Suffolk Advice please (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

Our plan is to explore further some of the UK's counties and we're starting with Suffolk.

Do you have any campsites you would recommend:

with ehu
very near access to public transport
any right by the coast?
short walking distance nearby pub/restaurant

POI

Any suggestions please? :)

Apr 1, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo
Exp
hi

not sure if your a member of the C&M club but one site I would recommend is Old House Farm CL site its just on the edge of Suffolk but it ticks all your boxes and its a lovely quiet site, a lot of places we go don't always have public transport but worth a look are Run Cottage touring Park near Woodbridge and Church farm Caravan site in Aldeburgh this one is right next to the beach and you can walk to Thorpness from here which is beautiful and typically Suffolk as is Aldeburgh

OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
hi

not sure if your a member of the C&M club but one site I would recommend is Old House Farm CL site its just on the edge of Suffolk but it ticks all your boxes and its a lovely quiet site, a lot of places we go don't always have public transport but worth a look are Run Cottage touring Park near Woodbridge and Church farm Caravan site in Aldeburgh this one is right next to the beach and you can walk to Thorpness from here which is beautiful and typically Suffolk as is Aldeburgh

That was quick! Yes, members of C&M, will have a look at your suggestions. Many thanks. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 1, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo
Exp
should be working, but this site is more interesting :active: :D only the first site is a club site the other two are good but are a bit more expensive but they are in nice areas to explore.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Only advice I can give is ...............

DON'T GO THERE

:D:D:D

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The Cakes and Ale site near Leiston is lovely. Not on the coast but only a few miles to drive and we found lots of places to park up. We highly recommend the RSPB site and Constable Country. It's a fabulous county with a lovely relaxed pace of life. I'm sure @Mr Ed will agree that it's so much nicer than Norfolk :) (Only joking. They are both nice counties.)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The area that we visit regularly, we love the area but it's not for everyone. The Cakes and ale as already mentioned. The Vulcan arms a small CL and pub on the beach at Sizewell with local music on a Friday, Beach View a larger site also at Sizewell, Cliff House holiday park up towards Dunwich, there is a larger site at Aldeburg with plenty of pubs in the village. One of my likes is the Eels Foot Inn site right on Minsmere rspb also with local music at the weekend. http://www.theeelsfootinn.co.uk/
There are also nice farm sites around Saxmunden too.
Enjoy.....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Suffolk.. public transport , same sentence.. .. :LOL: .

we live here and love it, but public transport ? .. Last time we had a bus it was a stagecoach that went from London to Lowestoft ..

Great cycling county and wonderful quiet villages that time forgot, deserted beaches and great coastal walking.. but very few campsites with the criteria you want.

To add to buttons suggestions..

Forrest Camping in Rendlesham forest .. nice walking and cycling in the forest, visit the famous UFO landing site .. no pubs nearby.
http://www.forestcamping.co.uk/

Run Cottage Touring Park in Hollesley village. Pub in village and close to Shingle Street beach.
http://www.runcottage.co.uk/

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Sycamore Camping in Theberton lovely 20 pitch adults only site, pub nearby, within cycling distance to Minsmere and Leiston.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Suffolk.. public transport , same sentence.. .. :LOL: .

we live here and love it, but public transport ? .. Last time we had a bus it was a stagecoach that went from London to Lowestoft ..

Great cycling county and wonderful quiet villages that time forgot, deserted beaches and great coastal walking.. but very few campsites with the criteria you want.

To add to buttons suggestions..

Forrest Camping in Rendlesham forest .. nice walking and cycling in the forest, visit the famous UFO landing site .. no pubs nearby.
http://www.forestcamping.co.uk/

Run Cottage Touring Park in Hollesley village. Pub in village and close to Shingle Street beach.
http://www.runcottage.co.uk/
What is the name of the site near you with the Blacksmith shop at the entrance Jim, cant think of the name just now..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Bury St Edmunds is well worth a visit. There are spaces for 5 motorhomes at Ram Meadow car park (£2:30 per day. £ 1 overnight) it's a few minutes walk from Abbey Gardens and the town centre.
Lots to see, good restaurants everywhere.

OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, much appreciated. :)

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Another vote for Run Cottage, been there twice now. Small site but clean and well run, there is a pub within walking distance first 500 yards of road is a bit twitchy if dark but don't let that put you off.

Mark.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hmmmmm. My folks live in Suffolk.
They also have a a static at Cakes and Ale site mentioned earlier. ( bloody rip off place with weird owners and middle of nowhere)
I'm at their house now whilst van is in for repair ( long story!)
All I can say is.......zzzzzzzzz
Can't wait to get away. Boring county.
But if you like fetes and Morris men, craft fairs and peace and quiet,and seaside towns with overpriced everything and poncy folk then it's great!

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
They also have a a static at Cakes and Ale site mentioned earlier. ( bloody rip off place with weird owners and middle of nowhere)
But if you like fetes and Morris men, craft fairs and peace and quiet,and seaside towns with overpriced everything and poncy folk then it's great!
You need to get out a bit more matey..

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
southwold is a lovely site during the week but no hook ups last time we went also very busy weekends

OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

Sorry to hear Dave that your parents have a problem with their van, sounds a lot of frustration there for you and them, hope it all gets sorted soon.
Have travelled quite a lot of the world, even some quite wild amazing places where unfortunately it's not possible to go to safely these days. Wanted to explore our own country now, and only have a few days at a time to do this at the moment, so starting with Suffolk as it's relatively near.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We were at Shingle Street a couple of weeks ago. There is a 6'6" restriction sign at the start of the dead end road, because a badger sett has collapsed and taken the road with it! There is now a metal section with metal rails to chest height to cross, just after the 90deg bend, but our Aclass went over quite happily, with at least an inch to spare on both sides. (y)

Slightly worse was a fallen tree/ivy mess which required driving into the hedge on one side and the ivy on the other, but hopefully it will have been cleared by now :)

Gordon

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Our plan is to explore further some of the UK's counties and we're starting with Suffolk.

Do you have any campsites you would recommend:

with ehu
very near access to public transport
any right by the coast?
short walking distance nearby pub/restaurant

POI

Any suggestions please? :)
When we had the camper we enjoyed this site
Expensive but quiet
www.moon-sixpence.co.uk/

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Church Farm Alderburgh - on the coast on the edge of the village/town

Lonely Farm Saxmundham

Mill Farm Yoxford

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
@BreweryDave Wondered whether your parents' van is all fixed now?
It was my van (MH) which was knackered ! Parents had a static on the cakes and ale site which I took advantage of as accommodation whilst my MH is off the road as we FT. They have now sold it as of yesterday ( they live in Eye in Suffolk now, they love the county!) and we now find ourselves at the mercy of the MiL until we get our van fixed and back on the road and over the water next week.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
What is the name of the site near you with the Blacksmith shop at the entrance Jim, cant think of the name just now..

Run cottage, the owner is a blacksmith. Another site is Pewit in felixstowe.

OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
@BreweryDave Sorry, me being thick I expect. Hope you get fixed up soon and back to your freedom on the road.

Thanks again you lovely Funsters for all your input - update is that we will now go to Suffolk in October instead. We are now booked in to Incleboro Fields, West Runton, for a couple of days and meeting up with some old friends we haven't seen for a while. There is talk of going to 'Rocky Bottoms'!! Love steam trains and looks as if we can get in to Sheringham from near the campsite. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back