suggest a wifi signal booster? (1 Viewer)

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Thats damn good info thank you, so i could also fry eggs (and brain) on the thing possibly.
Getting the right window near a power source could be tricky but i still can fasten the thing outside, this i feel is better than roof mounting and another hole through the roof.
More pondering i feel is the order of the day.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
If you don't have BT broadband it would be worth getting Fon to enable you to get better value from your iboost. I have very rarely been on a WiFi signal that was not Fon (2 camperstops in Spain).

Martin
Another good shout.
I am with Virgin 60mb in the house, Fon is another box of tricks and more expense plus possibly paying site wifi so trying to get free if possible. Open to good ideas like this though so thanks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thats damn good info thank you, so i could also fry eggs (and brain) on the thing possibly.

Eggs no, but brain, no-one knows for sure. Eyes are vulnerable, the radiation could cause cataracts.

The ones that concern me are advertised on ebay at 2000mW power, illegal I think but still on sale. Someone could be sat for weeks right next to one of these oblivious to any danger.

Outside on a sucker, the van metal screening you, that is playing it safe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I got one of the Solwise aerials from Jims Shop but the software is on a mini Cd - can it be downloaded from anywhere? Only I don't have a CD drive on my laptop.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
This is my setup and it works quite well, managed to pull in a lot of free or fon and wifi on our recent trip to France and Italy.
The mast bracket adhesive adaptors are relatively small and unobtrusive when fitted.
The USB connector runs through my external mains socket box.
Inside I either connect direct to my laptop or into my usb mini router so SWMBO can use her Nexus.
2014-07-10100313_zps7efc9483.jpg.html

2014-07-10100304_zps8b8456ff.jpg.html

2014-07-10100344_zpsd7a23b50.jpg.html

Tried to upload photos through photobucket, but they dont seem to work.
Will now try and put them in my album.
How do you now do that?

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/eddyeagles/media/2014-07-10100320_zps82cc61ad.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-M...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27e6e64e91

And two of these

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Thanks for this, I'm ready to buy but the pole one with roof fixing is £269 and is weaker as omni. With your reverse fixing and interior use that sounds a better option to me.
It has a signal indicator does it, that sounds ideal.
I don't have Fon though so guess if non site i just turn slowly and scan ?

It does have better ultimate performance, but does require a bit more work to get it set to deliver that extra performance. Not difficult, just takes a few minutes of trial & error to get it fine tuned.

I have a skylight I can reach through & a handy shelf near to it where the iBoost lives, so I usually put mine on the roof, for ultimate performance. Skylight seals are less forgiving than window seals, so I also got the optional flat cable to run from the aerial to the router.

If you are not a BT customer, a one-off purchase of a FON router (approx 34 euro) will give you access to all BT Fon spots in the UK, plus the equivalent world-wide. France is well served by their BT counterpart.

The iBoost isn't the cheapest option, but you are tapping into first class support from Adam & Sophie at MotorhomeWifi. Other solutions are fine if you have the knowledge to manage on your own, but if this is new territory for you, the backup, the simplicity & the quality of the unit all make it good value for money.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Another fan of iboost here. Brilliant piece of kit . I am sure there are cheaper devices on the market but it really is good. In a site in Normandy last year I pointed it at the nearest visible wifi aerial and then connected all my family ( including my brother 5 vans away) to the internet on one voucher.

It has saved me lots of money because I always need wifi for work.

On a number of sites in France there is free wifi in the reception area. If you can get a clear view of reception then it brings the signal into the van.

In Tours last year I picked up the local visitor information office, which was free and super fast.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
This is my setup and it works quite well, managed to pull in a lot of free or fon and wifi on our recent trip to France and Italy.
The mast bracket adhesive adaptors are relatively small and unobtrusive when fitted.
Inside I either connect direct to my laptop or into my usb mini router so SWMBO can use her Nexus.
2014-07-10100313_zps7efc9483.jpg.html

2014-07-10100304_zps8b8456ff.jpg.html

2014-07-10100344_zpsd7a23b50.jpg.html

Tried to upload photos through photobucket, but they dont seem to work.
Will now try and put them in my album.
How do you now do that?

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/eddyeagles/media/2014-07-10100320_zps82cc61ad.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-M...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27e6e64e91

And two of these

Broken Link Removed

Thanks for this but we are talking Non USB systems here.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It does have better ultimate performance, but does require a bit more work to get it set to deliver that extra performance. Not difficult, just takes a few minutes of trial & error to get it fine tuned.

I have a skylight I can reach through & a handy shelf near to it where the iBoost lives, so I usually put mine on the roof, for ultimate performance. Skylight seals are less forgiving than window seals, so I also got the optional flat cable to run from the aerial to the router.

If you are not a BT customer, a one-off purchase of a FON router (approx 34 euro) will give you access to all BT Fon spots in the UK, plus the equivalent world-wide. France is well served by their BT counterpart.

