Sue wants a puppy to take the place of Lily. Am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Thank you for all your lovely comments about our loss of lovely Lily. It really shows what a lovely bunch of Funsters you are. Now! Sue is trying to persuade me to buy a Lab/springer puppy. We love the mixture and want a smaller dog to play with Poppy our 7 year old retriever. Sue has MS so I will end up looking after all three of them, but we have always had two dogs. We often see two or more dogs in vans, I think I am trying to talk myself into it. However I'm nearly 62 and a dog is for life in our opinion. What should I do?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I get caught out with that everytime...
We are down to two at the moment...one is 3 years old, the other is 13 years old so not very long in the big scheme of things before I have to go through it all again.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
You may find that Poppy starts to suffer from separation anxiety if she was very close to Lily. Also, Poppy is a mature lady now and may not take kindly to having a puppy bouncing around her. It's a difficult decision. Perhaps you could adopt a small rescue dog around 5 years old. Take a look at this site.
http://www.manytearsrescue.org/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Firstly, so sorry to read about Lily. The loss of a dog has got to be one of the worst things we go through, and it never gets any easier.

Should you get another dog? Probably but only you know if the workload of looking after everyone is OK for you.

Should you get a puppy? In my never-very-humble-opinion, absolutely not. Puppies.Are.Bloomin.Hard.Work. For a very long time . . . Particulary anything with spaniel in the DNA and doubly so if itā€™s Springer DNA. There are so many gorgeous creatures waiting in rescue centres, often through no fault of their own, and you and Sue could give an older dog such a wonderful second chance. Iā€™ve yet to meet a dog who doesnā€™t love going away in the ā€œkennel on wheelsā€. Even our old rescued girl who generally hates being in the car jumps in the motorhome at all and any opportunity.

Depending upon how old a dog you might consider, have you ever looked at www.oldies.org.uk. We really cannot manage a second dog at present but on the odd occasions I am stupid enough to look at the site it breaks my heart to see some of the older dogs who have been waiting months for a new family.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Iā€™ll chuck in another thought - am sure you have already considered this.

You say you are 62. A well-looked after four-legs is going to live 13 years maybe longer. That makes you 75 (sorry!) Iā€™m not for one moment suggesting that people in their seventies should not have dogs, but . . . . . .

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Disagree about age being a factor. At 60, I persuaded my better half to get a Cairn terrier puppy. We had always had dogs, our previous two both lived to 17. We had always taken a dog from a rescue centre. I really wanted a dog that I could train, love water, chase balls etc. Charlie is now ten, full off bounce, unlike us, but we always make sure we get out, give her the fun she deserves. She helps us keep active. Go for it, if you feel that its right for you all.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Disagree about age being a factor. At 60, I persuaded my better half to get a Cairn terrier puppy. We had always had dogs, our previous two both lived to 17. We had always taken a dog from a rescue centre. I really wanted a dog that I could train, love water, chase balls etc. Charlie is now ten, full off bounce, unlike us, but we always make sure we get out, give her the fun she deserves. She helps us keep active. Go for it, if you feel that its right for you all.
I really agree that 62 is no age these days and having a dog is a fantastic was to ensure you get out in the fresh air every day. Only you can decide whether you would like a puppy though. At a good rescue centre they would match a dog to both you and Sue and Poppy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you feel you are ready to accept another dog into your lives I would rethink the type you get and suggest a smaller one is probably better suited to you, around 6 to 18 months in age so less demanding that a puppy but still young enough to be introduced to a MH lifestyle and a new home.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A rescue perhaps? A fitting tribute to Lily would be to give an abandoned dog a happy life. Each time we've lost a dog that is what we've done - all have been rescues.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
You may find a young puppy hard work due to the circumstances. They need lots of attention during their early years. Iā€™m in agreement with our Tony above regarding giving a home to a rescue dog who will become your best friend for life. Time is a good healer following the sad loss of Lily.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We're mid/late sixties and have a 5 month old cocker spaniel. Wow I had forgotten quite what hard work puppies are but also a lot of fun.

We previously had a very bad experience with a rescue and couldn't consider going through that again, although we've had rescues in the past who have been a delight to own.

