Stowford Caravans South Wales (STAY AWAY FROM STOWFORDS READ MY THREAD) | MotorhomeFun | The Motorhome Support and Social Network

Stowford Caravans South Wales (STAY AWAY FROM STOWFORDS READ MY THREAD)

OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Bargoed, North Of Cardiff.
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018
Well 5 months on and only two trips away since Covid on our first trip I found out the alternator wasn’t working anyway.

Through working Monday to Friday and the solar panel putting charge back in the battery I waited for a fix And had a 2nd trip away, same issue no change from the alternator so.........

Phoned Stowford and they said use your warranty use any RAC garage so I started calling local approved garages and none around me would touch the MoHo due to 25ft long so.......

Called RAC warranties and they could not find us on their systems anywhere so another call to Stowfords.

On this 2nd call the girl said “I remember this van now we could not put a warranty on it as it’s just over 10 years old and the online systems would not let us but I have emailed the local warranty rep and await his reply” again ummmmmm.

But they said take it to a local bus company they deal with they do all our work so I had no choice and drive it their. The bus chap was one arrogant dick and questioned my knowledge when I said it’s the alternator or earthing issues he said how did you test it, with my battery tester which he laughed.

Now my tester is £200 worth tests battery, earth, and alternator input at 2,000 and 3,000rpm and it said alternator or belts.

Bus chap said “We will soon see I’ll get my tester don’t make these anymore and gets his 30 plus years tester out and low and behold he said Batteries ok lol.

Now that was Yesterday and Stowfords said they will look at it and let me know the same day the outcome specially because we are away next week.

So, poor service from Stowfords regarding no warranty and the bus company for taking the piss.

Now, if or when they fix it what do you think is a suitable outcome is regarding the warranty as it was sold with 6 warranty RAC cover.

Regards.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Owning my own a newbie
Cf46 5RT try Dave at Acorn sound guy recently opened to the public he will be doing my MOT when its due.
I don't know about warrantee work but he's 20 minutes from you

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Owning my own a newbie
are they blue or white PM me
The problem is many fitters assume that people know nothing I had a discussion with a Peugeot sales man when you could buy a new Ford for £6000 was going to buy a £20,000 car in cash and he suggested I check with my husband, then my father, about 2 weeks later I was at VOLVO Truck he and his boss came out for a ciggy he pointed me out to his boss who came over 'for a friendly chat' asked me why I didn't buy the car and would I like another look my response was no thanks I bought a Renault 20 minutes after leaving here and no I did not ask my daddy's permission to spend my money. But he did save me £12,000 as I saw sense and bought the same size diesel engine in a smaller car.
I was told that the salesman wasn't working for them not long after.

Last edited:
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
Well I’m disgusted and in two minds to call trading standards.

First off admitted selling me the van without RAC warranty and now just collected van they said all done come and collect it well, drove it home and still nothing going into battery, the only charge it’s getting is from the solar panel.

Plus my £1000 radio is not working, had no 12v and if this is the type of repairs Stowford uses stay away for god sake.

Me and misses off for a week Saturday in the van hence the urgency to get the alternator fixed under warranty or as I call it bogger bus company.

Now I’m stuck between a rock and a bigger rock as I’m in work tomorrow all day, no time to take it back, no time to fix and I’m 100% cheesed off.

So that’s time my time wasted.
Bus company had it since Saturday.
Collected this afternoon after they said all done with new alternator.
Lost 12v in the van.
£1000 radio not working.
Positive battery terminal loose.

Off Saturday, no time to fix, Can’t get tomorrow off work..... haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
Well took van back they said all’s ok alternator working but they would not touch radio or internal 12v.

So, took van back home, took out every fuse and tested and 12v started working but not the radio so removed the radio to test, pulled plug out tested fuse ok and replaced plug and radio started working, crazy.

Anyway still slow sluggish starting and just drove 5hrs and stopped half way, drove with headlights on part way and at half way parked up, turned key off and guess what....... battery flat as hell. So did what we needed and waited ti the solar panel put some charge back in and it did start with a struggle.