The iBoost isn't the cheapest option, but you are tapping into first class support from Adam & Sophie at MotorhomeWifi. Other solutions are fine if you have the knowledge to manage on your own, but if this is new territory for you, the backup, the simplicity & the quality of the unit all make it good value for money.

Ah a good shout, i will look at the FON router then, that seems a good shout thanks

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Because of the tie up between Fon & BT, they keep the availability of the separate Fon router a bit quiet. If you follow the links from the Fon home page, you get pointed towards having BT as your home ISP.

This link takes you straight into the Fon store. The bad news is that once again, they appear to be out of stock. This has happened a lot recently, but people do say that they come back into stock, so it may be worth registering your interest. I got mine about 8 months ago with no problem.

https://shop.fon.com/en/products/all

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Because of the tie up between Fon & BT, they keep the availability of the separate Fon router a bit quiet. If you follow the links from the Fon home page, you get pointed towards having BT as your home ISP.

This link takes you straight into the Fon store. The bad news is that once again, they appear to be out of stock. This has happened a lot recently, but people do say that they come back into stock, so it may be worth registering your interest. I got mine about 8 months ago with no problem.

https://shop.fon.com/en/products/all
Thanks, i have left my email for when they come back online.
I will research the security side to ensure i am happy with this shared access before i commit though.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks, i have left my email for when they come back online.
I will research the security side to ensure i am happy with this shared access before i commit though.

When you say shared access do you mean allowing others to use your. iboost signal?

If so, it is password protected.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
When you say shared access do you mean allowing others to use your. iboost signal?

If so, it is password protected.
From the Fon site:
The Fonera will give you access to the world's largest WiFi network and use all of Fon’s hotspots around the world for free. The Fonera will allow you to join our community by splitting your WiFi signal in two: a private signal that is just for you and a public signal that you share with the rest of the Fon network.
and
1 Fon network SSID (FON_FREE_INTERNET) for public use, 1 private WPA-PSK encrypted SSID (MyPlace) for personal use.

You set how much bandwidth you will allow to be shared. Mine is set to 1mbs, as I get around 18mbs total. I didn't want to encourage hours of streaming video. In practice, I don't think anyone has ever used it, despite being in a town. Apart from somebody walking past, I don't suppose there is much need - parking within range is pretty much impossible. You get a log of users - nobody on it but me testing it out, although I don't know how accurate it is. Another log is supposed to show you where you have logged in elsewhere, but apparently, I haven't (although I have!).

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
From the Fon site:

and

You set how much bandwidth you will allow to be shared. Mine is set to 1mbs, as I get around 18mbs total. I didn't want to encourage hours of streaming video. In practice, I don't think anyone has ever used it, despite being in a town. Apart from somebody walking past, I don't suppose there is much need - parking within range is pretty much impossible. You get a log of users - nobody on it but me testing it out, although I don't know how accurate it is. Another log is supposed to show you where you have logged in elsewhere, but apparently, I haven't (although I have!).

Got it thanks.
I get about 60mb so obviously need to control it.
Once the Fon gadget comes back online i will buy, it will help me generally around the place with iPhones/ipads and the camper is just a bonus.
Thanks a lot matey :O)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Two problems to consider. You need a window and space inside all pointing in the right direction.

Some of these aerials pump out 1000x more microwave energy than a mobile phone and it's still being debated just what damage this does to humans, so personally I thing a powerful aerial outside with the van shielding you is better than one inside with the van becoming a low wattage microwave cooker.

Phew, thought I was getting hot last time out ;)

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011

Like it ?
Do you have a link to the mini router by any chance ?
[/QUOTE]

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
The usb router i use is like this, however I got it from Motorhome wifi, it was an old type that they sold, you need to make sure that it is compatible with the antenna, so prior to buying confirm from the supplier that it is suitable.
Relatively easy to set up, if you know your way around a computer, it is not plug and play.
Mine is great and I like the search facility which allows me to pick which signal I want to use.
http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-usbwifirpt-3000.html

Paul_Richardson

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
Own Van Conversion
Exp
Two problems to consider. You need a window and space inside all pointing in the right direction.

Some of these aerials pump out 1000x more microwave energy than a mobile phone and it's still being debated just what damage this does to humans, so personally I thing a powerful aerial outside with the van shielding you is better than one inside with the van becoming a low wattage microwave cooker.

Hi there,

I'm a little confused, how does an aerial generate microwave energy, I thought it was a receiver?

Regards,

Paul

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
WiFi (like the internet in general) is two way. You both transmit & receive. Aerials can do both - it's just that we have all got used to the TV signal being one way, so our roof top TV aerials are only used to receive.

