Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Ok,daft question possibly,can we motorhomers use the street side charge points which are meant for electric cars??

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
edit - but as you almost certainly didn't ask to get ridicule, you must have hoped you might be able to

they are completely different beasts, they don't deliver 240V :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
at the risk of being really dumb...... What do they deliver
edit - but as you almost certainly didn't ask to get ridicule, you must have hoped you might be able to

they are completely different beasts, they don't deliver 240V :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
at the risk of being really dumb...... What do they deliver

most of the roadside outlets will be 400V, the real spec I don't know and we even drive an electric car!!

thinking about it I am not at all sure where the voltage gets dropped if it even does, we have a lead for home with a 13A plug and a box of bits half way down it, and a lead for the wall boxes that has nothing

I guess I really should find out :) but I am pretty sure the car runs at DC volts but don't know how many

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Thankyou,yeah twas dumb.......but just a thought :) :) :)

Hi.
KEEP THINKING!. that was a great idea,don't give up,try,try,try again. You are destined to be a Captain of Industry and no doubt be getting a Queens award,Yes. About 2years at the Scrubbs LOL. Cracking idea,was about to aquire... an electric car plug,back to the drawing board with you.
Tea Bag

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Maybe a hybrid electric motorhome will not be too far away

range could be an issue, particularly due to weight, but I understand the buses in South Korea are electric and wireless charged from under the road, that will do nicely :)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

range could be an issue, particularly due to weight, but I understand the buses in South Korea are electric and wireless charged from under the road, that will do nicely :)

Most motorhomers struggle to run a TV for more than 2hrs on their batteries.
Can you imagine how many 'Help Batteries' threads there would be if motorhomes used batteries for motive power too?:Eeek:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You could always tap into a handy lamp post (y) :imoutahere:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can you imagine how many 'Help Batteries' threads there would be if motorhomes used batteries for motive power too?:Eeek:

None, as the weight of the batteries would make them all overweight before the driver got in.:D

Or drive around till you see an external power socket in someone's garden....

Or where the local weekly market is .:whistle:

With your luck your pick up point will keep dropping off.:LOL:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009

Hi.
Oh ye of little faith... Thinks. Convert an "Electric Cow" Milk float to you,sorted.
Remember,this all started with Angelwitch pushing the boundries of "Can Do!" As said before,keep 'em coming The CEO of Autotrail is getting very worried about the direction this posting is going.
Tea Bag (Great Scott: Back to the future LOL)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmmm, what about a small oil burner engine powering a large electric motor? Engine not connected to wheels just to a generater.

Oh bugger, it's turned into a genny thread, I'm sorry.:imoutahere::getmecoat:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I can't see them being 400V as most people have a home charging socket which would be 240V, so it isn't such a daft idea. Our local Morries even has the same socket as the van's.

Joe

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Not sure but the points may have a different socket/plug than normal EHU anyway.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well we know that cars can go into a 230v socket at home which is AC, then there's a box which will be a transformer or some such thing and we know the car will run on DC. The question is what voltage DC comes out the other end? If it's 12v DC it could go into the leisure side but not through the 230v socket on the sides of our MoHo's innitt.(y)

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Most car charging points are actually chargers delivering varying dc or AC three phase voltages through a special multipoint socket/lead. Most can only be accessed by a special ID card purchased by a electric car user.
So totally unsuitable for a motorhomes, but with VW diverting their R&D budget to electric cars, who knows.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back