Suggestions for filling internal water tank? (1 Viewer)

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Hi all,

The father-in-law recently had a Renault Master van conversion completed and we're lucky to get to use it! Being a complete newbie could I gather some suggestions on the best way to fill the internal fresh water tank please? I'm keen to use a watering can or jerry can rather than pull up to the water pipe. Given access to the tank is a bit awkward I'm thinking syphoning with a short bit of hose or perhaps some PVC pipe constructed to act as a funnel should do the trick?

IMG_20180404_201804.jpg

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When we can’t get to a tap we use a 15 litre watering can. I assume you remove the red cap to fill, if that’s the case, you should be able to get the watering can in without using a funnel.
We got the watering can from B&Q
Is there any chance of getting an external filler point fitted? It would make things a lot easier.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I bought a piece of flexible bendy hose that fits on the end of the watering can and it means I can fill it externally if can't get hosepipe to reach it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jason Scott

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Thanks all. We don't have an external filling point so I'll check out B&Q. We have our first weekend camp starting Friday. Very excited! :)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd make up a 'funnel' with pvc waste-pipe and fittings. Make sure that it is a bigger bore than your watering can nozzle and is self-standing/supporting (also not been used for waste). You will need both hands to control the watering can and your aim, unless you want to mop the floor every time!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That cupboard space for the water container looks like constructed from ordinary MDF. You will need to keep it dry and not spill water around when filling up. I don’t think that you will have room to carry a dedicated watering can in the van so my advice would be to carry a 5 litre food grade plastic fresh water container which can be filled daily from the tap and kept clean and dry between trips. You can use this for drinking water.
When necessary, top up the tank using a funnel, ferrying the water in the 5 litre container.
Try and get a rigid container so that it is easier to hold steady when pouring and mop up any splashes.

Enjoy your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hosepipe with tap on end doesn’t come much easier surely!
The OP said he didn’t want to have to pull up to the tap.
Carrying a hosepipe is a bit of a luxury in a small van conversion, I know from years of VW camping. He probably doesn’t have “garage” type locker space.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Carrying a hosepipe is a bit of a luxury in a small van conversion, I know from years of VW camping. He probably doesn’t have “garage” type locker space.

Borrow someone elses hose:D

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Flat hose in holder 1” wide, 40’ long would fit under seat if you needed it to, no need to drive to tap, no problem!

735B3F25-0C86-4C92-9D0D-C93DB02F036F.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jason Scott

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for the continued suggestions. We have some storage space (it's a long wheelbase van) but I definitely want to be conservative. We don't plan on drinking from the fresh water tank unless it's boiled.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It's a good point riverbankannie makes about MDF. If it gets wet, it will fall apart.
Rather than a funnel, you might be able to modify the spout of a plastic watering can. If not, fit the pvc pipe to the can.
A 'stretchy' hose is light and does not take up much space. Although you don't care for that idea, it'd take up less space than a watering can. Alternatively, take both: you could store the hose inside the can.
A collapsible water carrier may be more useful than a can, because you could also use it to carry extra water with you, but getting water into the tank from one of those could be difficult and, as said, you don't want it to be splashing about.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
That cupboard space for the water container looks like constructed from ordinary MDF. You will need to keep it dry and not spill water around when filling up. I don’t think that you will have room to carry a dedicated watering can in the van so my advice would be to carry a 5 litre food grade plastic fresh water container which can be filled daily from the tap and kept clean and dry between trips. You can use this for drinking water.
When necessary, top up the tank using a funnel, ferrying the water in the 5 litre container.
Try and get a rigid container so that it is easier to hold steady when pouring and mop up any splashes.

Enjoy your trip.
cant see why you think its mdf?unpainted edge on the upright to the left of picture looks to be ply

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jason Scott

Jason Scott

Free Member
Apr 2, 2018
Funster No
Been over to B&Q and bought a 7l watering can and a metal hose attachment which I've been able to 'screw' onto the spout, with the metal biting into the plastic. I'll cut a length of hose tonight and give it a go :)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We don't plan on drinking from the fresh water tank unless it's boiled.

The tank and piping look like a proper food grade, so why not ?

Re filling it, A flat food grade hose is the best advice..

Longer tern ask FIL if he wouldn't consider fitting an external filler point..

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I know you say you don't have an external filling point, in the picture a blue hose connects to what looks very much like the rear of an external filling point, if its not what is it??

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I know you say you don't have an external filling point, in the picture a blue hose connects to what looks very much like the rear of an external filling point, if its not what is it??

looks like the pump to me

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
looks like the pump to me
Yep could be, but thought a small tank like that would have an internal pump, then again I would have thought it would also have an external filling point. Looking again I think your are right...thanks!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back