Stuck for overnighting at NEC Show, any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi all just got new MH, tried to book temp site with CMC, was fully booked, tried to locate camping sites near the NEC, all fully booked.
Do any of you know anywhere we can park safely overnight? I guess we will need two days to get round show.
Thanks for any advice you can give us.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Stratford on avon is only 26 miles away, 22 if you use the old road.
You can legally overnight on the leisure centre car park for a small fee.
Lots of pubs for a nice evening meal.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I normally stay at the Hopwood services when visiting the NEC.

Think it's about £15, but easy to get a good coffee in the morning :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi all just got new MH, tried to book temp site with CMC, was fully booked, tried to locate camping sites near the NEC, all fully booked.
Do any of you know anywhere we can park safely overnight? I guess we will need two days to get round show.

Although not going to the show need to be a couple of miles away on the Saturday night. Was thinking about using the temporary site and taxis but as it's full...............
So thought about a local pet-friendly hotel ('cos of the pooch) but they're all full too. Looking for Plan C.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We normally stay at the Toby carvery. Only 10 mins from the NEC. Don't go Tues eve, I may need the spot myself.;);)

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
worth ringing on the day also as they do get no shows so space does come up occasionally

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We stayed here last year, and booked only a week before we went.

Croxall Farm
B46 2DA

5 miles from NEC

It’s a CS so you’ll need to be in C&CC to use it.

There are others too, but this one I know is fine and not far.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed a pub last time we went. The car park isn't big though so I would get there early. They actually gave us a free hook up. We also met a parcel delivery bloke there who gave us a back road route which missed all the traffic. Unfortunately I don't remember the route. The pub is http://anchorinnatherstone.co.uk/ Warning though we thought we would stay again on the way back and it was chock a block. We ended up staying on the worst campsite I have ever stayed on.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Croxall farm is lovely.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015

We have stayed 3 times at the "White Hart" at Leamington Spa, stopped 3 times, great food and nice open car park. They are in Britstops, only about 20mins drive in the morning to the NEC.

We are staying this year at CMC temp site , got booked in some 4-5 weeks back for the Saturday night.

Good luck (y)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We're staying over at the Wildmoor Oak pub just off the M42.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
B
We have stayed 3 times at the "White Hart" at Leamington Spa, stopped 3 times, great food and nice open car park. They are in Britstops, only about 20mins drive in the morning to the NEC.

We are staying this year at CMC temp site , got booked in some 4-5 weeks back for the Saturday night.

Good luck (y)
Britstops ask you not to refer to sites by name only by their reference number i.e. 419. Some people will turn up believing they can stay but do not have an up to date handbook which is your proof of "membership". Or, are you non members and the landlord doesn't care? Mike

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we used to go we always stayed at Cooperage farm at Meriden, I think it was a CC CL, not far from NEC and an easy drive in the morning.

NEC - cooperage farm meriden.jpg

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
B

Britstops ask you not to refer to sites by name only by their reference number i.e. 419. Some people will turn up believing they can stay but do not have an up to date handbook which is your proof of "membership". Or, are you non members and the landlord doesn't care? Mike

I apologise .. ..We "were" members, so cannot refer to the up to date listing number. Just trying to help anyother FUN member.:oops:

However since being a member of Britstops for 2 previous years, I realise I could phone any pub in the country and ask them privatley whether I could stay, not knowing the pub would be such a member of Britstops. Im not wanting to discourage the whole idea of Britstops as we paid our fee for 2 years as newbies to MH'ing, I now see that I can utilise Google to my advantage further (and for free) to find many more places to stay that didn't sign up to Britstops. ;)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have never understood why the NEC doesnt do as Dusseldorf and in fact all the outside motorhome shows in the UK do and allow you to stop on the carparks for a fee. They ve got acres of space. We went to grand designs at the NEC on Wednesday and the parking fee was £12 so for an overnight visit they would get £44/motorhome for parking and entry, and it would encourage more visitors as people would make an event out of it.

I feel a letter coming on......

