Stupid things you’ve done to your van (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Bugger... you know where I live :D

The irony of my post is lost it seems, years ago I detailed how I ripped the EHU point off a wall.

Next time it was less costly, the plug came out.

Last time wasn't because the Swift has a loud buzzer if the engine is started when hooked up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Many years ago with our first 'proper' MH, hubby had parked it at the side of the road and in front of it was a tree branch which I said to be careful of when we came back ... you guessed ... he drove forward into it! :rolleyes:

I have pranged a previous MH ... twice! But it wasn't my fault 'occifer' ... truly it wasn't! The first time was when hubby had 2nd degree sunburn (long story, won't bore you), so couldn't drive so I had to instead which was 'fun' as it was a Rimor over 24ft which I'd never driven before ... I managed perfectly, despite also having quite severe sunburn, and got us onto aires etc without incident but in the morning being in the driver's seat I couldn't see a lot on the passenger side so hubby was watching via the mirror as I slowly reversed out ... and hit a bl**dy high kerb at the side of a driveway with the corner of the rear bumper ... he 'missed spotting it'!!! :mad: The second time was on the same holiday when again he was looking out from the passenger seat and missed the flipping tree right behind us on his side :eek: ... the bike rack outer track got a little bit bent ... fortunately at work they had machinery to straighten it for me! Needless to say after that I didn't bother asking him for any 'help'! o_O

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Many years ago with our first 'proper' MH, hubby had parked it at the side of the road and in front of it was a tree branch which I said to be careful of when we came back ... you guessed ... he drove forward into it! :rolleyes:

so hubby was watching via the mirror as I slowly reversed out ... and hit a bl**dy high kerb at the side of a driveway with the corner of the rear bumper ... he 'missed spotting it'!!! :mad: The second time was on the same holiday when again he was looking out from the passenger seat and missed the flipping tree right behind us on his side :eek:

Yours is clearly the FUN Ultimate True Love Story. The man is obviously a liability yet you stick with him through thick and thicker. A big "Ahhhhhhhhhhh" for Minxy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yours is clearly the FUN Ultimate True Love Story. The man is obviously a liability yet you stick with him through thick and thicker. A big "Ahhhhhhhhhhh" for Minxy.
Love isn't the first four-letter word that comes to mind when things like the above happen ... (it begins with a 't' by the way, not 'f'! :X3:) ... but if I didn't keep him I'd probably starve as he does the cooking and his roast dinners are to die for ... :D ... and he does most of the cleaning too ... (y).

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Everybody! Just walk round the van before you set off. It's the only thing you need to remember :rolleyes:
For EHU and ramming things anyway (y)

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Everybody! Just walk round the van before you set off. It's the only thing you need to remember :rolleyes:
For EHU and ramming things anyway (y)
What about open drawers, open roof lights, toilet door shut, clean reversing camera lens etc. Her indoors typed a little list on a card that sits on the dash. A bit OTT but have learnt from experience how much things cost to replace. :D

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Stupidest thing I've done so far is trying to make this left hand turn because the satnav told me to:
Google Street View

I was busy swinging on to the wrong side of the road to try to make the turning circle wider... and annoying the traffic coming the other way and down the hill. Meanwhile my wife was telling me to 'watch the rock on the inside'... but I was otherwise occupied with not hitting the cars. I ended up riding up over the inside curb on the sill just in front of the rear left wheel. Minor bodywork damage coming to about £500.

Most painful bit is my wife citing this as an example to anyone and everyone about how I never listen. :cautious:

Campervanannie

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido le Randoneur 763F
Exp
I have 375w solar panels and 3x 120 gel batteries but in the winter I went on a site on hook up to give them a boost completely flattened them as I did not notice that the bollard needed switching on what a waste of an overnight £15 stopover.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Stupidest thing I've done so far is trying to make this left hand turn because the satnav told me to:
Google Street View

I was busy swinging on to the wrong side of the road to try to make the turning circle wider... and annoying the traffic coming the other way and down the hill. Meanwhile my wife was telling me to 'watch the rock on the inside'... but I was otherwise occupied with not hitting the cars. I ended up riding up over the inside curb on the sill just in front of the rear left wheel. Minor bodywork damage coming to about £500.

