Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
I'm travelling soon to Europe & am planning to get an alarm fitted :

I've read here quite a few times that Stikeback are the best - what is it that makes them different from others?

The 2 main problems I don't want to encounter are :

1) Being broken into while we're sleeping - if I'm not in the van it's less important though still wouldn't be nice. I will be staying in campsites on this occasion so hopefully security won't be a major issue though I'm getting butterflies in my stomach at the thought of going.

2) Alarm being disabled by an intruder.

Thanks in advance!

Dot

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Being an ex crime prevention officer I am keen to stay safe and have a cat one alarm fitted, however with increasing stories I decided to fit some flexible door restraints to the inside of the doors so that they will not open even if the locks are forced they were simple to fit only four screws in each they come with lock and screws, I am a chippy so I suppose it sounds easy to me but anyone with a bit of DIY knowledge could do this It just gives a bit of piece of mind whilst asleep although our dogs would let us know if someone was outside.
The restrictors are: Penkid window cable restictors. Cost £5.51 each.sales@trulypvc.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Strikeback alarm is the best you can get. Also bikes and lockers fully protected. Well worth a look but you need to balance costs against risks. We never protected the windows as a determined toe rag will get in anyway. Cheers

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I must say looking around for a MH has brought a concern into my mind in that outside lockers are good access for a thief to get into the interior. Internal deadbolts, alarm sensors, weld them shut? ( joke).

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have the lockers that allow access to inside alarmed, however they would have a job lifting the double bed without waking us or the dogs, but the windows are always going to be vulnerable even if you fit restraints, I haven't bothered as I feel if someone tries to get into a window they are going to be very noisy and will have to climb up into them I think if you can make it as difficult as you can the thieves will probably walk away as they are usually opportunists looking for an easy target.

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
Thank you for the replies! Will look into the door restraints but probably won't be allowed to fit ourselves - it invalidates the warranty allegedly.

I'm encountering a few warranty issues at present and maybe someone could enlighten me to the law. Bailey have stated in their paperwork that any unapproved dealers doing work to the van will invalidate the warranty - I've had quite a few things needing fixed to date and would like to keep the warranty - if I had faith that nothing else was going to happen I wouldn't care. I would like a Strikeback fitted but it looks as though our dealer can't supply one and I would be more than happy to go to Vanbitz but they aren't approved. Can Bailey refuse to allow me to have my alarm of choice fitted if they can't themselves recommend an approved fitter? Is there a similar alarm? As state above - I want one that can't be disarmed.

Thanks again - this site has been invaluable since I joined last October & I hope to meet some of you on my travels at some stage.

Dot

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm a bit surprised that Bailey say that the fitting of a strikeback alarm (the best there is) will invalidate the warranty. That just does not seem right to me at all......... Hope Eddie Vanbitz is reading this and can comment

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:groan:I think they mean the restraints you could ask baileys agents to fit them although it would cost an arm and a leg I expect

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
I'm a bit surprised that Bailey say that the fitting of a strikeback alarm (the best there is) will invalidate the warranty. That just does not seem right to me at all......... Hope Eddie Vanbitz is reading this and can comment

Having it fitted by a fitter who is not NCC or Bailey approved is what invalidates the warranty. Vanbitz aren't approved by either and I know it's nuts as they come highly recommended.

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
Having it fitted by a fitter who is not NCC or Bailey approved is what invalidates the warranty. Vanbitz aren't approved by either and I know it's nuts as they come highly recommended.

I've just checked my emails. Earlier today I spoke to the girl on switchboard & she informed me that having it fitted by a fitter who was not NCC or Bailey approved invalidated the warranty but I emailed Customer Services and this was their reply which I feel is fair enough :

'I can clarify that having a Strikeback Alarm fitted would not automatically invalidate your warranty. However please note that if as a direct result of having one fitted there is an ingress issue in the future the repair for that part of the panel would be down to whoever fitted the alarm. It is for this reason that we always recommend that modifications to our motorhomes and indeed caravans are performed by Bailey approved retailers/service centres, of whom I have identified the following:'

So, it pays to clarify things as I could quite easily have felt that I had to fit a Cobra or other make when I really want a Strikeback.

Dot

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - good and vital bit of clarification. As far as I can see there are no panels penetrated by the system; the detectors are all internal and almost out of sight so I will take the risk with mine.........