So now we have 7 days parked up and have the 5hr drive home with something not quite right but the Motorhome company and the bus company saying everything’s ok it just needs a good run, well it’s had a bloody good run and still as I’ve said before it’s not fixed.

Getting to the point I’m tempted to take it back and ask for my money back plus the cost of additions I’ve paid out.

Fuming now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
And on top of all the above I’ve stepped out of the MoHo and turned my tight ankle and my foot is now three times the normal size, holiday what holiday.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
5+ years
Oh dear, things could be worse, just grin and bare it. The ankle will mend and you just need to charge your battery up to full spec. Don't just rely on the solar. (y)

Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Sounds like your having a bad time, these stories are not rare with even new vans a lot of after sales service is shite to say the least, more bad stories than good,maybe get your local auto electrician to check out the charging system if you are not confident your self and get a written report,
Or go for a full refund!

OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
It’s not the battery they are both ok charging and holding it’s charge just fine, the issue is with the alternator.

They said they changed it for a new 140amp version but on a run with lights on the main battery goes flat so in my mind it’s a earthing issue.

Oct 2, 2008
J10 M40
Funster No
MH
Bucher Duro 6x6 motorhome
Exp
since 1968
Better going to auto electrician as most mechanics aren't up to speed on lecky FME .

OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
They said they have had an auto electrician look at it and tested the alternator and said voltage output is ok, naaaaaaaaa.

Needs 16v to 18v tow keep a 3ltr engine battery fully charged.

OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
Well vans gone back in today same issue as before 2hrs into a 6hr drive and van fails to start battery flat so waited for the solar panel to but a bit of charge back in and it starts ok.

Took van back 2nd time now and they now say the radio is wired wrong because it turns on without any ignition on plus they say the leisure battery is wired wrong because their auto electrician says something is taking the charge out of the battery.

Me I find all this all excuses and again they fail to fix it.

Me I’m thinking that not enough charge is going into the main battery and even the bus company said it’s all ok 12.4v coming from the alternator that’s enough no it should be at least 14v to 18v at least.

While I’m driving I use the radio, side lights etc and the battery is not getting enough charge from the alternator hence why it’s going flat so it’s not right.

Called Stowfords back and they initially said you don’t have any warranty I said yes I do it runs out 20th next month so they changed there minds again and decided to book us in for a diagnosis 9th Sept, 11 days left on the warranty and 2 days before a week away.

Been in contact with Citizens Advice and they said I have to prove the vans faulty, offer them the opportunity to fix it (they have twice) and then if we’re not happy reject it, plus because I paid £1000 via credit card I’m covered under section 75 so my card company is also liable.

So what next cos I’ve had enough.

Any local to me auto electrician mobile here willing to take a look?

Aug 18, 2014
Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
6 years since restarting
said it’s all ok 12.4v coming from the alternator that’s enough no it should be at least 14v to
If that is what the reading is that is the battery voltage. As you say alternator should be 14.4 ishvolts.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
who are Stowfords getting to look at it? maybe you could suggest Glenside commercials at Bedwas. they are FIAT Proffesional and have a good reputation as far as i know .

Alternatively A1 diagnostics Cardiff.

OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
Voltage on crack should be more than what the battery is but it’s only showing 12.4v on crank.

Stowfords said they need an hour to do a diagnostic test that’s all and apart from that it’s been all at the bus company in the Rhonda.

who are Stowfords getting to look at it? maybe you could suggest Glenside commercials at Bedwas. they are FIAT Proffesional and have a good reputation as far as i know .

OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
I’ve contacted an Auto electrician who’s coming out on the 10th to diagnose and fix and I’ll bung them the bloody bill.

OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
Auto electrician came, checked van and as suspected fitted a new earth strap and the charging voltage shot in to over 14v.

So all along as I’ve said it was an earth issue and I’ll be giving the bill to Stowfords.

And if anyone is looking for a quality mobile auto electrician in South Wales I cannot recommend the following chap enough.

autolectrix at gmail.com
w.w.w.autolectrix.co.uk
Caerphilly.

Mr Neal Canterbury

Knows his way around a Motorhome.

Last edited:
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
West Country Motorhomes