I don't think your age is a problem as whatever dog you get will get older and slow down with you. In the meantime he/she will keep you fit. Poppy is a retriever (love them) and therefore must be very good natured and will almost certainly tolerate a puppy, if that's what you decide. It will probably give her a new lease of life.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that another dog will ease the pain of losing Lily by distracting you from painful thoughts. Only you can decide on the breed and whether you can take on a puppy.

Good luck whatever you decide.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have one you can have.......
Adores chewing hearing aids and spectacles.
Attach's to clothing via destructive face opening and won't let go until she's ready to.
self feeds on used greasy kitchen roll (YOU try taking it off her)

Can deliver globally, free of charge.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Do any Funsters have experience of a Cockador puppy? {A cross between a lab or retriever and a cocker spaniel}. Sue is looking hard for a new puppy.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Iā€™d say get another dog but I do remember that the last puppy we had was a lot,no I mean A LOT of work. Next time itā€™s a rescue for us.............well hopefully not for us hopefully! It is always a risk but there are so many dogs needing homes.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Our dog a staffs is 10 years old we won't replaced him.
We saved him from the canal he was a bag dog
He was such a quite littal thing when he was a puppy he nearly did not live in to adulthood many time's.
Chewing every thing but we got him out of it
Hope you find the perfect dog for your beads but us once bobo go's
Their will be no More
Bill

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Good luck with your decision .. but remember BEFORE you make a decision, that YOU need to take care of yourself too. . As well as the family and pets.

Why not try just having one dog for a little while ... they deal with death differently to humans ... and see if you find the extra time or less pressure on you actually is a chance for you to breathe easy. Then your decision will be the right one.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
No experience of cockador but our 6-month old is a cocker spaniel. Despite lots of research beforehand it somehow escaped my notice how busy/mad the breed is. People say to us 'how could you not have known, everyone knows how full of energy cockers are'. Well I consider myself a doggy person but hadn't realised quite how full on she'd be.

I'm sure the labrador gene will help. I often wish I'd been patient and waited for a golden retriever to be available although we love Roly.

Very interested to know what you decide.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Only you can decide if it's right to get a new puppy in your 'latter years', but it seems you are going into it with your eyes open which is good.

We lost our Springer 16 months ago aged nearly 15, we'd had him from a pup. We thought long and hard, I'm coming up to 65 and my wife is 61 and it wasn't easy but we pick this little one up next Friday.

He'll certainly give us a purpose that seems lacking since we lost our other dog, plus we're both looking forward to helping him to be the best companion he can be.

I hope you happy with whatever you decide.

Monty 1 (1).jpg
Monty 2 (1).jpg

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Only you can decide if it's right to get a new puppy in your 'latter years', but it seems you are going into it with your eyes open which is good.

We lost our Springer 16 months ago aged nearly 15, we'd had him from a pup. We thought long and hard, I'm coming up to 65 and my wife is 61 and it wasn't easy but we pick this little one up next Friday.

He'll certainly give us a purpose that seems lacking since we lost our other dog, plus we're both looking forward to helping him to be the best companion he can be.

I hope you happy with whatever you decide.

View attachment 235197 View attachment 235198
Thanks for the post. We have always had retrievers and fancy a smaller dog like a springer. We are always being warned that they are scatty and need huge amounts of exercise. Any thoughts please.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes HUGE HUGE amounts!
Great pullers too,so good luck with that bit of the training!

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks for the post. We have always had retrievers and fancy a smaller dog like a springer. We are always being warned that they are scatty and need huge amounts of exercise. Any thoughts please.

Yes Springers have a reputation of being scatty, mental, mad as a box of frogs etc, I think that's a bit unfair. I would say though that they never really grow up, and retain some puppyish behaviour, some people don't like this but I find it endearing as they are always entertaining and fun,

Working bred Springers are busy, busy, busy dogs that have a very strong prey instinct, as an owner you need to be the one they really want to be with or they will go 'self employed' and you'll be waiting for their return as they entertain themselves.

They need lots of time invested in training, and a good strong recall. I'd say they need the right excise rather than huge amounts, so 'working' walks doing what they were bred to do, hunt a find things. They will soon get fed up walking in a straight line. They can be switched off at home where they make lovely family pets.

Show bred springers are a bit different, some of the hunting instincts have been bred out with more emphasis put on winning beauty contests. They aren't as racy and are less busy so tend to stay close to the owner on walks and not disappear into the next county following a scent.

