LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
so which one should I get? I’m booked in for the Strikback fitting in a couple of weeks, but I’m having second thoughts, £750 with 3 extra door switches, it’s quite an outlay, but if I’m spending that much should I go for the Growler anyway. How do I get my discount off it as well?
What’s your thoughts and which did you go for?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Strikeback is great. But since its been avaiable I've chosen Growler because I know that the loud internal sirens are more important in protecting me and or my property than the regular Strikeback alone.

The Discount Code can be found under the Quicklinks menu above. Make sure you claim your discount at the time of booking or you won't get it (y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I can't answer your question about whether to have the Growler fitted. But I believe you need to request and agree the Funster discount when you book your van in!

Might be worth checking asap whether you are too late or not?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'd also like to hear thoughts on this, so thought I'd chime in before Eddie arrives (as I'm sure he will at some point) :)

I'm leaning towards the Strikeback in my next van, as from my limited reading, the Growler is designed to be so loud it's painful? (hope I've got that right - was just a quick read)

My reason is, if the Growler is that loud, what happens if it goes off accidentally?

I'm thinking my dog. If that loud, couldn't it really hurt a dog?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm thinking my dog. If that loud, couldn't it really hurt a dog?

It is loud and your dog would not thank you for it. Even the regular siren could upset a dog. But for that reason, VanBitz give you the facility when setting the alarm to turn of the very loud internals when leaving pets inside (y)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We are just back from being "Eddiefied" at Vanbitz, we stayed a couple of nights on their lovely site, the whole family team are just great, the workmanship is second to none.
The main difference for us between The Strikeback & The Growler apart from the additional internal sounders & external Blue LED,s that flash, is that you will get a lifetime warranty on the Growlers control box, so it shows how confident Eddie is that these things are reliable. The Waeco twin reversing cameras with separate LCD monitor are great also, very clear view now of who is driving up my bum!
Eddie & his family team, will always ask what type of use the van is going to have, and will only recommend the system that is best suited for your needs by helping you to asses the risks, but if your going to stay on French Aires The growler is a no brainer. The rear closed loop cable and connector supplied is also a great way of protecting anything you have stored outside the van, like bikes, tables, chairs or even generators. Simply wrap the cable through the items you want to protect, switch on the alarm and they are covered.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I set the alarm off the other week whilst being searched by the French Security(soldiers) at the tunnel. I had set the alarm whilst overnight at Citi Europe. I thought the whole system was deactivated when I pressed the single button before setting off to check in. At the check in said security asked me to open outside lockers. Did as asked, good lady sat in passenger seat, alarms went off. Could not turn off quick enough and good lady had ringing in the ears for ages from the alarm not sure if they were the internals but enough noise.

Still have not worked out how I had armed the lockers but internal and habitation door not armed even after I pressed the fob once to get under way and the internal blue light stopped flashing. So shall check handbook again.
If this is not an option I think I may have pressed the panic setting at gg same time as I unlocked the door as the fob is on the key bunch

In answer to the OP, the internal sirens are not nice for anybody sitting in the van so any thief will not want to hang about in the van

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
I set the alarm off the other week whilst being searched by the French Security(soldiers) at the tunnel. I had set the alarm whilst overnight at Citi Europe. I thought the whole system was deactivated when I pressed the single button before setting off to check in. At the check in said security asked me to open outside lockers. Did as asked, good lady sat in passenger seat, alarms went off. Could not turn off quick enough and good lady had ringing in the ears for ages from the alarm not sure if they were the internals but enough noise.

Still have not worked out how I had armed the lockers but internal and habitation door not armed even after I pressed the fob once to get under way and the internal blue light stopped flashing. So shall check handbook again.
If this is not an option I think I may have pressed the panic setting at gg same time as I unlocked the door as the fob is on the key bunch

In answer to the OP, the internal sirens are not nice for anybody sitting in the van so any thief will not want to hang about in the van
I think the lads down at Eddie's said 34 seconds was the longest anyone had managed to stay inside with the internal sirens going! :eek:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Guys (just for my learning),

Is the Growler & Strikeback systems unique to Vanbitz and if so then are these fully recognised by all of the primary insurance providers.

Cheers,

Andrew

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
With the funster discount I opted for the growler with a non start Meta Trak which you control with an app on your phone, very pleased with everything, the service and workmanship is second to none

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm not a great fan of alarms & I was also concerned about setting it off accidentally, or false alarms... even with disabling the internal siren.
However, the insurance insisted...
So I went with Strikeback and Non Starter...
I really like "Non Starter", far more effective & useful IMO than any alarm however loud.

