Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Security

Glad to hear of the number of members who are carrying out 'Risk Assessments in respect to van security'. Unfortunately there are still far to many easy break-ins of vans where owners have taken no notice of remarks made on forums like this.
Easy pickings leads to more break-ins so everyone has an obligations to improve security to reduce such break-ins.
Re Gassing, about 8/10 years ago I was on a course involving the effect of gasses. I questioned a gas consultant about M/H owners say they had been gassed. Answer ' if you could fill the vans with enough gas to put you to sleep you would not wake up'. Haven't heard of too many gassing deaths lately.
Keep Security on your Mind its Cost Effective.
Ron W.

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
I have a Kontiki on Fiat Ducato and purchased from Homebase a garden shed security plastic covered steel rope complete with padlock which must be about 2m long. I can loop it through the door handles , through the steering wheel and round the bottom of the steering column. Any attempt to open the door results in the horn being sounded.

Looks good from the outside.

As far as the fire escape concerns, I think a bit of common sense on this matter goes a long way

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Just got back from 2 weeks wild camping on the side of the Med in france and noticed some italian vans wilth roller shutters over the plastic windows, l was camping just outside Sete on the beach about 40ft sand then the sea swam every day, great Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, in france the m,home company NOTON or NOTAN always put roll down blinds on their convertions .i think its a great idea cant understand wht all m,home converters dont do it. theywere aluminum at one time. i looked here 10yr ago and didnt find them else would have used them. lots of german camper/trucks have hinged security panels over their windows quite like that idea as well. cheers alan.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
We have thought of ways to make van secure at night after hearing all the stories on websites, we do have a habitiation alarm but seems to go off for no reason sometimes so i have came up with this idea.
On each door i have fitted where no one can see presonal attack alarms on the cab doors they are at the bottom near the step so no way anyone from out side can reach or even see them and if the door is opened more than a couple of mm as i have them quite tight they will alarm. the back door the alarm is fixed to the wall next to the door. we have actually tested them to see if they work while wild camping gave keys to friends in other mh and asked them to enter ours anytime during the night and by god these things are loud.
Im sure people will be able to pick fault with this but i am happy to use this system.

Gerry

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Im sure people will be able to pick fault with this but i am happy to use this system.

Gerry

I doubt it, it's good advice. Personal attack or Shed alarms make very good improvised security systems:thumb:

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I know of a gentleman who used to be a customer of mine at a large motorhome dealer I used to work for. He camped on his own a lot and had one of these between the two cab doors and one of the habitation door. I saw it demonstrated opening one of the doors. It would be impossible to sleep through or ignore the sound. The one on the habitation door was connected to a stick on hook on the body. Not rocket science but they work.

The url for similar devices is:
Link Removed

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
thats just like the ones we use also forgot to mention we also have a bungie on the door handle at the back and on to pot handle at other side so if door is opened and alarm dosent work pot will fall and make a big bang lol

Gerry

alan1949

Free Member
Sep 11, 2009
Funster No
Motorhome Security.

Touring from monaco to venice stopped over night in services.
while sleeping they broke in throu front door. daughter woke first he looked at her.
casualy walked away. pinched ipod etc i think fastening doors inside good idea as
long as your safe.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
door straps/security

Hi,i agree with others belts,straps or ratchet straps are a minor detterant easily cut.Do what i did,i went to local ships chandler (took van with me) he measured the space between the doors and the made up two similar lengths of 10mm dia steel cable plastic coated to prevent any damage cost, £12.40
Then went to local lock shop and bought two 1" long shank padlocks c/w the same keys ,connect both ends and bobs your uncle,security for under twenty quid and they cant be cut and you will hear any noise made unde you can still drive off with them on if need be.:thumb:

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Internal Security

I have Screwfix swivel window locks fitted to all doors. They can be opened easily from inside but not from out side unles the 'T'leaf breaks the glass.

I used to use Safeway deadlocks but these are locked from outside the van and in an emergency you cannot get out. Same with a locking device I have that goes through the door handles. It would be difficult to locate the key and unlock in extremis.

Steve

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Having moved from a transit which had deadlocks as standard I cant believe on my 2005 Ducato there are no deadlocks. I will be looking at adding some shortly.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
B&Q sell plastic coated steel wire suitable for the job. I used some of their cable clamps and put an eye in each end. I then use a padlock to secure it across the two cab doors.

Bit OTT really the dog as is on a hair-trigger all night and every night, even at home!

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Any security is better than none, l have been a locksmith for over 30 years the problem l see with fitting reversing sensors on the outside of your RV is every time some one walks passed they go off, am l missing the point or do they just keep waking you up all night till you switch them off then they gas you:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back