Strange response at campsite reception in Greece. (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We almost never use campsites, b ut as we are on the Patras-Venice ferry tomorrow midnight and cassette facilities are non-existent in Greece other than campsites we thought we would go to a site for tonight.

We arrived at Camping Melissa on the W. coast of the Peloponnese some 80km S. of Patras. We were told the cost for one night is €21, which seemed a bit steep since our water is full, we do not use site toilets or showers so only needed cassette dump. So we aked how much for cassette dump alone. Answer was it was not possible, so enquired if it was possible if we stayed ' No - it finished yesterday.'

So if we had paid €21 we could have wasted the money. We are OK as cassette not full and we have a spare.

Very strange attitude. Could not find out why as the guy spoke very little English - maybe a stand-in.

Drove 700m down road to beach parking with taverna - 15-20 MHs here.

Don't be jealous as the weather broke today with thunderstorm and heavy rain, which is why I am posting, but we are leaving tomorrow so no real problem.

I will try to recount our two 5-week trips in Greece when we return.

Geoff

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Maybe they use special sewage processing equipment in the season. I've stayed in hotels in Greece a couple of times and at neither was it permitted to flush loo paper down the pan.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Daughter and SIL rented a house in Portugal,prior to buying some land... Paper in a bin at the side.............. Didn't stay there long.
Tea Bag
I still remember it well as it happened to me 30 and 45 years ago on two separate honeymoons. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Daughter and SIL rented a house in Portugal,prior to buying some land... Paper in a bin at the side.............. Didn't stay there long.
Tea Bag
That is standard practice in teahouses in the Nepalese Himalaya. Waste paper gets burnt daily.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Hi.
" Honeymoons "............ You found/made time to go to the loo ?................... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;):love:
Tea Bag
Yep. And on a couple of nights in Cephalonia we felt the ground move but discovered that earth tremors are quite common on the island.
How we laughed.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Same in majority of places here outside of towns.
Hi Gus.
We have a tank,ring up the council/Camara. They send out the " Slurry gulper ". Super chap operating it,when he leaves,you would never know he had been,the place is spotless.
Tea Bag

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Don't be jealous as the weather broke today with thunderstorm and heavy rain, which is why I am posting....
Hope it clears, supposed to be sailing next week.

An odd response though, perhaps lost in translation. I know some areas in Greece wind down about now...

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Planned a similar trip but pandemic meant we had to cancel. Would be interested in reading your trip notes.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Maybe they use special sewage processing equipment in the season. I've stayed in hotels in Greece a couple of times and at neither was it permitted to flush loo paper down the pan.
That is quite standard in a lot of places in Spain

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
I have never understood the “paper in the bin” idea. Surely paper is as biodegradable as human waste, unless in these countries they have some sort of plastic paper?

Anyway, it was too primitive for me, so it all went the same way - and this was a 4star hotel on Crete last week!

Incidentally, as we left, we counted 6 motorhomes going in the opposite direction. Post hoc, propter hoc??

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have never understood the “paper in the bin” idea. Surely paper is as biodegradable as human waste, unless in these countries they have some sort of plastic paper?

Anyway, it was too primitive for me, so it all went the same way - and this was a 4star hotel on Crete last week!

Incidentally, as we left, we counted 6 motorhomes going in the opposite direction. Post hoc, propter hoc??

Please do not do it. They know thw problems they have unblocking the system and i have seen it many times.

As I understand the problem it is the small diameter of the old pipes from the loos to the main sewer that is the problem, especially when a user puts wads of paper in, or even a tampax or other towel, and everything backs up

Geoff

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Please do not do it. They know thw problems they have unblocking the system and i have seen it many times.

As I understand the problem it is the small diameter of the old pipes from the loos to the main sewer that is the problem, especially when a user puts wads of paper in, or even a tampax or other towel, and everything backs up

Geoff
I am sure you are right. However this was a very new hotel , so why not use modern pipes. Was it laziness, cost saving or simply “that’s always the way we have done it”?

Anyway, I use minimal paper and then wash, seems far more hygienic!

I can understand not disposing of bulky items such as tampons or nappies down there; we shouldn’t do it anywhere.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
However this was a very new hotel , so why not use modern pipes{?}
It’ll be the whole sewage pipe network that is at a small diameter.
Though as a new build maybe they could’ve added a trap or tank. 🤔
Our Crete holiday was “paper in bin” type of arrangement. It was changed daily.
Only issue was at check in we got to our room & went straight back to the receptionist for a “please finish the house cleaning” type conversation 😒

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So where are they all dumping…🤔
Quite possibly not using the toilets. When i was in greece last year none of the people i met/spoke to used the onboard toilet. Most were bagging and binning or burrying. No disposal points anywhere.

It was the deciding factor in me not fitting a cassette toilet in the vario build.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Every hotel holiday ive had on greek islands has been the same no paper down the toilet ...ok in the rooms but the public bathrooms i noticed the bins rarely got used so im guessing most of the guests ignored it

Probably causing no end of problems

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back