YMMV

OP
OP
Ukbandit

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
We are just back from being "Eddiefied" at Vanbitz, we stayed a couple of nights on their lovely site, the whole family team are just great, the workmanship is second to none.
The main difference for us between The Strikeback & The Growler apart from the additional internal sounders & external Blue LED,s that flash, is that you will get a lifetime warranty on the Growlers control box, so it shows how confident Eddie is that these things are reliable. The Waeco twin reversing cameras with separate LCD monitor are great also, very clear view now of who is driving up my bum!
Eddie & his family team, will always ask what type of use the van is going to have, and will only recommend the system that is best suited for your needs by helping you to asses the risks, but if your going to stay on French Aires The growler is a no brainer. The rear closed loop cable and connector supplied is also a great way of protecting anything you have stored outside the van, like bikes, tables, chairs or even generators. Simply wrap the cable through the items you want to protect, switch on the alarm and they are covered.
But I thought they were both Strikeback units but growler as extras fitted so the unit will be the same a Meta alarm I presume

Reactions: f6c

Snackweasle

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo Time 734
Exp
3 months
We have strikeback which is bloody loud as it has extra siren fitted. The memsaab set it off by accident.... almost poohed myself.....then of course you cant find the keys to turn the bugger off for a while...

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Safeguard and Comfort insurance both recognise the Strikeback and Growler systems. As far as I'm aware, these are Vanbitz security devices (based on Meta?).
We obtained insurance approval from major insurers for Van Bitz systems before Thatcham ever existed (y)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I had the Growler fitted to our new MH shortly after we bought it a few months ago. No problem at all with false alarms, other than when I forgot to turn it off before opening the door! I opted not to have have the tracker and non-starter system fitted because my MH came with a tracker already fitted. On reflection, I think I made the wrong decision :( At least I know what to do when and if we opt to replace our MH :)

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Had growler on our last van for 4 1/2 years. Alarm never went wrong once, although blue LED failed. Rang them and they sent a replacement in post straight away.

First class company.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
I had a Strikeback+ fitted, half way between a Strikeback and a Growler.
Extras consisted of LED front & rear, additional sirens, additions to cover all doors/hatches.
The price fell somewhere between the Strikeback and the Growler. Suits my needs, easy to use and never had an accidental discharge!
Does what it says on the tin - a no brainer.

Terry

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I had the Growler fitted to our new MH shortly after we bought it a few months ago. No problem at all with false alarms, other than when I forgot to turn it off before opening the door! I opted not to have have the tracker and non-starter system fitted because my MH came with a tracker already fitted. On reflection, I think I made the wrong decision :( At least I know what to do when and if we opt to replace our MH :)
The main advantage witj the non-starter is that if the alarm goes off while you are aeay it phones and texts you to let you know.

Shep3522

Free Member
Sep 24, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628
Exp
I’m a Newbie
Strikeback is great. But since its been avaiable I've chosen Growler because I know that the loud internal sirens are more important in protecting me and or my property than the regular Strikeback alone.

The Discount Code can be found under the Quicklinks menu above. Make sure you claim your discount at the time of booking or you won't get it (y)

Shep3522

Free Member
Sep 24, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628
Exp
I’m a Newbie
I have the Strike Back Growler inside Sirens and out Fitted by Vanbitz however I cannot for life of me remember if I have to pay a Yearly Subscription? Anyone know

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Like Terry242 I had the Strikeback+ fitted (May 2017). Perfect for my needs and it has looked after my van for over 2 years, giving me the confidence to leave it unattended in remote beach locations while kayaking, or in remote mountain locations, while I’m out fell walking, both for hours on end.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
No subscription for stand alone Growler, but non starter and tracker come from Metatrack I believe, so yes we paid for the 3 year monitoring service. They regularly send me e-mails to remind me I am not holidaying enough as the van is static on the drive too long. I give them a call and whilst on phone start the engine and they test its working.?
Hope that helps.
Les.
PS The Growler is great, but I wouldn't want to be inside the van when the sirens go off, I have also set the external Blue LED's to the dimmer option as my neighbours said they were lighting up there bedroom at night.?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've never been convinced of the effectiveness of an alarm alone... so I went for the slightly more basic Strikeback but spent the extra on the Non Starter...

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I've never been convinced of the effectiveness of an alarm alone... so I went for the slightly more basic Strikeback but spent the extra on the Non Starter...
Eh! Eh! you wot? speak up, cant hear a damn thing with these alarms going off, Non Farter?, yea thats me!:LOL:
Les

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back