Stuff one needs when first collecting a Globescout? (1 Viewer)

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Hi All,

Well finally the van I ordered at the NEC is in the country, a Globescout Plus which combined the happy feature of being not only one of the cheapest in the show and therefore affordable... ...but also one of the nicest inside from engineering and finish.

The plan is to perhaps pop up and see it before collection and then go up a few days later to collect it, stay over at the local campsite for a night and then pop back to the dealer with any questions etc. I was thinking therefore that I should maybe take up a bag of stuff or something as it's basically empty.

My first thought is to order a cheap 6kg calor gas bottle at the dealers to start with before I sort out gaslow/gasit/alugas refillable, and I thought I may need a hose and a kettle, is there anything else I may need?

I've heard of the dreaded levelling ramps, I quite like the idea of making mine out of some spare 2 x 4 that I have at home so I'll probably just have to hope for a level pitch (Smeeton lakes IIRC).

So my list is currently

* hosepipe
* kettle + tea
* Sleeping bags + clothes
* Green bio loo stuff
* ?

Also is there a procedure/tap to empty the fresh water tank before driving it back down here? What do you do about that?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I'd add a glass, plate, knife/fork/spoon and maybe a pot or pan so you can heat something for a quick meal. and enjoy a bottle of something to celebrate your purchase.

Make sure the leisure battery is fully charged before leaving the dealer. Your short run to a campsite might not be enough to charge it, and if you aren't going to hook up. You may well be able to fill with water at the dealer and avoid need to take the hose with you for that first try out.

Reactions: GPW

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Suggest you use an electric hook-up for the first night near the dealer, so you can check all the mains electrical kit.

I wouldn't bother with a hose at this stage; as suggested get some water at the dealer. We use a hose at home but a plastic watering can when travelling.

Oh and we normally travel with the fresh water 25% - 50% full.

Good luck with the new van and have fun! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
EHU lead - great idea, I've added that to my list now, I have a 10m one already that I forgot about.
Good tip about the water - it will save faffing about on the day.
Added the bottle to my list too, good point!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
One more Globecar owner - fantatsic :cool:

Besides your overnight gear you should go with the view of testing every conceivable function of the van including the hab bits.

Keep the water tank full and make sure every water gadget works. There is a system of emptying down the tank to 20-litres or to zero but they'll show you that on their very comprehensive handover.

Make sure you test the shower, gas etc and also take a thermometer and bung it in the fridge and the freezer to check the ambient temperatures. You want to make sure the fridge is OK and most people overlook this point.

Take a bucket, car shampoo and sponge and wash it while at Smeaton Lakes (you can use their hot water). It may sound funny but there's no better way of finding a bodywork scuff/ding/scratch than to wash the thing.

Also, make certain that your battery charger and the solar regulator (if fitted) are set to the correct setting for the battery type being used. It's terrible to say but SMC do not have a great track record of getting this bit right.

Smeaton Lakes is only 2-miles away from SMC so take your new Globie up the A1 to check for any rattles or squeaks and investigate accordingly.

Finally, have a word with SMC now to see if the van needs any Fiat recall work (e.g. EGR recall sleeve adjustment) and invite them to fix it before delivery.

You've picked a lovely van so have a great time and enjoy the moment.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Thanks Andrew, very useful checklist! It's on the Peugeot base so I'll get them to check for recalls and that the adblue is full enough.
2 Miles sounds like a great first drive.

