Sub water pump - how do they work? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, we recently ran out of water on a site and drove around the site and refilled the tank, not a real problem but I wondered if it is worth having an outside water container with a sub pump eg caravan style. Our Bessie seems to have a electric 2 prong 'socket' outside next to the water filler. If I filled a container with water, does the pump come with a connection to plug in, and if so, how do I switch it on so water pumps into the tank? Also, do I have to remove the water filler cap and just put a hose from the pump into the tank which means this hose would just be loose.

Hope this makes sense,

Other alternative is a water container and a funnel, newbie or what, lol.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We also have the 2 pin socket by the water filler as many do. On ours, you need to either purchase the ready made superfil pump and plug or source the plug and make one up. genuine pumps and hoses are silly expensive from memory at over £40. a standard caravan one can be sourced for around £10 plus the plug and hose

either way drop the submersible pump into the aquaroll etc push the hose into the neck of the filler and plug in the power. ours has a 3 way switch on the inside control panel for water. taps/off/pump, pump being the setting to use to fill the onboard tank from a water container like an aquaroll. To be honest we rarely use the pump and just top up the tank using a hose as we do drive off site regularly.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A lot of pumps start to run as soon as they are plugged in Its only the rich people that have 3 way switchesd:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
while I have a hose I use a pump most of the time

While I carry a flat hose in my RV I do have a 5 gallon plastic container (when full you will need some sort of wheels as that is heavy ... I transport mine on my scooter (disabled type)).. Make sure the submersible pump goes through the next of the container ..not all will. it is a case of I push the cigarette plug in to a connection point in my outside entertainment locker and it pomps the water from the container in to the on board tank.. that way I do not have to move the RV to fill up once I have set up at shows... I know of a few others that do the same and have contains that have wheels built in to them rather than using a trolly. We also carry a new spare pump with s in case it should give out.. think I paid about £15 including the hose.

Got my first pump from JC motorhomes.:thumb:
Bob

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Also a newbie so am sure someone will come along with the right answer, it was suggested to me that a water container would be useful for fetching water when a hose will not be practical.

Looked into water pumps you drop into the container and as we have a outside 12v socket (cigarette lighter type) for the TV decided I could use that if lead was long enough.

Then saw a outside shower which looked like it would do the job of a water pump as well, so bought one for about £25, take off shower head and poke end of pipe into water tank, works fine except the pump was fractionally to large to fit into water 25Ltr water container I had allready bought, so had to tip the water into a bucket.

May never actually use it as a shower, but if we need to we can, seems better to have it able to do two things rather than just one.

Only used it once so far, but a lot easier than trying to lift and pour from a 25Ltr container..

Steve

The shower has on/off switch.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't have an outside socket but just pass the wire through the kitchen window and plug in there.Water filler is directly below. Submersible water pump was about a fiver from an accessory shop and I have wired in a bullet type switch (99p), the necessary bit of hose was just a bit I had lying about. I actually use mine with a 40L aquaroll, but thats just cos I have one. There are much cheaper water containers about, though an aquaroll is dead easy to trundle, especially on soft ground when smaller wheels can dig in. Also being 40L it is less trips to fill up :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back