Strange goings on at CandMC site (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So here we have an aire where the Vans are in regimented rows, packed in close together with hardly any space between them...and yet, how many on this forum are always saying that they won't use campsites for the exact same reasons??? :unsure:
Not us, we use aires etc but wouldn't use those as they are just too tightly packed together, we do have some standards don't ya know! :giggle: The reason we don't use campsites isn't just down to cost, some aren't expensive, but we just like the freedom of not having to use them.

Yes but these are the people who are too tight to pay.There can be no other reason
Not necessarily, there may be something in the vicinity that they wanted to visit, a festival or something, or it's just a night stop en-route to somewhere else, not everyone uses them purely because they are 'tight'.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK, to stop the debate over left \ right of the peg let's just petition the club to move the peg so you have to line up the centre of the unit with the peg and make it much harder for the majority of members to correctly position on the pitch. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Funny
Reactions: DBK

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
No, I am just going on the close proximity of the vans to each other and lack of space to chill out. Not my idea of getting away from it all.
We generally use a variety of stops and really like some space to park and chill out. That's why we often choose a campsite. However, Grau is lovely for a couple of nights. It's overlooking a beautiful beach, there's a good cycle path along the front, there's decent bars and restaurants, in both directions and you can get a drink overlooking the marina. On one morning, I think it's Friday, there's an excellent market.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I booked on to a CMC site yesterday and was given a list of spare pitches to choose from by the warden. . Bloke in the queue behind said we couldnt have Pitch 20 as they had already looked round the site and picked that one. I was tempted.......
How on earth did you resist! 👍

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I thought that was what motor movers were invented for
In all honesty if you need a motormover to park in most pitches you shouldn't be towing a caravan in the first place.
We had to have ours to get the van up & down our drive but neither of us needed it to park up on a pitch.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
CAMC are fine, sometimes its about knowing the rules and not getting offended when its pointed out that they would like you to do X or Y

I recently stayed at one CAMC site, as we did not wish to shop/pub/restaurant/cafe we needed to take two weeks food so I purchased a 38 litre Dometic box freezer. I did not want it in the MoHo when parked up so placed it under the awning which was fine, but it seems there is a by law...again to protect the public

I used a Power splitter, it has a CE mark seems totally legal in terms of manufactured quality, however CAMC warden said one cable to one point, it could potentially overload the outlet (I don't think so). and they had not tested the splitter and could not garuntee its quality even with a CE mark, I explained the freezer had two weeks of food, asked if there was a second out let as I would happliy plug in to (a second one did not exist and if it did it would be £8 per night). I was then told I could use a cable from the MoHo to power the freezer (so much for overloading the power supply)

I think as I was polite and non confrontational the warden 'let' me keep the splitter in, I have checked the CAMC web site and can find no obvious reg saying a splitter cannot be used, I guess I need to email and ask.
This a fairly new rule, well about two years old now. We fell foul of it on one CMHC site because having just returned from France, we only had a cable drum and a short connector. The male warden noticed it and then the female warden told us we couldn’t use it as the rule is one cable from bollard to van. So for the next two nights we had no EHU. I think the wardens must have been in the pub that night when I was talking about it and said that as the wardens were so keen on the rules, I would be sending a photo of their compound to HQ. There were 2 caravans in there, both apparently being slept in, about 2 metres apart. The next day, one had been moved to be at right angles to the other but still not 6 metres apart. People in glasshouses.........

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
In all honesty if you need a motormover to park in most pitches you shouldn't be towing a caravan in the first place.
We had to have ours to get the van up & down our drive but neither of us needed it to park up on a pitch.
It was just a tad difficult getting onto this pitch nose in whilst towing with the car and I ain't manhandling one and three quarters of a tonne of twin axle caravan so mover on, positioned in a couple of minutes. Steep drop at other side of the barrier. As you can see the dug wisnae happy as he wanted us the other way around!:rolleyes:

1619417234816.png

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
OK, to stop the debate over left \ right of the peg let's just petition the club to move the peg so you have to line up the centre of the unit with the peg and make it much harder for the majority of members to correctly position on the pitch. (y)
They are trialling a new way at Chatsworth. There are two pegs and you park anywhere in-between these pegs. If it is successful then they will use it on other sites. The warden said it is a better method and much easier for everyone.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
It was just a tad difficult getting onto this pitch nose in whilst towing with the car and I ain't manhandling one and three quarters of a tonne of twin axle caravan so mover on, positioned in a couple of minutes. Steep drop at other side of the barrier. As you can see the dug wisnae happy as he wanted us the other way around!:rolleyes:

View attachment 489388
Well nose in is an exception.
Your dog looks like he's wondering when his humans are going to stop larking about.... ;)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Your dog looks like he's wondering when his humans are going to stop larking about.... ;)
Naw, we never even bought an awning! aka divorce in a bag. :rolleyes:
He did come around to our way of thinking, eventually!

