Stowaway ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph`s been under the motorhome again, to look at his rusty engine bit .

This time he found something else......Broken Link Removed:Eeek:

We have checked inside and there is no evidence that we have been invaded. PHEW !
It could be down to the fact we empty the motorhome after each weekend away and give it a good hoover and clean.
Or just luck.
We think its a field mouse , or vole , what do you lot think ?
Could it be a bird ?

We have not used it for 3 weeks , its been in storage due to Ralph building a substation up in Hartlepool.
Once back from Eden camp this weekend i think we shall ask to be moved from our nice roomy pitch , at the edge of the storage place . To a nice central spot next to some other vehicles that might have more tempting smells inside.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ralph`s been under the motorhome again, to look at his rusty engine bit .

This time he found something else......View attachment 12080:Eeek:

We have checked inside and there is no evidence that we have been invaded. PHEW !
It could be down to the fact we empty the motorhome after each weekend away and give it a good hoover and clean.
Or just luck.
We think its a field mouse , or vole , what do you lot think ?
Could it be a bird ?

We have not used it for 3 weeks , its been in storage due to Ralph building a substation up in Hartlepool.
Once back from Eden camp this weekend i think we shall ask to be moved from our nice roomy pitch , at the edge of the storage place . To a nice central spot next to some other vehicles that might have more tempting smells inside.

you need a cat :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
could quite possibly be a bird, we had a robin trying to make a nest behind one of the wheels on mums car, because it isnt used much last year. It was lucky i spotted it while it was still building its nest and before it laid any eggs - as you cant move the nesting spot if eggs are laid i have been told, and it was only the fact i saw the bird taking stuff in there that we knew about it

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looks more like a bird's nest to me. I think mice tend to nest with a solid floor below them rather than at a height. I found one in our garage a few years ago, in a corner made out of chewed up plastic bags.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If its lined with moss chances are its a bird. Blue tit, robin or even a chaffinch. Definitely not a vermin as earlier post said:thumb:

We've had a cock chaffinch attacking himself in the wing mirrors of our cars for the last week. Have put covers over em to stop him doing himself an injury.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
:thumb:Oh good , 4/1 bird so far .
Id rather it be a birds nest than a mouse nest.
We dont think there is anything inside it , so we shall leave it in situ over the weekend. See what anyone else thinks , before deciding weather to remove it or not.
We wont be letting nesting birds stop up from getting out and about , over the next few weeks , if it wants to hitch a ride then so be it .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Best to remove it before it lays any eggs?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Seriously, it is illegal to disturb certain birds when they are nesting and have eggs, so if theres nothing inside, get rid quickly before it does. A local garage was unable to sell a van for about 6 weeks a couple of years ago as a bird decided to nest under the bonnet. The garage had a buyer lined up, but it fell through when they found out about the law after submitting a photo to the local paper.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would attend to the matter without delay. As mentioned, it is an offence to remove an active nest, or to deny an adult bird access to the nest. There are a few exceptions such as feral pigeons, but what you have is certainly not in the allowable category.

Broken Link Removed

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Over the top IMHO !!!!

Just think of it as bloody PC....Think Greece...a delicious meal !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was going to put hard hats on, but pressed the wrong tit..as usual !!!

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Lookin at the piccy it is something like a wren cos they use moss an enter at top like yours, don`t use it for a couple of months an keep taking photos, better still get hilda down with his camera he is always lookin for summat to wile away the time:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Looks like a borrowers Eco home:winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I think it's either a small tit (maybe a little blue tit or a coal tit), but it could very well be a Robin's nest as other funsters have suggested.

I was watching a Great Tit today (seriously!) and was amazed to see that he or she was catching large bumble bees and then eating them. Has anyone else heard of this?

He was pouncing on the bumble bee whilst it was on a heather, then minutes later pulling it to bits.:Sad:

Margaret

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
What would happen in the case of you needing to use the vehicle either to go to work or in an emergency? If it's breaking the law, what would happen if this was your only means to get to work, how understanding would your boss be when you explained why you wouldn't be turning up for work for several weeks:Doh:

Under normal circumstances we would never go near any nesting birds, but we just wondered if this were to be us, our nearest hospital is more than 38 miles away. We are in a rural area and the mh is our only vehicle.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Just pull it all out today........its a bird.You really do have to get rid of it soon.

barry

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I agre with the comments already posted but to help confirmation look on the floor beneath the nest for droppings, small pellets would mean a mouse/vole etc, brid droppings would confirm a feathered friend.

But either way it needs moving and fast.

Norman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back