Most painful bit is my wife citing this as an example to anyone and everyone about how I never listen. :cautious:
That’s some turn! :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Too many cock ups to remember !
But the only times I have hit something ( both times a tree at La Toretta ! ) I was being seen on to a pitch by two people.
Pitches are tight and you cannot see the top of the van in the mirrors

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
On returning from a European trip, reversed the van onto the driveway.....bang, hit the house garage door with the bike rack. I had forgotten about the extra metre of bike rack.

Needed new rack and a bit of work on the rear MH wall to hide the dent :(

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We piled up spare towels on a lower wardrobe shelf and one off those flimsy plastic shelf supports broke with the weight, I guess with the movement of the van.

I got 4 new ones on eBay and fitted them . . shelf as good as new. I called the wife to look at my handiwork and she knelt down to inspect the shelf and looked up pleased. She then leaned on the shelf to her help get back up . . 2 more broke. :D

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
On my first ever trip in my van two weeks ago, we'd say outside enjoying the warm evening till very late. We then went in and had to make up the beds for the first time which seemed to take forever (may have had something to do with the bubbly we'd consumed to celebrate) We then lay in bed talking for ages and I was dropping off to sleep Mrs Wee Bold Davy asked me if I had locked the doors. I said that I hadn't and she suggested that it may be a good idea.
So after groping around trying to find the keys I locked the doors using the fob. I then put the keys onto the cabinet and they fell off. Around 4 minutes later all hell let loose when the alarm went off. Could I find the keys? No!:oops:
After much searching which seemed to take forever I found the keys and managed to stop the alarm. Silence? No not quite. Dogs, lots of them were barking, children were crying in the nearby tents. Then the alarm went off again, and again, and again!! The time 2.10am.:eek:
I think if Donald Trump was there he would have been more popular. I've since learned how to properly arm the alarm while you're in the van:whistle:

fireblade2000uk

Free Member
Jul 16, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
First year almost done!
Removed the outer locking plate of my wheel clamp. Got distracted and then tried to drive away with the frame still attached! Fortunately the drive suffered more than the MH........2 blooming great ruts in the tarmac!

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
On my first ever trip in my van two weeks ago, we'd say outside enjoying the warm evening till very late. We then went in and had to make up the beds for the first time which seemed to take forever (may have had something to do with the bubbly we'd consumed to celebrate) We then lay in bed talking for ages and I was dropping off to sleep Mrs Wee Bold Davy asked me if I had locked the doors. I said that I hadn't and she suggested that it may be a good idea.
So after groping around trying to find the keys I locked the doors using the fob. I then put the keys onto the cabinet and they fell off. Around 4 minutes later all hell let loose when the alarm went off. Could I find the keys? No!:oops:
After much searching which seemed to take forever I found the keys and managed to stop the alarm. Silence? No not quite. Dogs, lots of them were barking, children were crying in the nearby tents. Then the alarm went off again, and again, and again!! The time 2.10am.:eek:
I think if Donald Trump was there he would have been more popular. I've since learned how to properly arm the alarm while you're in the van:whistle:
:D

You have to be a contortionist to make up our French bed. After a few beers it would be almost impossible!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Just parked up in billing aquadrome for the balloon festival a couple of years ago. When a very large yank van was reversing in along side me. When a large goose flew of the lake straight in to the back of the van.One very upset driver and a really badly damaged van. And the goose flew of.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
The day before the ferry from Brindisi to Igumenitsa in May this year we went off for a cycle ride on a beautiful calm morning.....about an hour later had a call from the camperstop owner...we'd left our awning out and the wind had got up whilst we were out (we were by the sea) we rushed back on the bikes to find the awning collapsed in a mangled heap and a hole in the top side of the van where one of the brackets had come away. Our campetstop owner phoned the local motorhome garage who came out to us and took the awning off then we followed them to their garage about 30 km away where they all downed tools on their other jobs and set too to fix our motorhome - a beautiful job... but we had to go off to Greece without an awning. On the way back, a month later, we stopped by for them to fit a new awning which they had ordered for us....but...it was half a metre too short (they had ordered the wrong size) After they fitted it since it didn't quite cover the door I refused to keep it (we didn't notice it was too short until it was fitted)....they ordered the correct size and sent us off with the short awning. It was into the mid 30s at this time and very sunny and there was no shade at the camperstop by the sea, so having that awning was pretty essential. We waited 3 days for the new awning....they took off the wrong one fitted the new one (no quibbling nothing more to pay) and we set off for home 3 days later than scheduled. What could have been a total disaster really turned out to be a challenging and in the end a rather pleasant experience. Whilst on the campsite waiting for our awning not only the owner but other campers kept us plied with fruit - mostly figs and cherries, fresh each day for the 3 days....and the extra days were really rather enjoyable. We now have a rather sswish new awning to enjoy and a lesson well learned.....NEVER...leave the awning out when not at the van...AND....ALWAYS secure the feet...(My poor hubby forgot to peg the feet down...can you imagine how bad he felt....I did remind him that it could have been so much worse...either one of us could have broken a bone or had a heart attack...and anyway I should have been more attentive and noticed that he hadn't pegged things down)...."All's well that ends well":D