........having seen water ingress on both roofs and rear ends of Motorhomes caused directly by approved fitters then the professional work standards of Vanbitz will do quite well for me. Best of luck - you won't regret fitting it. He had the extra sirens this time (not the growler) and it really is a deterrent. I would recommend it as an extra if not having the growler

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
so I will take the risk with mine.........

........having seen water ingress on both roofs and rear ends of Motorhomes caused directly by approved fitters then the professional work standards of Vanbitz will do quite well for me.

I agree.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We had a Vanbitz alarm fitted to our long terming van many moons ago. A first class bit of kit with the ability to provide perimeter security when you are asleep. The cost is offset by the total peace of mind when sleeping and away from the van. The external alarm was absolutely debilitating at 3 metres and I'm no wilting violet! We get our new van mid 2015 and our first trip will be get another Vanbitz alarm fitted.(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm travelling soon to Europe & am planning to get an alarm fitted :

I've read here quite a few times that Stikeback are the best - what is it that makes them different from others?

The 2 main problems I don't want to encounter are :

1) Being broken into while we're sleeping - if I'm not in the van it's less important though still wouldn't be nice. I will be staying in campsites on this occasion so hopefully security won't be a major issue though I'm getting butterflies in my stomach at the thought of going.

2) Alarm being disabled by an intruder.

Thanks in advance!

Dot

Here is a few tips on buying an alarm.

Don’t choose an overly complicated alarm.
Ask for a demonstration of the alarm, you want to know that it is easy to arm and disarm.

Remote Notification

If your budget runs to it; look for an alarm that will communicate with your phone and let you know when it is triggered. Preferably with a map showing precisely where it is and better still if you can have it alert more than one phone.

No really loud chirps.
Choose a motorhome alarm system that flashes to indicate it is working, rather than one which loudly beeps or buzzes as this noise can make you pretty unpopular on a campsite.

Insist on interior sirens.
These are so much more important than external, (though you will want external as well) A loud internal siren is incapacitating and burglars will not stay long in a van with these screaming; leaving well hidden items undisturbed. Internal sirens need to be very loud to be effective, so its important that the internal sirens can be isolated for times when we leave pets in the van.

Choose an alarm that lets people know it is alarmed.
The biggest value that an alarm gives is one of deterrent. Warning stickers are good but in-your-face warning LED’s are better. So many alarms designed for cars which are sold to motorhomers; are not equipped with external warning LEDS, Of course internal ‘warning-I-am-alarmed’ are great in a car, flashing away on the dashboard, but in a motorhome, as soon as curtains and screens are in place burglars cannot see the vehicle is alarmed. You cannot have too many external lights. These should leave a burglar in no doubt that your vehicle is alarmed. This will push crooks toward softer targets.

Lockers need to be secured.
Lockers are an easy way into many motorhomes and should always be secured and alarmed. The best alarms also have alarm extension loops so you can easily secure exterior items such as bikes or trailers, bringing them under the protection of your alarm system. These loops are handy on site too as you can quickly loop all exterior items such as bikes chairs and BBQs and have them alarmed over night.

Sleep mode.
You need to specify a sleep mode. This should be easily and positively activated; if it is not then you will not use it. You should always sleep with this sleep mode activated, whether on site or not. We get used to noise from outside, especially when parked up on motorway service areas or busy sites, this makes us sleep pretty soundly and this is one of the reasons we are more vulnerable to theft when we are asleep that we might imagine. The sleep mode should activate your perimeter to include doors and lockers.

Panic Button
Good alarms have a panic button mode. Activate it and all the sirens sound. There are a number of scenarios where a panic button is a good idea. Especially when incorporated with a pager/phone system that lets others know you’re in trouble.

Last but not least.
Alarms have mechanical as well as electrical components and they involve a lot wire runs all over your motorhome. While a good alarm should last as long as a motorhome, it may well require servicing from time to time. So satisfy yourself, as much as you can, that the dealer you buy from is going to be around for a while and is professional enough to make detailed notes and photographs of your particular installation so should something go wrong in the future, they know exactly where to go to put it right.

If you can tick all those boxes you'll have a good alarm and it will probably be a Strikeback. (y)

Last edited:

chris burns

Funster
May 29, 2014
seaford
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
since 1985
Strikeback, Strikeback, Strikeback,
They are made for motor homes !
not cars,
not trailers
just motor homes. :)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
wot Jim said(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back