Stoves DF500DIT Glass Hob Cover replacement (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
We don't quite understand how it happened but the glass top on our Stoves cooker exploded the other day whilst we were winterising the moho. Somehow the electric ring was turned on and the top put down and - KERBLAM! - when it goes it goes!! Fragments of glass the entire length of the van from front to back. Luckily, neither of us were on board at that precise moment.

No problem I thought - a certain online market place is bound to have a replacement or, if not, the wonder of the world wide web will provide. Except it hasn't so far, the closest I have got to finding a replacement being a "Sorry, your cooker is obsolete" which is news to the cooker (which performs admirably) and ourselves who have let it down.

So, two prongs to this post - firstly the model number of the stove is 444445105. Does anyone have a suggestion where I might find a new or secondhand replacement and secondly, has anyone replaced the glass with an alternative cover material (e.g. wood, metal etc) and if so how did they go about it?

Thanks for reading, have a nice day.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Lots of glass tops can be made at your local glass merchant,you just need a template .can be a lot cheaper than a manufacturers replacement (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
After reading about this happening to others, I have disconnected the electric hob on mine as it was rarely used and the other 3 gas rings quite sufficient. Since doing this, I have at least twice noticed the knob has been accidentally turned to on. Cooker opposite the washroom at the pinchpoint of the PVC so not a good design for our van.

OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Lots of glass tops can be made at your local glass merchant,you just need a template .can be a lot cheaper than a manufacturers replacement (y)
Thanks for that. It may come to that in the end or we may decide that glass is not the answer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
After reading about this happening to others, I have disconnected the electric hob on mine as it was rarely used and the other 3 gas rings quite sufficient. Since doing this, I have at least twice noticed the knob has been accidentally turned to on. Cooker opposite the washroom at the pinchpoint of the PVC so not a good design for our van.
Thanks and an idea worth considering although we normally use the leccy hob if we have a hook-up to save gas and so far (up until the exploding glass incident it has worked well).

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
There are some on the internet,but you need to sit down before you see the prices. :eek:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We broke the glass at the side of our cooker and had a replacement made in toughened glass by a local glass merchant - think from memory it cost around £45.

OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Have you tried https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ One solution I have seen is a replacement made from aluminium chequered plate.
ezee
Thanks for that. Interesting site but not much in the way of Stoves spares and some of what they have listed is labelled "discontinued" which seems to confirm the "obsolete" tag the cooker picked up early in the search. I'm increasingly leaning towards a removable hard cover that we'll just put over the hob when prepping food etc and give up on the replacement glass top.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks and an idea worth considering although we normally use the leccy hob if we have a hook-up to save gas and so far (up until the exploding glass incident it has worked well).
I felt the gas saving was minimal as we are not normally on EHU and so I forget to use it when we are. :giggle::giggle:ours is just a normal 240 household socket and plug but it is buried away under the cooker at the back and I cannot be bothered now to get down there and turn it on.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not sure were I saw it but I saw a replacement made from stainless steel It may have been a self made item but it would solve the issue of broken glass.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I replaced a shattered hob cover with aluminium plate. I bought a rectangle cut to size from the internet. I then rounded the corners with a jigsaw (metal blade) and a file. I drilled the holes for the hinge bolts, and a finger hole the right size for the rubber grommet that lined the finger hole. I was careful to buy plate the same thickness as the glass.

Aluminium is about the same density as glass, so the weight of the new cover is about the same as before. I don't remember where I got the plate, but I just picked one from the internet. For example

If you want a bit of glass to measure the thickness, and you've thrown all the bits away, don't worry too much. I was still finding bits of the glass in nooks and crannies years afterwards.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
5545EE0A-FE06-42FA-9198-5461E9FFC2D2.jpeg

OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
It's been a while but I thought I would tie this loose thread off. Despite continuing with sporadic searches for a replacement glass cover for the stove, we have had no joy in that respect. However, the co-pilot spotted something in Ikea and the end result is that we now have a wooden top that seems almost custom made for the stove. It stows alongside the stove when not in use and fits very neatly as cover when we need the extra work surface. The accompanying piccies tell the story . . .

Attachments

• IMG_5865.JPG
    IMG_5865.JPG
    327.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5861.JPG
    IMG_5861.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 53
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
getting a piece of glass cut and tempered isnt as expensive as you thinkwe had a double glazed unit for a patio door done with the cat flap hole in it was only just over a hundred pounds 3 years ago obviously much larger than your looking for.Cut a card or ply template

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It's been a while but I thought I would tie this loose thread off. Despite continuing with sporadic searches for a replacement glass cover for the stove, we have had no joy in that respect. However, the co-pilot spotted something in Ikea and the end result is that we now have a wooden top that seems almost custom made for the stove. It stows alongside the stove when not in use and fits very neatly as cover when we need the extra work surface. The accompanying piccies tell the story . . .
Thanks for a brilliant update

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back