Stuck in a Brazilian Ravine... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I heard on the radio that a English couple stuck in the ravine in Brazil were driving a motorhome when it left the road and fell into a ravine where they are now stuck. :Eeek:

Apparently they called home on their satellite phone and now the authorities are searching for them...

Are they Funsters I wonder and did the van end up the right way up?

JJ

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
:thumb:
I heard on the radio that a English couple stuck in the ravine in Brazil were driving a motorhome when it left the road and fell into a ravine where they are now stuck. :Eeek:

Apparently they called home on their satellite phone and now the authorities are searching for them...

Are they Funsters I wonder and did the van end up the right way up?

JJ

link to bbc news item posted earlier http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14998701

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you really need to pay more attention JJ

Broken Link Removed

or is your genny driving you to distraction :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
you really need to pay more attention JJ

Broken Link Removed

or is your genny driving you to distraction :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry about that one Jim :Blush:

My only excuse is that when I get up I don't read ALL MotorhomeFun posts as there are other things in my life to do... (washing up this morning)...

And I rarely click on posts that are just links... Was the above post about the ravine just a link?

(apologies to bigmillie for missing the post)

JJ :Cool:

PS. Keep it a secret but when I am at the Studio donig my work in the library there both the Wagon and Hymer are on hookup...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

My only excuse is that when I get up I don't read ALL MotorhomeFun posts as there are other things in my life to do... (washing up this morning)...

And I rarely click on posts that are just links... Was the above post about the ravine just a link?

PS. Keep it a secret but when I am at the Studio donig my work in the library there both the Wagon and Hymer are on hookup...

no need to be sorry mate... scroll down on home page .. it's in the news section

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Is that last years or this years washing up JJ?

JJ is that last years washing up or this years?

Bob:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I got stuck in a Brazilian ravine once......nice girl though::bigsmile:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Worse nightmare scenario.

I know now to put Falmouth rescue into my contact list when travelling around the world. well done them.

Incidententally, we know of them through another friend, we apparently belong to the same forum. A spokesman for the forum maybe on tv news tonight.

I was watching the dangerous road journeys the other day, I dont think I will go off and search for the centre of peru, but a lot of the other routes can be bad due to road conditions, mud slides and some of those massive lorries coming down a single road track.

Must remember to take my blinkers when we do it.

Pat

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
no need to be sorry mate... scroll down on home page .. it's in the news section

It is a link Jim to the BBC news... it was on BBC radio that I heard about the rescue attempt... :winky:

This proves to me that Headlines work...

The words Falmouth Coast Guard didn't catch my eye... maybe Motorhome in Brazilian ravine would have done.. :RollEyes:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Well, I have had a two private message from a journalist from the Telegraph asking me how to contact anyone who knows the couple. It wasnt till I had the second one that I realised that she had just joined the forum today :Doh:.

I have now had an email via a Daily Mail journalist too asking for anyone to get details off.

How much should I charge:ROFLMAO:

Big brother is watching.

On a serious note I hope the couple get rescued okay.

Pat

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Ditto.

Guess who came straight into my mind when I heard this story? :winky:

Are you currently pricing up sat phones?

Gerald

Hi Gerald, its on my list, but they are pretty expensive, we were thinking of having one of those spot locators too that you can press to give your family the area where you are. I think some of them have an alarm call too.

Hopefully in a few years the price might come down some more.
Also we might be able to get a secondhand one of our friends when they return.

Pat

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Just had an email to say that the couple have been rescued.

Phew
Pat

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Worse nightmare scenario.

I know now to put Falmouth rescue into my contact list when travelling around the world. well done them.

Pat

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), said: "It's not the first time we've assisted people across the world.
"This is a bit unusual for us as it's not of a maritime nature, but there are no boundaries in search and rescue."

Perhaps the unfortunate couple, having already been driving around South America for 4 years, would have had the foresight to programs the contact details of the local emergency authorities into their sat phone. Maybe they called ADAC but they did not respond.........:Doh:

So we will now have to increase the funding of the MCA, as they are no longer just the UK Coastguard, dealing with incidents of a Maritime nature off our coasts and around the world. They will now be renamed International Rescue.

Perhaps I shall call them the next time I have a puncture in the Philippines, as unfortunately ADAC do not cover me there!:cry:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The couple, thought to be from London, alerted relatives in England by mobile phone after the crash about 200 miles south west of Manaus in Brazil.

The pair, in their 60s, have been travelling around South America in a motorhome for the past four years.

That's it then, they are lost, they must have been using a Navman!!!!!!!!!!:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back