Not having any extras fitted immediately, might have the freedom pack done in the autumn - by then I'll hopefully know if I want it (awning, solar, radio), and which hop-up options for the solar and possible dual din radio. It's already way better equipped than my last camping system (a tent that's a bit too small for us) so I'm trying to keep it basic to start while I get used to it :)

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Congrats on your new Globecar and welcome to the club !
As someone said, do use the electrical hookup and test all your sockets. So, you will need something to plug in. Radio?
The hob on our Campscout does not have a built in ignitor so take matches or a lighter. Dealer should provide in your handover but you never know.
You're Globecar is first class compared to a tent so you'll want pillows :D.
Loo paper !?!
And in case the dealer does not provide it.... a bottle of champagne or other beverage and some glasses. :cheers:
Enjoy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ooooooooooo ... I bet you can hardly wait! :D
  • Medication, spare glasses, toiletries ... don't forget the loo roll!
  • Hand & tea towels
  • Bedding, pillows (or use your sleeping bag 'bag' with your clothes stuffed in it).
  • PJ, undies/clothes
  • Kettle and mugs
  • Tea/coffee/sugar/sweeteners/milk
  • Some food and depending on what you take utensils, pots/pans, crockery & cutlery etc to prepare and eat it with (paper plates/bowls might be easier).
  • Sponge, wipe-up cloth & kitchen roll
  • Note pad & pen
  • Torch & matches/lighter for the hob
  • Small floor mat (if you can) to wipe your feet on
As for the gas, ask SMC if they have a part-used one they can leave in for you, that's what our dealer did for us.

Oh, make sure you have a bulkhead regulator too, not the bottle top one which Globecars usually come with from the manufacturer, SMC should change this anyway (FOC) but they can forget.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we collected our previous Globecar from SMC we got a 'goody basket' with bits and bobs in to scoff but I don't remember there being any alcohol in it! :whistle:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Congratulations GPW - excellent choice with a high spec. (y) We are a bit biased as fellow Globecar owners! You need surprisingly little for a night or two but lovely to add all the luxurious bits & pieces once you get it home. Suggest taking a checklist as easy to miss testing some bits in all the excitement.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Why? we travel with FULL water whenever possible (y)
Because we travel close to our maximum weight in this pvc. Previous 6 metre coach-built had plenty of spare capacity on that front so, like you, we normally travelled with more or less full water tank.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
EHU lead - great idea, I've added that to my list now, I have a 10m one already that I forgot about.
Good tip about the water - it will save faffing about on the day.
Added the bottle to my list too, good point!
10m isn't really long enough for an EHU lead. Although I am currently using one :) - but that's only because we are parked close to the socket. But I also carry a 25m one as well and have had to use both joined together once or twice on this trip. They are only 1.5mm which is fine for summer use outside the UK. I also have a 2.5mm orange one for CAMC sites in the UK. :) Outside the UK a two pin adapter will be needed occasionally.

I would suggest you get a good quality lay-flat hose and assorted tap fittings. A collapsible watering can is useful when you can't use a hose, which sometimes happens but a hose is much quicker.

A collapsible bucket or two is also needed for when there is no drive over grey waste dump, which is quite common.

A 21m EHU lead in action! :)

15605168913752007822172.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just a word of warning ref collapsible buckets, they can have a mind of their own and collapse at will especially when really full ... got the t-shirt ... and the wet feet! When we use ours with a lot of water in I put it inside of my inverted folding step that way it can't decide to do a flip-flop!

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Thanks guys, amazing list Minxy, you sound super organised, I'm keeping a list here that has got a few more items in it since your post.
I'll take a regular bucket for the washing that Andrew recommended so that can be multi-use - got loads of those plus I can store stuff in it.
Noted about the 25m EHU lead, will see if I can put up a longer one!
A Goody basket sounds good, they gave me the bottle of wine at the show when I ordered it :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Noted about the 25m EHU lead, will see if I can put up a longer one!
I believe it is a NCC (National Caravan Council) standard that new leisure vehicles should be supplied with a 25-metre orange hook-up cable. So if not offered, make sure you ask for one. It should be FOC.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks Andrew, very useful checklist! It's on the Peugeot base so I'll get them to check for recalls and that the adblue is full enough.
2 Miles sounds like a great first drive.

