Stupid things you’ve done to your van (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Reading the thread about the guy who tore off a gas strut on his N&B. It struck me that not everyone using vans are engineering types and can make mistakes with the delicate fittings and lightweight parts. We can all benefit from hearing about them, however stupid.

In our first new van I opened the hab door and pushed it back against the catch. Even though it wasn’t that windy a gust slammed it shut onto the insect netting slider. Took me a while to free it and it was never perfect at opening and locking after that, even when the dealer technicians tried to adjust it under the warranty.

I never trusted those catches after that, they’re not fit for purpose unless conditions are almost still. Always use a bungee. When you’re a newbie you learn by experience :D

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have learnt not to tell people about such things because I know they will probably laugh and shake there heads at my stupidity while thanking their God they didn't confess their own errors. Makes me think of Harry Enfield, "Only me, oh you don't want to do it like that do you, no, this is what you want to do."

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
On our first winter trip to Spain I was waiting in line for the Portsmouth Santander ferry. Line started to move, engine started, hang on a minute I have left something in the back. Got up to get it then "bang" I hand not put the handbrake on and had rolled into the back box fitted to the motorhome in front. The owner was not best pleased, quite cross in fact. Maybe because he had just been charged extra for not not declaring the cycle rack holding the back box. Fortunately no damage done and I was happy to by him a pint when I "ran into him" in the bar.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have learnt not to tell people about such things because I know they will probably laugh and shake there heads at my stupidity while thanking their God they didn't confess their own errors. Makes me think of Harry Enfield, "Only me, oh you don't want to do it like that do you, no, this is what you want to do."
I thought like that as a young man but now I’m 60, I couldn’t give a sh*t. :D

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
On our first winter trip to Spain I was waiting in line for the Portsmouth Santander ferry. Line started to move, engine started, hang on a minute I have left something in the back. Got up to get it then "bang" I hand not put the handbrake on and had rolled into the back box fitted to the motorhome in front. The owner was not best pleased, quite cross in fact. Maybe because he had just been charged extra for not not declaring the cycle rack holding the back box. Fortunately no damage done and I was happy to by him a pint when I "ran into him" in the bar.
:D
I had something similar in France on black Saturday when they all start their holidays.

Got to a peage that was crammed with cars nose to tail, and like an idiot I decided to change lanes to go to lane that had fewer cars. I clipped the bumper of the car in front as I moved out. Fortunately it was so gentle there was no damage to mine or hers when we stopped to look. The French family were incredibly friendly actually, that’s why I voted Remain.:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The most massively stupid thing I did was to re-register my beautiful, Portuguese, self build Iveco in Blighty.

Then, when I wanted to make it Portuguese again, I discovered it would cost over €1000 and have to have a change of use and conversion inspection...

So now it is the garden shed with the best running gear and mechanics in Europe...

2.8 turbo diesel with intercooler, air assisted suspension, new clutch and bearings, replacement gearbox, new brakes and pads, cruise control, swivel front passenger seat, full Smev cooker, grill and oven, Malaga 3E water heater, solar panels, 6 new (at the time) tyres...

As James Hetfield would say...

"Sad but true..." :crying:

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The most massively stupid thing I did was to re-register my beautiful, Portuguese, self build Iveco in Blighty.

Then, when I wanted to make it Portuguese again, I discovered it would cost over €1000 and have to have a change of use and conversion inspection...

So now it is the garden shed with the best running gear and mechanics in Europe...

2.8 turbo diesel with intercooler, air assisted suspension, new clutch and bearings, replacement gearbox, new brakes and pads, cruise control, swivel front passenger seat, full Smev cooker, grill and oven, Malaga 3E water heater, solar panels, 6 new (at the time) tyres...

As James Hetfield would say...

"Sad but true..." :crying:

JJ :cool:
Biggest mistake there was admitting you’re a Metalicca fan :p

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I let the wife drive it.
I picked up the repaired quarter panel from my mate two weeks ago :whistle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think I have read that some plonkers on here have driven off with the hook up connected.

