suggest a wifi signal booster?

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by jaygee, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +26,780
    I like the directional I boost , it gives greater range than the omni version and when you are at the end of a site you stand a better chance of a reasonable signal.

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

Ratings:
    +115
    IBoost is very good but is also very expensive. Have a look in Jims shop!

3. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
  4. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    Jims shop ?

5. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    How do you identify the best signal direction please ?

6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +26,780
    If on site it's easy, site the antenna unit inside a window which views towards reception or a transmitting antenna and point your antenna in that direction. Once set up you can watch the signal strength display and adjust direction if necessary.
    If looking to pick up BTFon etc then aim in direction of houses etc.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +41,194
    Look at the advertising banners on the right JIM'S SHOP.

The aerial plugs into a suitable USB socket but if you have a tablet with no USB you buy the the othe box of tricks as well and plug the aerial into that which then becomes your local WiFi hot spot for several devices at once.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for this, I'm ready to buy but the pole one with roof fixing is £269 and is weaker as omni. With your reverse fixing and interior use that sounds a better option to me.
    It has a signal indicator does it, that sounds ideal.
    I don't have Fon though so guess if non site i just turn slowly and scan ?

9. hilldweller

Ratings:
    +41,194
    Two problems to consider. You need a window and space inside all pointing in the right direction.

Some of these aerials pump out 1000x more microwave energy than a mobile phone and it's still being debated just what damage this does to humans, so personally I thing a powerful aerial outside with the van shielding you is better than one inside with the van becoming a low wattage microwave cooker.

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,394
    If you don't have BT broadband it would be worth getting Fon to enable you to get better value from your iboost. I have very rarely been on a WiFi signal that was not Fon (2 camperstops in Spain).

Martin

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    Thats damn good info thank you, so i could also fry eggs (and brain) on the thing possibly.
    Getting the right window near a power source could be tricky but i still can fasten the thing outside, this i feel is better than roof mounting and another hole through the roof.
    More pondering i feel is the order of the day.

12. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    Another good shout.
    I am with Virgin 60mb in the house, Fon is another box of tricks and more expense plus possibly paying site wifi so trying to get free if possible. Open to good ideas like this though so thanks.

13. hilldweller

Ratings:
    +41,194
    Eggs no, but brain, no-one knows for sure. Eyes are vulnerable, the radiation could cause cataracts.

The ones that concern me are advertised on ebay at 2000mW power, illegal I think but still on sale. Someone could be sat for weeks right next to one of these oblivious to any danger.

Outside on a sucker, the van metal screening you, that is playing it safe.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. Caztur

Caztur Funster

Ratings:
    +227
    I got one of the Solwise aerials from Jims Shop but the software is on a mini Cd - can it be downloaded from anywhere? Only I don't have a CD drive on my laptop.

15. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Ratings:
    +15,724
    This is my setup and it works quite well, managed to pull in a lot of free or fon and wifi on our recent trip to France and Italy.
    The mast bracket adhesive adaptors are relatively small and unobtrusive when fitted.
    The USB connector runs through my external mains socket box.
    Inside I either connect direct to my laptop or into my usb mini router so SWMBO can use her Nexus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tried to upload photos through photobucket, but they dont seem to work.
    Will now try and put them in my album.
    How do you now do that?

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/eddyeagles/media/2014-07-10100320_zps82cc61ad.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330858925715?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarion-C...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item27cdec48c9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-M...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27e6e64e91

And two of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VISION-PL...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item43b055b67b

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  16. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Ratings:
    +3,462
    It does have better ultimate performance, but does require a bit more work to get it set to deliver that extra performance. Not difficult, just takes a few minutes of trial & error to get it fine tuned.

I have a skylight I can reach through & a handy shelf near to it where the iBoost lives, so I usually put mine on the roof, for ultimate performance. Skylight seals are less forgiving than window seals, so I also got the optional flat cable to run from the aerial to the router.

If you are not a BT customer, a one-off purchase of a FON router (approx 34 euro) will give you access to all BT Fon spots in the UK, plus the equivalent world-wide. France is well served by their BT counterpart.

The iBoost isn't the cheapest option, but you are tapping into first class support from Adam & Sophie at MotorhomeWifi. Other solutions are fine if you have the knowledge to manage on your own, but if this is new territory for you, the backup, the simplicity & the quality of the unit all make it good value for money.

• Like it Like it x 2
  17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +99,295
    Another fan of iboost here. Brilliant piece of kit . I am sure there are cheaper devices on the market but it really is good. In a site in Normandy last year I pointed it at the nearest visible wifi aerial and then connected all my family ( including my brother 5 vans away) to the internet on one voucher.

It has saved me lots of money because I always need wifi for work.

On a number of sites in France there is free wifi in the reception area. If you can get a clear view of reception then it brings the signal into the van.

In Tours last year I picked up the local visitor information office, which was free and super fast.

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for this but we are talking Non USB systems here.

19. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    Ah a good shout, i will look at the FON router then, that seems a good shout thanks

20. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Ratings:
    +3,462
    Because of the tie up between Fon & BT, they keep the availability of the separate Fon router a bit quiet. If you follow the links from the Fon home page, you get pointed towards having BT as your home ISP.

This link takes you straight into the Fon store. The bad news is that once again, they appear to be out of stock. This has happened a lot recently, but people do say that they come back into stock, so it may be worth registering your interest. I got mine about 8 months ago with no problem.

https://shop.fon.com/en/products/all

• Like it Like it x 1