Springers are great but the bottom line is that you need to be patient and be prepared to invest time and effort in training.

An old saying: 'Labs come into this word half trained, Springers go out of this world half trained.' So maybe a Lab with retriever rather then hunting instincts may be a more appropriate choice, or perhaps Springador or is that a Labradinger Retriever.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Yes Springers have a reputation of being scatty, mental, mad as a box of frogs etc, I think that's a bit unfair. I would say though that they never really grow up, and retain some puppyish behaviour, some people don't like this but I find it endearing as they are always entertaining and fun,

Working bred Springers are busy, busy, busy dogs that have a very strong prey instinct, as an owner you need to be the one they really want to be with or they will go 'self employed' and you'll be waiting for their return as they entertain themselves.

They need lots of time invested in training, and a good strong recall. I'd say they need the right excise rather than huge amounts, so 'working' walks doing what they were bred to do, hunt a find things. They will soon get fed up walking in a straight line. They can be switched off at home where they make lovely family pets.

Show bred springers are a bit different, some of the hunting instincts have been bred out with more emphasis put on winning beauty contests. They aren't as racy and are less busy so tend to stay close to the owner on walks and not disappear into the next county following a scent.

Springers are great but the bottom line is that you need to be patient and be prepared to invest time and effort in training.

An old saying: 'Labs come into this word half trained, Springers go out of this world half trained.' So maybe a Lab with retriever rather then hunting instincts may be a more appropriate choice, or perhaps Springador or is that a Labradinger Retriever.
Many thanks Infinity31, very helpful comments.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Do any Funsters have experience of a Cockador puppy? {A cross between a lab or retriever and a cocker spaniel}. Sue is looking hard for a new puppy.
Yes we know someone local to us with a cocker/lab cross.
She is lovely and a nice size but she is fast and quite scatty...(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Working bred Springers are busy, busy, busy dogs

Just like Irish Setters then ...... but easily trained, you just have to make sure that you want to do what the dog wants to do, problems solved.

We thought long and hard about getting another dog but have decided against ..... not just because of the work involved and how tying they can be but the thought of vets bills and insurance costs is just too much on a fixed and limited income.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd think long and hard about getting another larger dog, especially a cocker cross, they are very energetic! A smaller dog may prove more beneficial to Sue as it can sit on her knee so easier for her to fuss over when she feels like it or if you would find it difficult to control 2 larger dogs and a wheelchair, and of course a small dog when it's cold outside makes a great hairy hot water bottle! :D

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Have had a Springer and a black lab.
Springer always ready to go for a walk or rather run even when she had just come back from one. She was also a terrible thief, any food on a work surface she would jump up and steal.

Lab much easier to train, content to be walked and then home to lie down. She did like to sit on my feet or lean against my leg.

The springer was like a toddler, have to watch them all the time. Take your eyes off them and theyā€™re up to mischief, no good when you have other things to do

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What about a Cavalier King Charles spaniel or even a Staffie - wonderful happy dogs who just love people!

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
What about a Cavalier King Charles spaniel or even a Staffie - wonderful happy dogs who just love people!
We had a horrible ordeal when Poppy our retriever was attacked by a staffie a few years ago and I'm not keen on Cavalier spaniels, but thanks for the recommendations. We have had 6 dogs mainly retriever/ labs and will probably try retriever rescue or stick with the Cockador. Sue is a well known sight around town with a dog on each arm of her scooter. I call her Boudica.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
We lost our much loved cocker spaniel just over 2 years ago, I didnā€™t want another having lost 2 dogs in 2 years, both from old age. My wife couldnā€™t cope without a dog so after a couple of months our daughter mentioned that some people in her village had ex breeding working cocker spaniels from a breeder near Boston. They are used to mate with small poodles to produce cockerpoos and are retired at 5 years old.

Must admit I wasnā€™t keen but was outvoted. It was a little difficult to start with as Coco had never lived in a house before so we had to go through toilet training etc. However, she has turned out to be a very good dog. Quiet, obedient and an excellent guard, another plus is that she loves the motorhome, jumps in at every opportunity, lies down to sleep as soon as the engine fires up and only wakes when we stop to explore the new smells.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My thoughts are that your age is irrelevant.
I truly believe that a dog will enhance your lives & quite possibly promote a long life by keeping you fit & moving, giving you a sense of wellbeing, and motivation having to care for your pet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back