I know, unbelievable, so I may be wrong.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I took the motorhome into work one night as I was on a static position for 12 hours for 1 hours work. Tv toilet cups of tea made sense. Drove it home and straight into the bungalow taking out the eaves with my luton.
Just went straight to bed and let the mrs find it a bit later and tried claiming innocence.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I think I have read that some plonkers on here have driven off with the hook up connected.

Bet most people have done that. It’s easily done.

I have a small plonker prevention list of checks I do before driving off anywhere. :D

Reactions: Pia

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
@JJ did you consider sellin it on fleabay, TBH I did wonder where it went

Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
made the schoolboy error when swmbo started shouting that the rear of motorhome was going to catch wall steered away instead of towards wall forgetting the overhang effect. very minor graze on rear plastic.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Well I'd love to contribute to this thread but I can't think of anything I've messed up :cool: maybe on occasion I left my teabag in too long and ruined a tea.. Urgh don't you just hate stewed tea :oops:

So what I will advise is, all try and be almost perfect like me :love: :ROFLMAO:

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014

Yes your right but it's not the most stupid thing I have done.:D

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I met a low bridge in Belgium last week, a sign advised it was 2.9 metre. I know my van is 2.9 metre, I even have a sign to remind me it's 2.9 metre.
But at that second brain freeze set in and I went through the dangling warning thing to remind the idiots who ignore the sign.
Clatter on the top of the oyster.
Didn't fancy finding out how accurate Belgium road engineers are with a measure so reversed up the slip road.
No damage thankfully and the tailback I caused has probably cleared by now as well.
Lesson learned.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Let my kids put a sticker on the back of the van. Now scared to peel it of. Been on there for about 20 years.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A while back, in answer to a Funster who had broken a number of mirrors over the years, l happened to say I'd never broken one. Over the next three trips in my van l broke three ............... me 1, white van man 2. Fortunately mine was a Hymer Classic with old-fashioned arms & mirrors so replacements were cheap.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
A while back, in answer to a Funster who had broken a number of mirrors over the years, l happened to say I'd never broken one. Over the next three trips in my van l broke three ............... me 1, white van man 2. Fortunately mine was a Hymer Classic with old-fashioned arms & mirrors so replacements were cheap.
I made the mistake of not pulling my wing mirrors in at a Croatian supermarket car park. When I came back out the passenger side was cracked. Never done that since.:D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Reading the thread about the guy who tore off a gas strut on his N&B. It struck me that not everyone using vans are engineering types and can make mistakes with the delicate fittings and lightweight parts. We can all benefit from hearing about them, however stupid.

In our first new van I opened the hab door and pushed it back against the catch. Even though it wasn’t that windy a gust slammed it shut onto the insect netting slider. Took me a while to free it and it was never perfect at opening and locking after that, even when the dealer technicians tried to adjust it under the warranty.

I never trusted those catches after that, they’re not fit for purpose unless conditions are almost still. Always use a bungee. When you’re a newbie you learn by experience :D
:D
I had something similar in France on black Saturday when they all start their holidays.

Got to a peage that was crammed with cars nose to tail, and like an idiot I decided to change lanes to go to lane that had fewer cars. I clipped the bumper of the car in front as I moved out. Fortunately it was so gentle there was no damage to mine or hers when we stopped to look. The French family were incredibly friendly actually, that’s why I voted Remain.:D

So basically your a liability when it comes to motorhomes:p

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Was it driving off with the hook up still hooked up? Or was it reversing onto a gas meter that jumped out at me? Or was it reversing onto a grass bank that wasn't there (well not in my mirrors anyway!)? Or was it swinging into a parking space at work forgetting the overhand on the building which made a very large hole in the luton top? Or was it...... Come on folks, we've all done the sillies/ misjudgements/tired mistakes etc. So, I get older, but do I learn any more from my mistakes??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back