LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The storm last night which continues into today has left it's mark.

Something has smashed into the roof of our MH and broken the roof light over the dinette into tiny pieces. Once the wind drops we will have to check the rest of the roof.

A neighbour was restoring a romany caravan and that has also probably suffered damage as the tarp he was using to cover it is in the hedge at the front of us. Too windy to retrieve it at the moment.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Sorry to hear that PD, it was quite scary last night, I thought my roof was going to do a flyer and I'm sure my house was moving. Hopefully I won't get any phone message from Oban about my cabin being flattened.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm hoping it is just the roof light. The whole unit will need to be replaced :(, not sure how much that will cost.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Fingers crossed it is only the roof light that is broken, provided you can get one quickly will hopefully be a quick and easy repair

Keeping it watertight could be the issue

Good luck

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry to hear that - as above, if just the roof light it is a relatively quick and not too expensive repair

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Martin has just gone down to Travis to get some long screws and will screw a board over it - will seal the edges with boat tape as a temp repair.

The repair place is busy with their own vans so waiting for them to get back to me.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The duct tape lasted less than half an hour..... winds are still 70 / 80 mph here.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Sorry to hear this, can you not seal the gap internally with duct tape?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Sorry you're having a bit of a trial Mrs P - hope you find a safe way to get a temporary repair on x

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Please allow me to try to explain to you duck tape guys out there! Assuming a roof light is 500mm square you buy a piece of board 7oomm square place over the roof light so it overlaps, then with a batten on the inside of the roof you drill though that and screw into the board on the outside. This is just a way of clamping the covering board down there is no requirement to drill into the roof at all.

Hope you can follow this.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Please allow me to try to explain to you duck tape guys out there! Assuming a roof light is 500mm square you buy a piece of board 7oomm square place over the roof light so it overlaps, then with a batten on the inside of the roof you drill though that and screw into the board on the outside. This is just a way of clamping the covering board down there is no requirement to drill into the roof at all.

You beat me to it, that's what I was just typing out :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Fair comment - a very good solution if long enough screws can be found

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
So sorry to hear of this Pd and hope that there is a quick fix.
@trophychap has come up with a sound solution imo with no potential collateral damage in #15.
Good luck.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Good one tc!(y)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Sound advice there John, hopefully they will cover the damage and it will not impact on their motorhome NCB.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

And that is exactly what we have done! Three clamps made from old bed slats and each is padded at each end with packing material. The roof light is one of the size 2 Heiki Super de-luxe models I think.

Luckily MH had been laid up for the winter and the cupboards were empty, contents in plastic boxes on the floor and 99% of the water that came in went into the boxes. The cushions etc were inside the house.

No, I have not been on the roof of the van - the patch was done from inside the van.

Snow forecast for later :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
If its just the 'glass' part and no body damage i wouldnt bother with insurance.
even if the cost exceeds your excess your premium will increase for a year or two.

Not worth it for a few quid saved short term.

The new roof light is £899 and fitting as the whole of the unit will have to be replaced. It's not just the "glass" but also the mechanism and the surround. I agree that less than £500 and it's not worth going through the insurance.

Household insurance doesn't cover any damage to motor vehicles even if they are in the garage.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Sorry to hear this, can you not seal the gap internally with duct tape?

The "glass" is in several dozen pieces and there is no way I can fasten them back together. No so much a gap as a huge hole. Once there was a hole the wind got in and ripped the lot off. We think it was hit with debris from the poly tunnels (not ours) as they have been blown from a farm north of us to a farm a mile south of us. Can't prove it though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You could prove it if you happened to find a bit inside the van ;)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Very long screws from the agricultural merchant did the trick :)

Not impressed with AIB insurance though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back