Stupid stupid insurance companies (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So I get a renewal for my Smartie
£152.96

Noooooooo.. I do not think so

A quick search around, 20 minutes of filling in forms and faffing around, I get it down to £127.00

Foned up insurers. Sorry, do not renew.. Too expensive Swintons are £26.00 cheaper

Without so much as a moments hesitation the woman said, ' Oh, well if we drop the £30 policy issuing fee that would make it cheaper at £122.96, would that be ok ?'

Sooo.. a total probably of an hour of my time wasted because my insurers were just trying it on..

I fones up Swintons, told them what the new bid was and they matched it.. Had GREAT pleasure foning the first lot back ( all 0800 numbers which they conveniently hide unless you are new business ) and explaining exactly why they could stick their insurance where the sun does not shine..

If more people did this it would stop the idiots trying it on all the damned time :Angry:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Rip offs

Well done John.
Now I'm retired I have more time and less money so I refuse the quote.
I have reduced car insurance, MH insurance, house insurance and AA cover all by threatening to go elsewhere in the last few weeks.
In the past the rat-race got in the way and the pay arrived on the 15th of the month so I didn't chase a deal, now I do.
I sit on the PC and can reduce the price of most things I want by comparing prices.

Peter

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
My travel insurance renewal was due recently and I went online to get a quote.
The quote was reasonable but I didn't finish the transaction - "I'll do it tomorrow " I decided.
Next morning the Insurance company had emailed me and had knocked 10% off the figure quoted the day before.
Job done!

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The AA are the worst.

I recently renewed my contents insurance with them.

They told me they had found a new policy which was something like £30 cheaper than my existing insurer.

There was a warning with the letter that £40 k of cover might not be enough. I thought I had £60k of cover the previous year so i phoned them up to ask what the quote would be for £60k. They quoted about £50 more.

I then asked what my existing cover would cost for £60 k. There followed some computer key pressing before the lady told me that in fact my existing insurers quote was for £60k of cover.:Eeek:

They had deliberately tried to make me pay more than I should have.

When I can be arsed I am going to make a complaint:Angry:

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Funny you should bring this point up now. Had a message from daughter yesterday pointing out that her dad taught her to haggle. Got her insurance cut by half. Don't ever just accept original quote !

Lin

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We SORNed our Smart when we went to Spain for the winter. Full timing we were being charged £735 by Comfort. This insurance was due for renewal so we didn't renew.

When we arrived back in back in March I contacted Comfort and was told the renewal was now going to cost £1437.00

I contacted Aviva on line and got a quote of £197. I then contacted them and made sure they understood I was Full Timing in Motorhome.

They contacted the underwriters and came back with a quote of £260 including breakdown cover.

This is the same company that underwrite Comforts insurance. I then contacted Comfort who said that the price still stood.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Insurance

Like Larby, now we've retired we challenge everything and it usually pays off. The sad thing is that not one of the companies I've dealt with, whether that's Sky, insurance, broadband, mobile phone or whatever, has any interest in rewarding customer loyalty. I find that surprising, but have to assume their balance sheet shows that most people do not push back and meekly accept the raw renewal deals. What's that saying? The meek shall inherit the earth........provided that Ok with everyone else.

:Smile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Even though I work, unlike some of you very lucky retired people (not jealous at all - much) I still make a point of challenging each and every insurance quote. The best was the last house insurance - 5 minute call to the insurer knocked £120 off and made it lower than 4 years ago. It's a really good feeling....... effectively getting paid by the minute even more than some of our lawyer friends..:winky:

no lawyers were hurt during the making of this post!

Edit - I didn't challenge my last dinghy racing insurance; they halved it for a new boat worth more than the last one. Even phoned then and queried it in case I missed something

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Loyalty?

Like Larby, now we've retired we challenge everything and it usually pays off. The sad thing is that not one of the companies I've dealt with, whether that's Sky, insurance, broadband, mobile phone or whatever, has any interest in rewarding customer loyalty. I find that surprising, but have to assume their balance sheet shows that most people do not push back and meekly accept the raw renewal deals. What's that saying? The meek shall inherit the earth........provided that Ok with everyone else.

:Smile:

For LOYALTY read DIRECT DEBIT

You're in control they claim, oh no you're not.
We just sit back and let the company take it and they hope we don't check. athough I have cancelled it in the past. Transferred from BT to Orange for 'phone and broadband. (cheaper)They both took money as BT claimed they hadn't been told. Once the DD doesn't action they contact YOU !!
Years ago we couldn't but we can now with internet banking. My house insurance had risen by 20% in 2 years! I moaned and it is now cheaper than 2 years ago.
When I was working it was all too convenient.
And like John I always use the 0800 number and get transferred rather than 0845 etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back