Strange request on arrival at campsite! (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
This was certainly a first. We arrived at Long Meadows Campsite at 1 pm today and the first question was name, second was to check that we’d done the Covid forms but the third left us flabbergasted! Can we check your toilet please?

I must have looked rather shocked as the lady went onto explain that they had to check that we had proper facilities as some people were lying and then dumping bags of poo in the hedge. I said they were welcome to look but ours was a fancy conversion with toilet plus shower! I think Ian Hartley might be offended.
Our van is 18 months old and spotless. Nick and I aren’t too shabby either. I could understand it if we’d turned up in an old rusty transit but really, anyhow she changed her mind. She would have been welcome provided she’d put a mask on and used sanitiser.

It’s lovely here by the way.

Our van is an IH630RD in case anyone is confused by the Ian Hartley comment, he is the converter, I thought I’d better add an edit!

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
There might be more of that at the ports and the Chunnel this year looking for hiding places for milk and bacon for the following mornings breakfast 🤔🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
We have stayed at Long Meadow many time and always found the various managers pleasant and accommodating. The toilets and showers immaculate although not in use at the moment.
I am pleased to hear that the lady was “ on the ball “, it was not so at Denny Wood in the forest, a few tenters around the perimeter tucked away in the trees with no sign of a “ loo “ tent.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
This was certainly a first. We arrived at Long Meadows Campsite at 1 pm today and the first question was name, second was to check that we’d done the Covid forms but the third left us flabbergasted! Can we check your toilet please?
We are just up the road from you on Ocknell and had no checks.

Can I ask, what are Covid forms?

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Looks OK to me
0_CB_LSA_DogPooBagTree_03.jpg

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are just up the road from you on Ocknell and had no checks.

Can I ask, what are Covid forms?
It was online, we had to do one each, it had to be done today and asked about fever, cough, loss of sense of taste/ smell or foreign travel in the last 14 days. You had to answer no to them all obviously. I know people could lie but maybe it will make a few people stop and think for a moment. Good luck to them.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Flabbergasted and looking rather shocked...really?
Came across a woman squatting in the middle of a National Path. She scurried back to a brand new VW California.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We’re here until Thursday. We thought it looked nice when we were on the Showground last September at the event that Wombles got the discount for.
We thought the same - even better if Watling Street Food is at Long Meadow again for yummy freshly made pizza so no washing up :)

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We thought the same - even better if Watling Street Food is at Long Meadow again for yummy freshly made pizza so no washing up :)
I don’t know what I did with the previous post but the van is here and it’s been extended and there’s a tent as well. They do breakfasts at weekends so Nick is trying it tomorrow so I will report back. I think we might try it tonight as this evening is the warmest. I have been vegan since Christmas with Mike but I don’t think I can resist pizza!

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We have stayed at Long Meadow many time and always found the various managers pleasant and accommodating. The toilets and showers immaculate although not in use at the moment.
I am pleased to hear that the lady was “ on the ball “, it was not so at Denny Wood in the forest, a few tenters around the perimeter tucked away in the trees with no sign of a “ loo “ tent.
Probably had shovels

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I don't understand why all these sites are keeping their toilets closed. The regulations clearly state that toilets and washing facilities can remain open. In line with pub toilets and public toilet facilities. It is only shared use showers that have to remain closed currently.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
I don't understand why all these sites are keeping their toilets closed. The regulations clearly state that toilets and washing facilities can remain open. In line with pub toilets and public toilet facilities. It is only shared use showers that have to remain closed currently.
Yeah. I went to the pub next door this afternoon and used there toilet. Not allowed to use ashurst site ones though :ROFLMAO:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Perhaps they don’t want to incur extra Cleaning costs. However Long Meadow seemed to have increased their prices from what we paid last Summer.
There is still a VAT reduction in place so should be cheaper. At least the CMC pass this reduction on and keep all facilities apart from showers open.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I may be wrong but I understand that there are certain types of folk who spend most of their lives moving around in their caravans and increasingly, their motorhomes (and preemptively cutting off further discussion on the topic, ownership for some might be based on possession rather than minor technicalities such as official paperwork). Some of these 'vans have loos etc. which are never used as it is regarded as disgusting to sh1t in one's' van so the I wonder if the campsite warden was checking if your smart motorhome's loo was usable and had any signs of use... Such as bog roll on the holder and water in the cistern... If there wasn't, I wonder if plan B would be initiated to monitor the arrival of their friends and families... 'Cos it costs our local council thousands of pounds to clear up after sports fields etc are camped on and bushes used as loos.

Or I could be talking absolute cr@p and the rules stated that every vehicle had to be checked to avoid discriminating against those of us with older 'vans.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Our van is 18 months old and spotless. Nick and I aren’t too shabby either. I could understand it if we’d turned up in an old rusty transit but really, anyhow she changed her mind.
Ever heard the phrase 'fur coat and no knickers'? Appearance is no guide to how people behave.

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My thread was started as a bit of light hearted fun, some people really do take themselves too seriously. The warden and I had a lovely laugh. She was doing her job. Unfortunately part of her job is clearing up after people whose behaviour is absolutely disgusting.

Most funsters realised my post was a bit tongue in cheek, especially the ones who know me, yes we were a bit surprised but I don’t blame them one bit I’m sad to say.

We are having a great time. Look at these pizzas Wombles . I did remove some of the rocket as it’s a bit strong for me. Nick had a bacon and sausage butty
BD6EED96-91F1-47AA-BCD5-5880E27AE195.jpeg
for brekkie. We’re about to have afternoon tea after our walk. This motorhoming lark is great.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
My thread was started as a bit of light hearted fun, some people really do take themselves too seriously. The warden and I had a lovely laugh. She was doing her job. Unfortunately part of her job is clearing up after people whose behaviour is absolutely disgusting.

Most funsters realised my post was a bit tongue in cheek, especially the ones who know me, yes we were a bit surprised but I don’t blame them one bit I’m sad to say.

We are having a great time. Look at these pizzas Wombles . I did remove some of the rocket as it’s a bit strong for me. Nick had a bacon and sausage butty View attachment 489178for brekkie. We’re about to have afternoon tea after our walk. This motorhoming lark is great.
Yum - definitely having a couple of those again when we are at the Showground in a few weeks time! Hope we have as good weather as you - sounds like you are having a lovely time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back