Jon

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
B4632 out of Stratford on way to Long Marston airfield has a large layby on LHS - I pass it every day on way to work and there are often Mohos in there wilding. Shielded from road by the verge and q deep so I assume quiet. best way to get to NEC would be to come back towards Stratford - so allow extra time to get over the bridge

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have never understood why the NEC doesnt do as Dusseldorf and in fact all the outside motorhome shows in the UK do and allow you to stop on the carparks for a fee. They ve got acres of space. We went to grand designs at the NEC on Wednesday and the parking fee was £12 so for an overnight visit they would get £44/motorhome for parking and entry, and it would encourage more visitors as people would make an event out of it.

I feel a letter coming on......

Jon
They do ... it's call the CC (or C&MC) temporary site on one of their car parks and it is EXPENSIVE!

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
They do ... it's call the CC (or C&MC) temporary site on one of their car parks and it is EXPENSIVE!
It only has 350 pitches and most days sold out months ago unless you want a monday evening, could have been much bigger or rather just pay for using the carpark overnight as do not really need hook-up or entertainment.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
It only has 350 pitches and most days sold out months ago unless you want a monday evening, could have been much bigger or rather just pay for using the carpark overnight as do not really need hook-up or entertainment.
I agree with you Orridge.
I just hope they will let me park the MH up in the show car park for the day, without charging me extra, as it would take up more space than a car. Its confusing that some shows have parking included in the ticket price and others dont.
It Doesn't make sense to me, as including parking in the price is a lot less admin.
The CMC temp site was quoted at having 400 spaces, some on "paving" some on muddy gravel, but as you say the prices were very expensive, as indeed are any CMC sites these days. We are thinking of resigning the CMC and joining the CCC as at least they have temp sites in the summer.
But hey!, what do I know?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You can park a mh in normal day parking at nec. No charge.

May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
you can park your motorhome for free during the day but it states no overnight parking on the website, how well policed that is I do not know but last year there were plenty of trade motorhomes in some of the car parks.

I need to be in Birmingham for business and thought would combine with a trip to the NEC but the hotels are ridiculously priced and no motorhome overnight left so looking at going by train instead.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I mean more like the Dusseldorf messe. I dont see why the CC need to be involved as its only carparking and also dont see why they couldnt do it for other shows as well. There are several shows many people would like to go for more than one day.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I'm not a cynic by any stretch of the imagination:LOL: but could it be that at 36 squid a night the Caravan & Motorhome club have a vested interest in the rest of the available parking not being available?(y):whistle:

May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Indeed but since most of it was sold out for weeks it probably could have been twice as big and still sold out.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Exactly my thoughts!, it must be a massive money earner for the CMC every year!, maybe twice a year if they offer the same in the Feb NEC show! Makes me wonder why the same offering, or indeed an even better one cant be offered by The CCC? I bet they have tried but have been locked out somehow.
More and more of us are thinking of leaving the CMC, even though some members have been with them for many, many years, so surely they must know they are not getting things right, although, as we know they would never admit it.
Just had voting form through asking us to vote for the same old cronies to continue in their highly paid positions, well we will see what happens, bet you they all get re-elected same as every year!
Rant over, but it is so undemocratic! We need new management, this should be raised on an episode of Question Time !:banghead:

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks to all so far for suggestions of where we could hang out for a night between 2 show days. I am now considering that IF we go now, we will just take the car, and as usual do the long drive from Camberley and back in the same day, not so good as staying over night but at least we get to the show, just have to get round it quickly in one day. I haven't looked at over night accommodation such as Premier Inns and alike, as the idea was to use the new moho, and as some have said prices could be high even if rooms are available. This MH and caravan market is getting bigger than any one of us could have imagined years back.
I must remember to put a block on my DDM to CMC this year, always forget and it automatically renews.
From what I can see members only save a £1 a night anyway on sites, but I suppose we will miss the CL,s. So its time to give the CCC a try, wish me luck.
We must get the ACSI membership card sorted out as well for foreign sites as site discounts are much bigger over there.
Enjoy the show to all that are going, dont spend too much, we wont be. :pinocchio:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back