Strange Warning Lights (2 Viewers)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
A friend of mine has a 2013 Autotrail Apache on a Ducato base. Just got back from France & said they had a "moment" with the van. Apparently he engaged the cruise control, then noticed ABS & "water in fuel" warning lights on dash. Eventually found Fiat Professional dealer who stripped the filter etc & found no problems. He just went careful with his braking. They discovered that these lights only came on when cruise selected, as soon as it was switched off, the warnings disappeared. Dealer reckoned it was just a glitch. Has anybody else out there had these problems & if so, what was it? Thanks, Chris

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Standard problem with the instrument binical, if under warranty Fiat will change it. Otherwise £900 for new one or Cartronix will repair with lifetime warranty for £150. Had mine done by them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Had same issue on my Boxer, the problem is as posted above. Thankfully mine was replaced under warranty.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Had my instrument binnacle (Auto-trail Savannah 2013) replaced twice under warranty. His Apache may just be out of warranty (three years) but could be worthwhile challenging Fiat as it is a very common known fault and the mention of Consumer Goods Act may elicit a favourable response. Other than that might be sensible to go with Lenny's option?

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Yep same as above. Mine is just over 12 months old and when I mentioned it to the FIAT agent whilst MH was in for servicing, he said it was a known problem, oxidisation of connections. They are replacing mine free of charge under warranty.

Ian

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Do you think that I should put in an advance notice with my first service, along the lines of I have noticed some warning lights coming on when selecting cruise control. My Ducato march 2015 build. I have just been out for a run but didn't select cruise control, I hardly ever do. Just worried that will have the problem as so many others seem to have it?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Do you think that I should put in an advance notice with my first service, along the lines of I have noticed some warning lights coming on when selecting cruise control. My Ducato march 2015 build. I have just been out for a run but didn't select cruise control, I hardly ever do. Just worried that will have the problem as so many others seem to have it?
yes. o r turn it on just to see what happens.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp

To be fair its not actually a problem for the MH operation, more an inconvenience, as its just an indication problem, or so the garage told me. But would do no harm in advising the servicing agent of the issue just to see if you can claim it under warranty.
Apparently because its a MH, my replacement part needs to be ordered from Fiat Italy, I have no idea why...

Ian

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Mine has the same problem. Reported to FIAT Professional on 15th November 2016, being repaired 14th February, 2017.

Not a actly speedy service.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
To be fair its not actually a problem for the MH operation, more an inconvenience, as its just an indication problem, or so the garage told me. But would do no harm in advising the servicing agent of the issue just to see if you can claim it under warranty.
Apparently because its a MH, my replacement part needs to be ordered from Fiat Italy, I have no idea why...

Ian
It will be when it fails an MOT.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Had exactly the same problem fiat replaced instrument cluster under warranty last year.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Does this problem provide evidence of an "inherent fault" in case of failure outside the warranty period?

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Ninovan - talk to Fiat customer services. As others have said it is a known fault. Mine was replaced by Fiat despite being out of warranty. I had to pay the local Fiat dealer to confirm the diagnosis but the binnacle itself was replaced at no cost to me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The tester won't check cruise control on an MoT so won't show as a fault :)
Having had the fault it is not always when the cruise is on and different lights come on dim at different times only needs for the ARS or ABS to be on for a fail.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As @Lenny HB says some warning lights glowed dimly when cruise control switch in "off" position but got brighter when switch in "on" position. Local Fiat Commercial depot (who are not an MOT Testing Station) said it would probably be an MOT failure. This was confirmed by the MOT Station I took it to a couple of months later. They said they had failed one or two over the previous few months as it indicated an issue with the ABS, seat belts, etc. They didn't seem that interested when I pointed out it was actually a know instrument cluster issue.

@Riverbankannie you don't actually need to drive the vehicle. Just start it up, turn the cruise control switch to "on" and see if some of the warning lights come on (possibly not at full glow though). If they do get it fixed under warranty 'cause replacement is not far short of £1k if you end up having to pay for it.

On both occasions our local Fiat Commercial depot ordered it, had it delivered over night and fitted it next day (or the day after that?).

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
On both occasions our local Fiat Commercial depot ordered it, had it delivered over night and fitted it next day (or the day after that?).[/QUOTE]
You were lucky!

Our "local" FIAT Professional workshop, (40 miles away), required me to take it in "so they could examine it".

A round journey of 80 miles led to a 45 second check and a promise to order the part which could be fitted "while you wait".

Another 80 mile round trip because, on arrival, they couldn't do it while I waited and I had no way to get home without the m/h.

It is due to be repaired on 14th February, almost two months after I first reported it.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have posted before about my EML illuminating when the second fan kicks in or when the air con is activated. Reading this thread (and bearing in mind that the cruise control is always switched On), thought I would try running the air con with the cruise control switched to Off.

Well, ran the engine for some time with the air con on and no light, don't know if it is because the weather is cold but when I get a chance I will go for a run and see what happens.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
On both occasions our local Fiat Commercial depot ordered it, had it delivered over night and fitted it next day (or the day after that?).
You were lucky!

Our "local" FIAT Professional workshop, (40 miles away), required me to take it in "so they could examine it".

A round journey of 80 miles led to a 45 second check and a promise to order the part which could be fitted "while you wait".

Another 80 mile round trip because, on arrival, they couldn't do it while I waited and I had no way to get home without the m/h.

It is due to be repaired on 14th February, almost two months after I first reported it.[/QUOTE]

Yeh, we're in the reasonably fortunate position of the nearest Fiat Commercial only being about 5 - 6 miles away (at a guess).
First instance I took it in on our way back from a trip as we were passing and as you say 30 second look see to confirm fault. Back next morning and sat in the passengers seat whilst the technician replaced it. Less than half an hour and off I went.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 months out of warranty. Charged £80 + VAT for diagnosis but as I told them what was wrong, the person booking the van in knew what was wrong and the person doing the diagnosis did as well I ensured I got the £96 back. Not bad service in the end.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Same thing with our Peugeot Boxer, we had the dash display replaced under warranty, first signs were the abs and glow plug lights part lit immediately after locking the van (easier to notice in the dark).
Even though it's a common problem manufacturers won't admit it.

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
Mine failed on 2015 Autocruise Forte on Fiat base vehicle, same fault as described when cruise switched on several dash lights came on at half brightness. Originally bought vehicle new from Lowdhams Nottingham, researched fault online, called dealer and parts ordered without seeing it themselves as they knew of this as a common fault, they changed dash in couple of hours, great customer service IMHO....

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Thanks everybody for all your comments; really useful! I went over today armed with the print out & he is going to first of all try Fiat - he has an extended warranty so they might/might not play ball. Failing which a quick trip to Cartronix as it's only about an hours drive. He was dead chuffed that so many people came back so quickly, surprising how many suffer from the same problem. Think we've got a new convert to MHF (y).

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
My 2015 Elddis on a boxer base has just developed this fault. It is booked in with Peugeot on Monday so fingers crossed that it gets fixed quickly because we hope to take our very first trip abroad with it in April ( just retired ).
It was this thread that saved my sanity. I thought I had seen some strange lights on the dash on the way home last trip but when I first took the van a few days ago they found nothing wrong. Then by reading this thread I found out about switching cruise control on so took it back this morning and dragged the service manager out to show him. That worked ☺ so thanks folks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back