1619425453419.png

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we stayed a Rudeshiem the site warden told us exactly were to park and stood and directed me on to the pitch. She turned us round so our door was away from the naibors door. At the time I thought she was a bit bossy but we were within reach of the electric and water points and we had an uninterrupted view of the Rhine. Before she left us she said parking is perfect yes?. I didn’t argue she was a big lady.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This a fairly new rule, well about two years old now. We fell foul of it on one CMHC site because having just returned from France, we only had a cable drum and a short connector. The male warden noticed it and then the female warden told us we couldn’t use it as the rule is one cable from bollard to van. So for the next two nights we had no EHU. I think the wardens must have been in the pub that night when I was talking about it and said that as the wardens were so keen on the rules, I would be sending a photo of their compound to HQ. There were 2 caravans in there, both apparently being slept in, about 2 metres apart. The next day, one had been moved to be at right angles to the other but still not 6 metres apart. People in glasshouses.........
Agree with you, there is perceived safety and actual safety, if the draw on the mains was too high the system will trip, if the Y adapter was compromised the system would trip the Y adapter had CE markings and the cables I was using was all good so really do not understand the rule. But I guess I am at their property so just have to go with the flow really.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I have noticed this at several sites.

Jul 26, 2012
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For over 50 years
Just arrived back home after 6 night at the Hereford C&CC. Wonderful and helpful stewards and the site is excellent. Will go there again and very soon.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
We arrived on site on Saturday and at check-in the assistant warden warned us about parking correctly to the marker post , adding the warden is a bit of a stickler for the rules. OK that doesn’t phase me - been here many times before. We pitched up and noticed that they have a metal marker in the ground next to the peg which I though was unusual. So later in the day the assistant warden is out with a measuring template and we watched as he moved the peg to Exactly the correct position then spray painted the metal marker in hi viz paint and stuck the peg back in . This was on an empty pitch . Then he calmly walked round the back of our Moho and although we couldn’t see exactly what he was doing we assumed he was just painting it all as before , but after he moved on I went out to see for myself. Couldn’t believe it , he’s moved the peg about 18” nearer to the pitch edge and painted it all , leaving us in technically the wrong position !
I’m still waiting for him to come and ask us to move nearer the peg ( it’s regulations you know ) whereupon I shall be spoiling his day . 👍
Typical of the little Hitlers of wardens that operate on both some of the C&CC. & C&MC Club sites, that’s why so many members won’t stay on them along with the exorbitant site fees in high season.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Typical of the little Hitlers of wardens that operate on both some of the C&CC. & C&MC Club sites, that’s why so many members won’t stay on them along with the exorbitant site fees in high season.
We've definitely found that the wardens in the C&MC Club sites are much more human these days. We are members and we do use the sites. In all the time we've been members, we've never encountered a little Hitler.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Just returned from a pub site we cycled past Great Yarmouth C&MC Site last week 6 units in - today 8
The pub we left has had 5-6 units all week they serve GREAT FOOD and are inexpensive

Guess what the site wardens visit this pub too
Hmmmm wonder why ...............................

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just out of interest, what normally happens about units that have their doors on the right hand side, continental style.
I don't know if it is still the case but one large site in Somerset doesn't allow them.
Yes but these are the people who are too tight to pay.There can be no other reason
Or cannot afford the rate they charge is also another reason. Not that I¡d ever consider using anywhere within 50m of another vehicle unless a layby.
& why is there a 'pitch charge' followed by a charge 'per person' ? What would they do if you said no one is staying in it so I'll pay the pitch charge only?
No, I am just going on the close proximity of the vans to each other and lack of space to chill out. Not my idea of getting away from it all.
You can't chill out ,it's an aire no tables & other tat allowed outside usually.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don't know if it is still the case but one large site in Somerset doesn't allow them.

Or cannot afford the rate they charge is also another reason. Not that I¡d ever consider using anywhere within 50m of another vehicle unless a layby.
& why is there a 'pitch charge' followed by a charge 'per person' ? What would they do if you said no one is staying in it so I'll pay the pitch charge only?

You can't chill out ,it's an aire no tables & other tat allowed outside usually.
If only one person in the van not fair to be charged the same rate as for two .

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've definitely found that the wardens in the C&MC Club sites are much more human these days. We are members and we do use the sites. In all the time we've been members, we've never encountered a little Hitler.
Sssssssssush! Stop trying to defend the Club! :rolleyes: The more damning comments that are circulated the more space for those who enjoy using the sites!(y);) Just wait 'til they put so many folk off using sites that there's no "freeloading":whistle2::imoutahere:space left!:eek:;):giggle: It'll be all those ex Club members fault!:giggle:

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We use CAMC more so than CACC just because I find the online booking system clearer and easier to use. Never used a British van only continental vans with the door on the side which doesn’t suit the layout of the pitch but as there’s usually a lot of space as we request awning sites and don’t have an awning it makes no difference.
Never been asked to park a different way to accommodate doors not facing each other.

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
We’ve been to lots of CAMC sites and mostly these days they say park either way round as long as the driver side rear or passenger side front line up near-ish to the peg. Having said that we’ve just been to Bladon Chains and one unit near us parked completely the wrong side of the peg for 3 nights and nothing was said.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back