Suggestions for camera bag in motorhome (1 Viewer)

Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
Evening all. We are new to motorhoming, as we only picked up our Benimar Mileo 202 a couple of months ago.
We have traveled extensively in our Land Rover Discovery and I always kept my DSLR kit close to hand in a Tamrac bag stored on the centre armrest (th back was kitted out with expedition gear).
I have downsized all my kit and have invested in 2 Olympus OMD EM-1 Mk2 bodies and a variety of pro lenses. I like to have a camera handy so that SWMBO can snap as we travel and have easy access to the remaining kit for when we stop somewhere pretty.
I still have a few different bags, but I wondered if any of you have come up with the 'ideal' storage solution for a motorhome?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Could you make a box that will go between the two front seats? make it strong enough to take your weight then you won’t have to move it. Bolt it to the floor put a lock on it it will act as a night safe as well. For passports etc. That’s what I intend to do during the winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
Our front seats swivel and form part of the lounge, so we need to keep the gap clear. Nice idea though :D

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Gaz is a very keen photographer, maybe he can give advise because he has lots of gear, ? ? infact far too much for his lovely little wife Julie to carry, but she only has herself to blame because she buys it for him. ?? Bob.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
In one of the trays under the captains seats?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a cheap man-bag with lots of zips and compartments but mostly my camera stuff, also Olympus, lives in a small rucksack so it is ready to be taken with me on walks. When we are travelling it sits behind the driver's seat. When we stop it goes in front.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
My husband is a keen photographer and he too has a Tamrac bag. It sits in the footwell to the left of the steering column when driving or parked up. It’s always to hand.

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like there’s plenty of variation, so it looks like I’ll just have figure it out myself?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
As a long term photographer I have founded that there are so many bags to choose from that any suggestion may not suit you, firstly will the bag be used to store all your kit in the van or will it be used to carry your expected kit that you may be taking out with you? Different sized bags, do you want a satchel or back pack ? Do you walk a lot with your kit, maybe a Lowepro with back opening.
Can I suggest you call at a Wex store where they have a great selection to choose from.

I have had a secret compartment built under a step for security so I don’t bother with a bag at all now

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Evening all. We are new to motorhoming, as we only picked up our Benimar Mileo 202 a couple of months ago.
We have traveled extensively in our Land Rover Discovery and I always kept my DSLR kit close to hand in a Tamrac bag stored on the centre armrest (th back was kitted out with expedition gear).
I have downsized all my kit and have invested in 2 Olympus OMD EM-1 Mk2 bodies and a variety of pro lenses. I like to have a camera handy so that SWMBO can snap as we travel and have easy access to the remaining kit for when we stop somewhere pretty.
I still have a few different bags, but I wondered if any of you have come up with the 'ideal' storage solution for a motorhome?
I tried a few different bags whenI moved over to the Nikon
I found the Optex Photomate SP500 best suited my needs.. Its a semi rigid case so can take a knock while still protecting the camera and lenses

1571039827092.png

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
notice 7 Day shop what appeared to be a smallis bag .Got it and it turned out to be quite commodious . 3 lens, Dslr. filters cards cleaning stuff and still plenty of space, Waterproof cover and room for waterproof jackets, £17 I think

Last edited:

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
7 day shop got a smallish one can fit 2 bodies a couple of lens'es and it will also fit inside a standard backpack great when you need an extra bag.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
As most people who know me realise I am almost NEVER without a camera (real one not just a phone )
I have used many different bags through the years (started when I was 5 and I'm now 65) the one I use at present is ideal as it is a rucksack so can be used on a bicycle.
Unfortunately it is no longer available as it is quite old - it's made by LowePro so is QUALITY
they still produce a similar product just half the size

I always look at photography acquisitions in this way
Buy the most expensive I can find
then don't look again until it can no longer do the job

E.G. just replaced my Slik66 tripod purchased in 1968 for £35 - it was one made for professional video producers and could go from 78 inch to flat and the centre post inverted to let you get down to touching the ground (great for macro insects and plants) the replacement is another Slik but cost £200 that should last me my life out

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I use Fujifilm cameras and lenses, only slightly bigger than the Olympus you're using.

Beginning of this year I finally indulged myself with a Billingham Hadley One, my dream bag.

I must say usage has proven the dream to be true. It is light, extremely practical and versatile, silent when opening, rigorously weatherproof and I find it beautiful :)

The bag is very very tough and should last decades.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Crumpler make some nice small camera bags that also don't really look like camera bags, so good if wandering about with it in town.

20191105_172625.jpg

OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
Thanks for all the comments and ideas. In the end I have gone for a Peak Design 30l Everyday Backpack.
I have found that it can carry 2 bodies, all 5 lenses (7-14, 12-40, 40-150, 14-42 & 60 macro) , teleconverter, 2 speedlights, my 15" macbook pro, iPad and still have room for a jacket, jumper or waterproofs.
I found the way that you can reconfigure it 'on the fly' depending upon what lenses are mounted especially good.
I even managed to bag £44 off at the wex open day.
It sits comfortably behind the driver's seat and is very comfortable in use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back