Stuck in the mud (1 Viewer)

R

RogerD

Deleted User
We are stopping at our first CL this weekend. This will be our first camping on grass. What are the tecniques for driving on wet grass apart from slow, is it second gear like snow. Is there ways to stop getting stuck, If i get stuck (I wont) but if I did how do you get unstuck?

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
I've always used the bottom part of baker's bread trays to stand the wheels on but recently got some Link Removedjust in case.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My advice, if it's wet, inspect the site before driving in, if it feels spongy don't go in..
When parking on suspect ground it's advisable to use mats under all wheels and if possible park facing the exit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I has a similar experience recently,where I thought I was not going to get back off the site.
Typical scenario.Arrive in glorious sunshine,Set up and on the site for 4 days.During that time the site turned into a virtual bog.
We were unable to take our original access route out.
Resorted to taking a long walk around the site mapping out an "escape route" taking note of boggy ground, uphill inclines and gaps between units.
Started off in first gear on tickover and just kept the RIG moving.
If we had stopped or spun the rear wheels we would have been stuck, PLUS made it much more difficult for other campers.
Luckily it worked for us.The route involved a dip and an incline the other side but there was a lot!! of standing water and soft ground.
Good advice given previously as, if in doubt, check the site on arrival and so not enter unless you're happy the ground is firm.
I am getting a set of wheel grips for future use.:RollEyes:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We carry four small boards of thick ply to rest the wheels on when parked on grass.
Also, two seven foot, narrow lengths of thin ply to go under the driven wheels when setting off (with holes drilled in them for pegging down).
The small boards spread the weight to prevent sinking when parked for a while; the long boards allow the van to start moving without the wheelspin caused trying to overcome inertia on the wet ground.

A month ago, on the municipal campsite at Gace, everyone was unexpectedly bogged down after a couple of days' rain. We were fine but we had to help our neighbours out by jacking up the sunken wheels and putting boards under. Fortunately, we carry a full tool kit, including a trolley jack!
Two minute job!

R

Ralph

Deleted User
If the site owner has a Land Rover or a tractor be very very nice to him/her when you arrive. It may be too late by the time you want to leave :frowny:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: If the site has hills? Try to park at the top and drive downwards to gather momentum. But you may have a problem stopping. :roflmto:

F

fordy

Deleted User
I have found that the cheep rubber door mats with the hexagonal holes in from tesco or asda work very well and take up no room in the locker and stop the leveling blocks from cutting in to the grass to much 4 of them around £8.00 easy to hose of to..

FORDY:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back