On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
After spending the day cleaning and polishing my roof which came up lovely
20170829_133343.jpg

As it was dry I thought I'd start polishing the rest of the bodywork, the near side ( rh drive non hab side) was considerably duller than the rest so I thought I'd start with that side..... Problem is it just won't shine up it seems really flat.... The other side that has the hab door, awning etc definitely has a shinier finish as does the back but the near side is flat and dull and no matter how much I try to get a shine on it... It's not happening

Now I thought maybe it's been bleached by the sun but surely it couldn't only affect the one side and no where else.... Or could it?
Even the roof took a bit of a shine

The van is grp as far as I know

Anyone else have the same issues?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What are you using..? Try a good wax if your using a polish...

You could get a lot of solar up there....:D2

Nice van...(y)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What are you using..? Try a good wax if your using a polish...

You could get a lot of solar up there....:D2

Nice van...(y)
I was using autoglym super resin Polish as it usually gives fantastic results, I did try a little t cut on a patch but it did nothing :(

Yeah I'm looking in to replacing the current solar as I think it's knackered, I'd like to fit a couple of 100watt panels in its place
I'm just deciding if confident enough to do it myself or not.... Nervous about holes in roof

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I was using autoglym super resin Polish as it usually gives fantastic results, I did try a little t cut on a patch but it did nothing :(

Yeah I'm looking in to replacing the current solar as I think it's knackered, I'd like to fit a couple of 100watt panels in its place
I'm just deciding if confident enough to do it myself or not.... Nervous about holes in roof
Can't you just stick the panels down and use existing holes currently used for solar panels

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

You may need a more aggressive cut than Autoglym. I was put onto Colonite by our resident detailer on here rather than Tcut.
As for solar I have just put 300 watts on our roof stuck down with Sycaflex 512 as per hundreds of recommendations on here. (y)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Can't you just stick the panels down and use existing holes currently used for solar panels
To be honest I'm unsure, I'm a solar novice the current ones were fitted by previous owner and are screwed to the roof, I've already found two screw holes he's left open that I need to seal. I wasnt sure if new panels could be just stuck on or if they have to be screwed, obviously I'd hope to use the existing hole to route the cables inside the van although Im not overly impressed how he has done that either so I'd be looking to protect that more also

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You may need a more aggressive cut than Autoglym. I was put onto Colonite by our resident detailer on here rather than Tcut.
As for solar I have just put 300 watts on our roof stuck down with Sycaflex 512 as per hundreds of recommendations on here. (y)
I'm just a little cautious of over cutting the paint as I don't think it's the thickest.

Good info on the panels, I know sikaflex is good stuff I've used it in the past for spoilers etc

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Incidentally where did you buy your panels? I've found a few kits on eBay around £140 for a 100watt plus digital controller etc which I thought was a good price

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Have you got some padding on the ladders where they touch the van, you will mark it/damage it otherwise.

I'm with you CP! that ladder needs padding, you can't polish out a dent no matter how hard you try, and metal on metal? lean to far the wrong way and you'll be "slip sliding away" and Simon & Garfunkle will be nowhere in sight!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm with you CP! that ladder needs padding, you can't polish out a dent no matter how hard you try, and metal on metal? lean to far the wrong way and you'll be "slip sliding away" and Simon & Garfunkle will be nowhere in sight!
Quality German build no dents in sight couldn't protect the ladder till I got up there but didn't leave any marks

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I sell a GRP polish on ebay, it worked well on our frankia.
I also sell a resin wax to use once the surface is restored.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
To be honest I'm unsure, I'm a solar novice the current ones were fitted by previous owner and are screwed to the roof, I've already found two screw holes he's left open that I need to seal. I wasnt sure if new panels could be just stuck on or if they have to be screwed, obviously I'd hope to use the existing hole to route the cables inside the van although Im not overly impressed how he has done that either so I'd be looking to protect that more also
https://sikaflexit.wordpress.com/20...ll-a-solar-panel-to-the-roof-of-your-caravan/
Read further down gives some answers to customer question, makes informative reading

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Nice neighbours in your crescent.
Great neighbours in this street my mum's lived here 73 years born in this house

Of course... The guy up the street could have refrained from putting his mattresses in my picture view the selfish sod... But don't think they fit in his car :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You should never use T cut on GRP and I'm not sure about the Autoglym you are using as you must not use any polish with silicon in it on GRP. To polish and get rid of oxidation you need to use a specalist GRP polish from someone like 3M or Starbright and then wax with collinite 476s.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You should never use T cut on GRP and I'm not sure about the Autoglym you are using as you must not use any polish with silicon in it on GRP. To polish and get rid of oxidation you need to use a specalist GRP polish from someone like 3M or Starbright and then wax with collinite 476s.
Yes I've just learned that
But I've ordered stuff from @jezport now that's designed for GRP so hopefully that will work

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have put pipe insulation on my ladder, held on with cable ties, prevents damage and stops metal on metal slipping.
To be honest it's not my ladder I borrowed it from a neighbour this morning to do this job after my attempts at accessing the roof through the sunroof failed :p

Didn't want to do anything to his ladder as not my property, but it was well dug in to the very deep chips in the drive and hasn't left any marks so think I got away with it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back