Suddenly got no gas (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
This is our first night in our new to us van. We bought and had fitted a new propane gas bottle. Cooked dinner using the oven and hob with no problem but suddenly have no gas. Gas is switched on inside and at bottle. One minute gas working and next it wasn't. Any ideas what to do? Luckily it's not meant to be cold as we now have no heating as it doesn't work on electric!

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Note that the valve (tap) on top of the cylinder goes the opposite to what you might expect.

Dave

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Note that the valve (tap) on top of the cylinder goes the opposite to what you might expect.

Dave
I'm getting confused ... The valve will be conventional it's the cylinder connections that will be left Hand threaded..
Or am I missing something...
Ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Needle show full. Don't know how to attach pic as doing this on phone and when I press the little camera nothing.
You click the upload file button, next to the post reply button. Then browse to the picture, it will then ask you "full size" or "Thumbnail" either will do.

Whereabouts are you, if you're not a million miles away I may be able to put my head in!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Thanks for all the advice and support. The gas cylinder is full it turns out and it seems likely to be the regulator although I am not sure why as at the hand over at the dealers they said they had replaced things to do with the gas as they were out of date - not sure if that includes the regulator or not.
When we spoke to the warden on the campsite in the morning there was a chap there who turns out to be a motorhome/caravan mobile repairs and servicing engineer and he said it sounded like the regulator as no gas working at all and boiler fault light on too. Unfortunately he couldn't look at it today as he was off to another job so we will arrange a suitable time to come back to the storage place and he will take a look at it. He also said it would be possible to upgrade the heating to work from electric as well as gas - not sure of cost or anything. We will also contact the dealer tomorrow to let them know. It would be much quicker to get it dealt with at the storage site than drive all the way to the dealers.
I think we will buy a spare regulator, a small electric heater and another gas cylinder - all a learning curve! It is so good to know that you can get such quick responses from folks on this forum - a great comfort as otherwise I am sure we would have convinced ourselves we had bought a dud but it sounds like this is a common fault.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our van had only heating and hot water by gas when we bought it, but we had the electric upgrade done and it was well worth it. I could check what we paid but as it is 3 years ago, not much use to you now. Should b easy to find quotes though.

Upvote 0

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Two things Lizi, We had regulator problems in our first caravan outing, the dealer reimbursed us without question as will your dealer. Tell them you want it sorted at the yard, they might not agree so tell them you will have to bill them for fuel and want it paid when you get there. Get the quote from the other guy first though. The other note is about getting another gas cylinder, with everything else we all like to carry do you need the extra weight, not if you do get the electric heating option.

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Just as a last resort try opening and closing the hob glass lid a few times as some have a safety cut out switch that will stop the stove working although it should not be effecting the heating

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
most motorhomes have electric heating and water heating so all may not be lost
Sorry David, but more than you might think are gas only, and if we are talking of European built MHs, that amounts to several thousands :eek: due to their build quality and longevity. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It seems you were just incredibly unlucky.
Gas regulators do pack up but you from time to time but you probably wont need another for 10 ten years - if then.
A spare bottle would be good move and if you are thinking of foreign jaunts then buying a French one would be good move when you get over there.
We do carry an electric heater for when we are occasionally on a plug in, but we have hardly ever used it.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not worth upgrading the Truma to electric will probably cost around at least £500 also far cheaper to run the heating on gas than pay for EHU.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
We have got someone looking at the gas on Friday at the storage and dealer paying. The dealer said they had replaced the regulator so they are puzzled. Has anyone had a new regulator go on them? Worrying now that it is something else and no doubt something costly. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have got someone looking at the gas on Friday at the storage and dealer paying. The dealer said they had replaced the regulator so they are puzzled. Has anyone had a new regulator go on them? Worrying now that it is something else and no doubt something costly. Fingers crossed.
All I can say is, the rental place we bought ours from got so cheesed off with replacing regulators that they no longer use Truma ones!

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I was once told by a caravan dealer that the ones mounted vertically on the bulk head are far more prone to failure then the ones mounted horizontally on the bottle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Just to update you - we had the gas looked at and by then there was nothing wrong with it. The engineer chap had a good look at everything and concluded that it could possibly have been an airlock. We took the van out for the day today and the heating was very good compared to what it had been last week even when the gas was on last week and the gas cooker worked no trouble at all. We can't take it out till next weekend so will do that and see how we go. Puzzling really unless it was an airlock as one minute we were cooking with gas (quite literally) with hot water working from the gas. The next minute I ran the tap to do the washing up and it would not work and nor would the stove or heating. The next day it was exactly the same. So fingers crossed it keeps working! The engineer said if it happens again he will change the regulator for us but could see no reason to do that today. But thanks to everyone for their help.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi
Just curious
when you say you ran the tap and it didn't work-was there no water at all coming from the tap or just cold water.?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back