Sucking the oil out, Pela 6000 (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Changed the oil and filter today on our Ducato based Hymer.

Took me 20 minutes......

I was never convinced by sucking the oil out, however after reading up on it I decided to try it and got a Pela 6000.

It makes it a doddle! No oil everywhere, no jacking up and dropping the plug into the oil, no cross threading the sump plug. Just change the filter while it sucks all the oil out.

I have used it on cars the past 12 months and was thoroughly converted. It works just as well on the motorhome and I can confirm, it got all the oil out!

You then just leave the oil in the extractor and tip it straight into the waste oil barrel at the tip.

I was sceptical but am now thoroughly converted!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have one as on my old smart car the only way to get the oil out was to suck it out of the dipstick hole. have used it when oil has been over filled. but i have not used it to change the oil on the Ducato "YET"!

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It almost makes it pleasurable if that makes sense. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Tried it with a car and took off the sump plug, only a dribble of clean oil came out.

The oil pickup is above the bottom of the sump which then takes it through a filter anyway. If there was any crap in there, which I doubt, it won’t get picked up by the pump anyway and if it did, that’s what the filter is for.

I was as sceptical as everyone else, but it works.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Not doubting the idea or process, but how do you know you got all the oil out ?

Just another thought as well, I read on forums about the oil requirements of a Ducato at oil change. It was bang on, 5 litres came out and 5 went in. Bizarre as they are supposed to be 5.9 litres but even with a conventional change people were only getting 5 litres out.

I suppose you could do a conventional change if you are worried every other one.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
On Our 2009 3l Ducato I can not get the smaller tube all the way down the dip stick tube with my
Sealey oil sucker
Use it on the work van and car

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
On Our 2009 3l Ducato I can not get the smaller tube all the way down the dip stick tube with my
Sealey oil sucker
2011 3l, I have the same problem.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Great bit of kit, I use it on a marine engine, which you couldn’t otherwise drain, never tried it in the Ducato tho, surely easier to use conventional method?

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
There is no mess with the sucking out method. I don’t doubt if you have a ramp and a proper drain then it’s much of a much.

You still have to get the oil filter off which spills a bit I suppose but it is only a bit.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
There is no mess with the sucking out method. I don’t doubt if you have a ramp and a proper drain then it’s much of a much.

You still have to get the oil filter off which spills a bit I suppose but it is only a bit.
Yes, personal preference I suppose. One thing I do recall with the Pela is it doesn’t work so well with neglected engines where sludge has built up, tending to get blocked and needing to be cleared with an air line.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I still prefer the old method, drain plug out over night. Then in the morning, pour some fresh to push the last bit of sludge out, before I do the nut up. If your sump nut is magnetic, you’ll be amazed by how much of fine particles can collect there. I soak the filter as well before fitting it. I use the syringe on gearboxes

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Sealey oil sucker

Same here on my 3 litre Ducato. The dipstick tube seems to have quite a sharpish bend before it enters the sump. Couldn't get the plastic oil sucker pipe passed the bend. Wanted to suck some oil out....overfilled by the garage !!!

I have used the oil pump to fill with new oil via the rocker cover. Especially difficult, using normal methods, on an A-class with letterbox access.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would agree they probably wouldn’t work with sludged up engines. Then again I wouldn’t ever let one of mine get to that stage.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
I would agree they probably wouldn’t work with sludged up engines. Then again I wouldn’t ever let one of mine get to that stage.

If you persevere you can make it work, but it’s frustrating having to keep stopping and blowing the pipe through.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
When I first got my oil sucker pump, I stupidly pushed the flexible hose down the dipstick too far and it got stuck on something.
I pulled the PVC pipe and the end snapped off. Spoke to two mechanics, one said, leave it in there as it will be under the baffle and the oil pump has a strainer and the other said it might break up and clog oil ways.
I managed to get it out by removing the drain plug and using an endoscope camera for my phone and an old wire coat hanger (had to go to Timpson's to get one!) and managed to pull it out!
Quickly went to B&Q and brought some very small bore (5mm) brass pipe and cut it slightly longer than the dip stick.

Climbing under the Rusty Mazda MX5 trying to get that out knowing that if I failed it would be "engine out job" is not something I want to experience again, even though I sold the Mazda last weekend.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I bought a cheap Lidl version.
Tried it on my Hyundai i40 which takes 5.3ltrs Inc filter.
Came to refill and JUST got 5ltrs in.
Obviously engine design but it would not get that .3ltr out whereas removing the sump bung would have.
If I'd realised before hand I wouldn't have bought 6ltrs.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Just another thought as well, I read on forums about the oil requirements of a Ducato at oil change. It was bang on, 5 litres came out and 5 went in. Bizarre as they are supposed to be 5.9 litres but even with a conventional change people were only getting 5 litres out.

I suppose you could do a conventional change if you are worried every other one.
Are you including the oil in the filter as well as what drains out the sump?

5.9 litres is total oil capacity including the filter for a bare engine. 5.4 litres is recommended for in service oil changes, including the filter.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Are you including the oil in the filter as well as what drains out the sump?

5.9 litres is total oil capacity including the filter for a bare engine. 5.4 litres is recommended for in service oil changes, including the filter.

I did indeed include the oil from the filter.

I was wondering if I didn’t suck everything out, I had to paint the sump recently so did a conventional oil change while it was up in the air.

5 litres out and 5 litres in.

The extra litre I got is sitting unopened in the garage. 🤷‍♂️

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Meany years ago when I was stationed in Germany some of the filling stations had an oil change point. That was a pipe you put down the dipstick tube to suck the oil out. I don’t think it cost a lot because the thinking being you would buy you’re oil from the same place.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I did indeed include the oil from the filter.

I was wondering if I didn’t suck everything out, I had to paint the sump recently so did a conventional oil change while it was up in the air.

5 litres out and 5 litres in.

The extra litre I got is sitting unopened in the garage. 🤷‍♂️

I've never measured what comes out of mine, drained via the sump plug. But our local Fiat Pro dealers put in 5.4 litres and so do I as I do my own oil changes. That puts the level about 5 mm below maximum on the dipstick, which is where I like it to be (2.3 multijet).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back