Not having any extras fitted immediately, might have the freedom pack done in the autumn - by then I'll hopefully know if I want it (awning, solar, radio), and which hop-up options for the solar and possible dual din radio. It's already way better equipped than my last camping system (a tent that's a bit too small for us) so I'm trying to keep it basic to start while I get used to it :)

It's a great idea to start with the normal gear and expand if needed. There's far too many vans equipped with stuff that the user doesn't ever use or need. It's often a waste of money and a poor use of payload.

You'll have great times in your new Globecar for sure :cool:

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I believe it is a NCC (National Caravan Council) standard that new leisure vehicles should be supplied with a 25-metre orange hook-up cable. So if not offered, make sure you ask for one. It should be FOC.
Agree. Had a few motorhomes over the years and all were supplied with a 25 metre hook- up cable.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
A really useful bit of a kit is an external thermal screen for the windscreen. Keeps the van warmer in winter and stops condensation. Also keeps the van cooler in summer. There are several very good suppliers of these - Silver Screens, Taylormade, Minster.

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Added the 25m EHU cable to my 'Mr Dealer could you please' bit of the list, thanks Mike & Co for letting me know!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Welcome to Globecar ... love my van! You’ve had excellent advice already. Our Campscout came with Electric câble and small bottles of toilet chemicals to get you going.
Be prepared that snags may take a couple of weeks to sort, especially if anything needs shipping from Germany. We didn’t pay until they were fixed.
Things we got that I like:
Silver screens are fantastic and allow for winter breaks.
We got great micro fibre towelling towels from Mountain Warehouse.
And my topper from Dunelm.
I think we’ve got too much in but will see after this summer.
Mats washable from Dunelm.
Van can mat from EBay dealer.
Tefal ingénio pans
Cadac 2 cook bbq
Aluminium roll top tables
Folding chairs (regretted not taking on first trip)
Micro fibre pad for draining dishes

Enjoy!

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Thanks Grianan, useful info to know.
Would you mind outlining what happened with the snags and payment, e.g:.

Did they let you take the van away to try it first for a night before you paid?
Did you leave in in their yard while it was being fixed?

I would imagine it is easier if you spot any issues when you first turn up to inspect the van - anything to look out for in your experience? I'm guessing a good circuit of all doors, windows and lights first.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
GPW we went to pick the van up and found it had a warped cupboard door and a few minor paintwork issues.
It was approaching Xmas so the dealer said they would get the bits and pieces fixed and drive it up to us (250 miles).
We were disappointed coming home empty handed but 2 weeks later van was delivered and we transferred the money then.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Congratulations on the new van.
Our handover was very easy and without any snags. We went from a tents to a VW T5 to the Globecar and love it. Hope you really enjoy the van.
It looks like you must be quite local to us, we will keep an eye out as we have never seen another Globecar around here.

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Thanks all, yes ideally no snags, fingers crossed!
I'll keep my eyes out, not seen a Globecar around here, just the odd secondhand Adria Twin pops up in Cambridge Caravans up the road from us. Incidentally we looked at one there before I went to the show, it was sound but put off by having to take delivery immediatedly (wasn't really ready!) and having yet another older vehicle to maintain!
I quite fancied the VWs but the wife doesn't like pop-tops and they were (quite a bit) more expensive than the bigger Globecars.

Easier to park though LOL. I predict a 'best budget rear camera setup' thread here in a couple of weeks, once we get tired of walki-talkies and shouting. Although I may have at last found a use for the walki-talkies. Mind you, I could just use free minutes on the mobiles... or free data for a skype view of the impacts.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
. I predict a 'best budget rear camera setup' thread here in a couple of weeks, once we get tired of walki-talkies and shouting. Although I may have at last found a use for the walki-talkies. Mind you, I could just use free minutes on the mobiles... or free data for a skype view of the impacts.

I would put a revers camera about the top of the list
We went for one separate from the radio and can have it on permanently when driving as a rear view mirror if required

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I would put a revers camera about the top of the list
We went for one separate from the radio and can have it on permanently when driving as a rear view mirror if required
Second that x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back