Strange question from a stranger (1 Viewer)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Yesterday someone knocked on the door and asked, straight out, if the MH was for sale.
Annie said "No, absolutely not!"

There were no preliminaries or introductions, no pleasantries or interest in the MH, just "Is the MH for sale?"
His only comment was: "I export them"

Has anyone had this happen?
Why would anybody 'export' a van from the UK - almost all are right-hand-drive.
Was this a means of getting a foot in the door and maybe checking out our home?
It just seemed strange.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Yes def check your alarm is working

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
George Dixon would have called it casing the joint.

Apart from the obvious security precautions, turn your steering wheel to full lock one way or the other, padlock the steering wheel tightly to the inside door handle and leave it in reverse. Secure your inside passenger door handle to the armrest or similar. Makes towing it away very difficult. I do that whenever ours is at home regardless of whether or not dodgy callers have been around - it's usually kept in storage.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As others have said, pay special attention to your security, both M/H and household.
If you have any details about the person who called, particularly the reg. no. of their vehicle I would be inclined to report it to your Neighbourhood Police Team.

Richard.

Ring them up on the non-urgent number (101) anyway - someone else may already have provided vehicle information. I used this number when I spotted some unusual activity around my remote rural workplace, and they were happy to log the details for future reference.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Maybe he just wanted to buy it :)
We were regularly asked to sell our old van, sometimes by travellers, and eventually sold it to a bloke who pulled up in his car and showed us thousands of pounds in cash!
The easiest sale ever (y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If this happens to you ask them to wait - close door - go get your phone - come back and take a photo of him/her and car details if seen. If they ask why you are taking photo tell them your other half is a law enforcement officer ( your not saying police ), this should make them run a mile or two.

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
As others have said, pay special attention to your security, both M/H and household.
If you have any details about the person who called, particularly the reg. no. of their vehicle I would be inclined to report it to your Neighbourhood Police Team.

Richard.
I missed the reg no unfortunately - his car was an old Corsa type.

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We were regularly asked to sell our old van, sometimes by travellers, and eventually sold it to a bloke who pulled up in his car and showed us thousands of pounds in cash!
Our van is not everybodies favourite. Looks a bit 'strange' to some:)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I sold my last van to three Irish gentlemen in a Transit. They too turned up with pound notes. A very easy sale.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Were the notes still wet?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A really good tip here (y)

Q. Is the van for sale ?

A.

I really wish it were But .:cry:
I'm sueing the dealer
Its the subject of a court case, Cos the floor has rotted out, the engine is knocking and turns out its a cat D wright off
They wont bother you any more :LOL:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have had one traveller calling at my home for the last 6 years. Still wants my van.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Better have a look on your gateposts and the footpath outside for innocent looking chalk marks....you may have been targeted for losing your van.
Vans may be stolen to order and the chalk marks indicate to the actual 'removal' gang the van is a likely candidate.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Our van is not everybodies favourite. Looks a bit 'strange' to some:)
Your van would be heaven to him as it would be "free" and better than his old corsa ! Defiantly report it so neighbourhood watch areas can be warned! Beef up security if you can.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Having dealt with persons of the 'travelling persuasion' for many years, it maybe totally innocent. Whilst I accept it may be that if you refuse a sale, there are those who will just nick the van. I would say the vast majority are in fact trying to get a bargain before anyone else gets a look in!
Whilst it is a good idea to beef up your security, personally, I would have taken some contact details, he may still be interested in the future, and they ALWAYS use cash, not saying that they aren't VAT or tax registered, that would be totally wrong of me :D

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Evidently a waste of time these days.
There was an article somewhere just this week stating the majority of 101 calls go unanswered.

They may not send anyone to speak to you in person but you can still log details on their system if they pick the phone up at the other end.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They may not send anyone to speak to you in person but you can still log details on their system if they pick the phone up at the other end.

As i said.....phone just rings without being answered at all.

Head honcho promised to look into the complaints.

Could have been north yorks police only.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back