In practice, there is little point in turning up the transmit power too much, because you only control one side of the link. You may have a better aerial than the one on the router you are linking to, but you can't turn up their transmit power, so your ability to receive will be the ultimate limiting factor - however much you blast in their direction. :cautious:

I have the directional aerial, so on the few occasions I do use it inside the van, it is pointing out through the window, rather than broadcasting at (& through) me. I usually reach through the skylight & put it on the roof though - noticeably better reception when on the limit. With the omni-directional aerial, it's even more important to put it outside:
1. it's bigger & would be in the way
2. you couldn't avoid being transmitted through (brain-fry worries etc)
3. as it's not as effective as the directional aerial, it's even more important to have it outside the van's shielding effect & as high above the ground as possible.

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just a technical point, a aerial receives signals an antena both sends & receives signals! One thing I learned from my signals course:mask:

Mike

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Is there a aerial or booster for a non USB tablets that picks up faint roaming network signals ie, Vodafone net, access that can be picked up.
On most sites there is payg Wifi or a distant useless roaming signal.
It looks like most of the boosters listed here are for WIFI

Paul_Richardson

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
Own Van Conversion
Exp
WiFi (like the internet in general) is two way. You both transmit & receive. Aerials can do both - it's just that we have all got used to the TV signal being one way, so our roof top TV aerials are only used to receive.

Hi there,

I completely forgot that WiFi is two way, whoops.

Regards,

Paul

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Is there a aerial or booster for a non USB tablets that picks up faint roaming network signals ie, Vodafone net, access that can be picked up.
Yes, several these days. All the above are WiFi only, but there are now systems available that will combine 3G, 4G & WiFi in the same unit, or you can stick to separate units - one for 3 & 4G & another for WiFi.

I have a Deltenna WiBE, because that's what was available at the time, but there have been several more products come onto the market recently.

A good place to start is http://www.motorhomewifi.com/
Lots of info & good advice on there & Adam is a helpful member on this forum. There may be cheaper ways of doing what you want, but if you are not technically minded, Adam & Sophie are very good at assessing what you need & then giving proper support once you have got it. You stand a much better chance of getting it right first time.

Also exhibiting at Malvern were http://www.wifionboard.co.uk/
Their background is boats rather than vehicles, but it's all the same technology. I wouldn't know how to compare the technical specifications, but their external 3/4G antennae (thanks Mike!) look very neat & very robust.

In this market, there is a lot to be said for 'best value' rather than 'lowest cost'. Most of us need to buy in expertise as well as product.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As always thanks for the mentions and kind words on our products, I rarely have to chip in these days as Funsters are so knowledgeable :)

My preference would be to keep any 3/4G system separate from a WiFi system. We do have a cross over router which would add 3/4G functionality to the iBoost (sold similarly elsewhere) but its a bit 'clunky' and doesn't do 2G. For the same reason we discontinued the USB router mentioned earlier and now listed in Jim's shop - the official UK importer say "this unit is far from consumer friendly" - we had a 35% support rate on that unit vs just 3% for the iBoost (yes, we're that sad). In addition any 3/4G device should be portable - take it out for the day, take it on holiday (without the van) or use it in the car.

The only way to 'boost' the 3/4G signal for a tablet (legally and without cooking your insides) would be to remove the data SIM card in your tablet and place into an external device (eg a MiFi) which has an external antenna socket - because your tablet won't have one. This will allow you to attach an external window / roof mounted antenna to improve your reception.

However, if you have a Vodafone SIM you might as well not bother - their data coverage is so poor - so perhaps try a Three / EE SIM (assuming your tablet is unlocked) before resorting to external hardware which may detract from the portability of your tablet.

Come and see us at a show if you'd like a free alternative SIM to try - I'm willing to bet that would be better than Vodafone.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
How tech savvy are you? I have got one of these

Broken Link Removed

Connected to one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2011...f11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

It is as versatile as any iboost type device, offers a wifi network inside your van, works as a wifi booster AND 3G hub with simcard. All for nearly half the price.

The user interface though is not as user friendly as devices like the Iboost.

Dick

Jimbost

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Rochester Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking for an RV
Exp
MH Since 2011 Caravaning since 1978
Fitted the Iboost Omni with roof fitting about three months ago. Also signed up for the Fonera deal.
I fitted the antenna so I could open the main roof vent and erect the antenna. It takes seconds unlock it, stand the antenna upright and lock it again. The Fonera access is great as I can now get free wifi anywhere there is a BT hotspot or Fon Hot spot. When you connect the Fonera access point to your router at home you create a Hotspot that anyone signed up to Fon or BT can access. It uses limited bandwidth but does not affect me at all and has no access to your home network. Granted the Omni Iboost is expense but paired with the Fonera deal at £36 for free wifi forever is really works well.

The Iboost wireless router in the Motorhome works exactly like your WiFi system at home. Login and wander around if you are travelling with friends they can log in from their motorhome too. We have a strong signal 50m away The furthest hotspot we have connected to so far has been 2Km away.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
The support from Motorhome wifi has been excellent so please consider after sales when making your choice.

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I also finally got my purse out and bought the Fonera and the directional iboost gadget, it all works very well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back