Stuttgart? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We've just done our first trip abroad and I found to my relief that I can actually drive a droite, so next is das Deutschland ... my wife has the idea of going to Stuttgart, just looking at wikipedia it's not immediately obvious why we'd want to visit, but do you know better?

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
I have lived in Germany for 40 years now, the last 22 years on Lake Constance.

There are so many fantastic places to visit in Germany, but Stuttgart is not on any of my lists.
Go there only if you like large, sprawling, modern cities (which I detest) with lots of traffic.

We are currently on the way home after 2 weeks along the Moselle valley, from Trier towards Koblenz.
Read other threads here to see what others think of it.
Aother great route is the Romantic Street, or even through the Black Forest and around Lake Constance where I live.

Germany is a great country for MH'ing with relatively cheap Stellplätze all over.

It's only my humble opinion, but if you really want to see Stuttgart, why not jump on a cheap Ryanair or Easyjet :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Stuttgart is not exactly a tourist destination, not really a big city, more a collection of towns that has grown together. The main attraction is the Mercedes Museum, in an area called Cannstatt that also has a shopping centre, stadium, camp site (OK but not great) and a vast concreted space for a funfair in the spring and autumn that has to be seen to be believed.

Apart from the Mercedes Museum, there's the Porsche Museum. There are natural hot springs, which are now top-class spa/swimming complexes, for example the Leutze. There's a big zoo, one of the first to keep animals in spaces without bars all over the place.

There's some great Baroque architecture, and in contrast an estate of houses built by individual architects as a competition, including the famous Le Corbusier. Some of the outlying towns are worth visiting, including Ludwigsburg. There's a good Christmas market in the centre, and in Ludwigsburg.

Coming from the UK, it's not far from the Rhine valley and the Black Forest. What surprised me was the Celtic connection. There's an annual Celtic festival, and a Celtic hill fort in the hills at Nagold.

Public transport is excellent, with hybrid buses, local trams (U-bahn) and express trams to the outlying towns and suburbs (S-bahn)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back