Storm Just Damaged Our Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
So, I am sat here trying to sort out my credit rating ( http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ccj-equifax.120197/ ) problems. My Car that was on eBay I have had to pull the plug on the ad because it now has starting problems.

And to top it all, from the corner of my I see this huge piece of wood fly past the window and strike the side of the motorhome, alarm goes off and the wood has caused a dent in the cab door and body damage.

The wood just blew off the gable end of our the house!

I assume I claim from my Motorhome insurers?

I think as I am typing, our flight from Manchester Airport later is cancelled is at least delayed due to bad weather!.

I am thinking things will improve!.

Trev

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry to learn about your problems
If the peice of wood came from your house, then you're home insurer is probably liable, if not I'd speak to your vehicle insurer first
Regards
Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Who would bet the MH insurers say it's the house insurers problem and the house lot say no it's the MH insurers problem. Both say no and leave you in the sh*t.
All the best for sorting it out.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sincerely hope your luck improves

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Use whichever insurance policy carries the leased penalties.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Attachments

• row.jpg
    row.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 25

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Sorry to hear of the damage.

I'm not sure why your household insurance would pay for damage to the MH.

Your House insurance will have a liability section on it, which covers you for damage to third party property (and injury to,people who are not members of your family, however the term "family" may hav been defined in your policy).

For a third party to be able to claim from you ( and remember, insurance per se is never liable, you the individual is liable at law and the insurer simply stands in your stead with deep pockets) they have to prove that you were legally liable. That would generally arise from you being negligent in some way, or causing a nuisance, or have a statutory responsibility for the damage or injury.

So, in the example whereby a tile blows off your house and hits a third party or their property, unless you have been negligent in the maintenance of the house and could have foreseen that as a result of your failing to maintain the property damage or injury would arise, you would not be responsible for the consequences of the tile blowing off.

This would be the view your insurer would take if presented with a third party claim, although they may end up paying the third party on a "without prejudice" basis as the legal costs involved escalate so quickly it is often economic to pay to make the problem go away. This is a commercial decision of the insurer and not based in law.

So as its your house and your MH, no third party property has been damaged so the liability section of the household policy won't respond.

A claim should be presented to your MH insurer, assuming you have fully comprehensive cover, and they would deal with the issue of damage to the MH.

If they felt there was a way of getting anything back from your household insurer then they would pursue recovery of their outlay from your house insurer.

Your house insurer would pay for the damage to the house, under the Storm peril.

Sorry for long response, but rather than just post " MH insurer" thought it might be helpful to give a brief outline as to why it would be MH insurer and not your house insurer.

Good luck with it all!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I hope you get it fixed ok. Might be cheaper to just fork out rather than try the insurance route.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I feel you pain, my shed roof felt blew off last week in huge strips complete with wood trim and roof tacks attached.
It kindly landed on my Audi and then the wind proceeded to blow said strips along the surfaces of the car.....£3000 respray required!!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I feel you pain, my shed roof felt blew off last week in huge strips complete with wood trim and roof tacks attached.
It kindly landed on my Audi and then the wind proceeded to blow said strips along the surfaces of the car.....£3000 respray required!!

Ouch!!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
" Ouch" that's expensive especially at this time of year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back