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
you can buy a stainless steel door retainer as fitted to horseboxs,,,Bullet proof,,can't fail and they are only about £7..00. Even top of the range vans like Concord are fitted with those stupid useless plastic ones..BUSBY,,

Concordes have stainless steel retainers on the garage and gas filled struts on the hab door. They work far better than the plastic things :D

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The day before the ferry from Brindisi to Igumenitsa in May this year we went off for a cycle ride on a beautiful calm morning.....about an hour later had a call from the camperstop owner...we'd left our awning out and the wind had got up whilst we were out (we were by the sea) we rushed back on the bikes to find the awning collapsed in a mangled heap and a hole in the top side of the van where one of the brackets had come away. Our campetstop owner phoned the local motorhome garage who came out to us and took the awning off then we followed them to their garage about 30 km away where they all downed tools on their other jobs and set too to fix our motorhome - a beautiful job... but we had to go off to Greece without an awning. On the way back, a month later, we stopped by for them to fit a new awning which they had ordered for us....but...it was half a metre too short (they had ordered the wrong size) After they fitted it since it didn't quite cover the door I refused to keep it (we didn't notice it was too short until it was fitted)....they ordered the correct size and sent us off with the short awning. It was into the mid 30s at this time and very sunny and there was no shade at the camperstop by the sea, so having that awning was pretty essential. We waited 3 days for the new awning....they took off the wrong one fitted the new one (no quibbling nothing more to pay) and we set off for home 3 days later than scheduled. What could have been a total disaster really turned out to be a challenging and in the end a rather pleasant experience. Whilst on the campsite waiting for our awning not only the owner but other campers kept us plied with fruit - mostly figs and cherries, fresh each day for the 3 days....and the extra days were really rather enjoyable. We now have a rather sswish new awning to enjoy and a lesson well learned.....NEVER...leave the awning out when not at the van...AND....ALWAYS secure the feet...(My poor hubby forgot to peg the feet down...can you imagine how bad he felt....I did remind him that it could have been so much worse...either one of us could have broken a bone or had a heart attack...and anyway I should have been more attentive and noticed that he hadn't pegged things down)...."All's well that ends well":D
Uplifting story.

This thread demonstrates that looking after a van is actually quite difficult. Accidents are easily done, but there are often some genuinely helpful and kind people at hand.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Caught the handbrake in my shorts breaking the plastic surround. Replacement was sorted thanks to a link from a fellow funster.
Can you please provide me that link, as I did that exact same thing a couple of weeks ago :whistle:

Fortunately I'm heavy enough not to have been left hanging upside down :LOL:

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Can you please provide me that link, as I did that exact same thing a couple of weeks ago :whistle:

View attachment 244003
Really pleased this thread has been useful. Hope more people put on their stupid things. In reality of course they’re not stupid . . it’s all part of being human. :D

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I recently spent a week on Berneray (Outer Hebrides), wild camping. Lovely.
Coming home, parked up off road to make dinner, phoned wife to say when I'd be back, told her how much I'd saved on not paying site fees or EHU.
Setting off, horrible crunch, electric step destroyed by boulder. £500. Policy has £500 excess. :(

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012

View attachment 244003

This is the link fellow funster BwB gave to me. It's a Sevel based dealership in Swansea, fast delivery too.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Great thread and I'm glad other people do the same daft things as us. And no, I shan't tell you what I did!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
should have a warning about shorts and handbrakes, but no we get told not to drive with the blinds closed :rolleyes:

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Ok, someone I know quite well reversed off his drive before removing the the wheel clamp, which damaged the wheel arch and the only way to get it out was to drive forward again. He was not happy
was that the same person I know who had only just brought the new van a few weeks earlier....and is/was an engineer???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Great thread and I'm glad other people do the same daft things as us. And no, I shan't tell you what I did!
That's not fair ... if you don't spill the beans you're not allowed to read the thread! :D

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
So stop me then!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun