being fitted by Eddie Van-Bitz.

You're welcome to call up and copy my layout or even call up for assistance fitting it all, plenty of room to park too.

Griff

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I have gasit system identical to the gaslow. They have a youtube channel for all the installation hints and tips: Have a look at their channel (its really that easy!)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My first thoughts was to have the filler inside the locker, only because i do not like the idea of cutting holes in my van.
The problem with that is that some garages both in the UK and abroad may refuse to allow you to fill in the mistaken belief that you are filling calor type bottles.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
If your inside the locker make sure the fill point is accessible with the garage filler, ie not too near the edge or door, the filler is a heavy lump of kit and needs a bit of space. If your drilling your van use a proper hole cutter and make sure that the filler point is well supported and easily accessible for the filler.
I used a Gasit supplied bracket and it worked fine.
I am sure you'll be fine and enjoy the savings you'll make both with the install and future gas purchases.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
The problem with that is that some garages both in the UK and abroad may refuse to allow you to fill in the mistaken belief that you are filling calor type bottles.
Mine has been inside the locker now for 7 years. Filled up numerous times both in the UK and France. Never been questioned or refused.

Andy

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My first thought was that you must be confident to drill a hole in your bodywork.

When I first had mine fitted professionally by Autogas, Thirsk, I asked someone at the garage to fill it for me as i was wary about the fitting... On BOTH OCCASIONS .. and this is the point of my post .. before they walked to my van they asked if it was an EXTERNAL filler. @peterc10 says ... you could be refused gas if they spot it is inside your locker.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mine has been inside the locker now for 7 years. Filled up numerous times both in the UK and France. Never been questioned or refused.

Andy
We'd had an internal filler since 2009 and its only in the last 18 months that we've had 2 refusals so I've moved it outside partly for that reason but also because as it's a PVC it was a pain having to open the rear doors fully then the gas locker to do the fill, letting rain etc in and the smell from the small amount of gas that vents when you release the nozzle made the camper stink for ages afterwards. Instead of fitting the large circular fill point I bought one of the much smaller square ones and put it in my rear bumper:

gas filler 2.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Mark James where's your gas locker?

(lovely avatar by the way!)

OP
OP
Mark James
Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Thanks Mel, the Gas locker is on the drivers side behind the rear wheel, as shown

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 36

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Like you I was apprehensive
Gasit Fill point.jpg
about cutting a hole in the outside, indeed anywhere, but Gasit sell a set of 2 hole cutters designed for the job and they are cheap. I have a diesel filler on the opposite side to my bottles so I fitted my gas filler inside that locker below the diesel filler to give some credence to the statement if asked that it is for the engine! But its not really a locker as the picture shows.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Most times I fill with diesel first ask them to hold the charge then go to the Gas pump and with no gas bottles visible as they are on the other side I have only ever been tested once, in France, but the manager looked out saw the fill point and said fine!

OP
OP
Mark James
Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
OK, so all fitted and only a few problems, it looks like my cylinder has a small leak, how much of a worry is this please?
Incidentally I have not touched this particular fitting it was already connected to the cylinder
Thanks all
upload_2017-8-14_18-1-59.png

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You should see to that leak, even if it small. Confirm which connection it's coming from, soapy water will bubble up, and try to gently nip up that connection by a small amount, 1/8th of a turn should be more than enough. If that doesn't sort it I would take the connection apart , clean it thoroughly then replace - you shouldn't need to use and form of sealant and never PDF tape.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
A "little" leak can result in a BIG explosion.... so get it fixed ASAP!!!!1
Cheers, Dave(y)