Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
I was thinking of making a simple awning/ sun shade for the side of the motorhome. I did not fancy gluing or screwing any thing on. Has anyone had experience of suction cups? Would they delaminate the side of the van? The photo is the type of thing but in my case fitted to a coachbuilt.
Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 23.01.41.png

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've yet to have one of those actually stay suckered on if that's a word. They always fall off.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
parrotsol do a whole range of suction cups. many people use them for awnings without issues

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We were thinking exactly the same last year so we bought some of . We used to use 3 of them to fasten up a Decathlon tarp......they were ok. Seemed that some worked better than others though - there was always one that wouldn't stay stuck to the side of the van. They also worked better in warm weather - in cold weather when the rubber is less flexible we had problems getting them to stick. Having said that, when we did get them properly stuck on they didn't budge - solid as a rock even in very windy conditions.

We've now replaced them with a length of awning rail stuck to the side of the van - overall its much quicker and easier to set up, plus there's no gap between the tarp and side of the van now which is nice when its raining (y)

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We have some we bought off EBay they are clear plastic about 40mm ish .They sell in packs of 10 and just over a tenner a pack .they are in two parts ,we have had 3packs and are pleased with them .Being using these whilst away and had no problems . I 'm not sure but got the feeling it maybe a funsters selling them lol.worth a punt. The ones we got was the second ones on the list below lol

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
parrotsol do a whole range of suction cups. many people use them for awnings without issues
If you attend shows you can see the full range we carry, All our clear suction cups are American, the Chinese ones do tend to fall off. we have had them stuck on places for months without them falling off.

Heres a couple of our popular ones

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
These Kampa limpets are brilliant we use this on awning sides really good

Attachments

• IMG_5939.PNG
    IMG_5939.PNG
    242.5 KB · Views: 75

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
These Kampa limpets are brilliant we use this on awning sides really good
I just sent a pack of Limpets back they would not stick on the clean side of the van, when they did stick they fell off within 20 mins, the only thing I could get them to stick to were the windows in the conservatory! not much use as far as I am concerned.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Suction cups are
only as good as the surface they are on. Microscopic scratching will let the air under over time and they won't stay stuck.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
I just sent a pack of Limpets back they would not stick on the clean side of the van, when they did stick they fell off within 20 mins, the only thing I could get them to stick to were the windows in the conservatory! not much use as far as I am concerned.
WOW!!!
Not our experience at all.
Next time we have awning up I will take photos to show how good they are

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Same as the ones I sell but I sell them cheaper
I have 6 of the orange ones from Parrotsol which I use to fix my window thermal covers with bungee cords as i have no fixing points, they are excellent.

I also have some 50% shade betting which I use to shade the fridge when I don't want to leave the awning out. Sometimes I fix this to the side of the MH with the Parrotsol suckers, other times I use the hooks that slide into the awning, the smaller of the two sizes that Jezsport sells.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have 6 of the orange ones from Parrotsol which I use to fix my window thermal covers with bungee cords as i have no fixing points, they are excellent.

I also have some 50% shade betting which I use to shade the fridge when I don't want to leave the awning out. Sometimes I fix this to the side of the MH with the Parrotsol suckers, other times I use the hooks that slide into the awning, the smaller of the two sizes that Jezsport sells.

How do you shade the fridge? Do you have photos? It sounds like a good idea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back