LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just had a good look inside now the wind has dropped a bit. The front sky light is also cracked so will have to let Knowepark know about that as well. There is a long scratch down the roof and the tv aerial has been moved.

The water is also tracking around the temporary patch and into the van - blown in by the wind of course. Not much we can do about that.

I really don't like the wind down fastenings - will see if a more secure fastening is available but I doubt it. Because I thought that roof light wasn't as secure as the others we always triple checked it so I am absolutely sure it was fully wound down. I always wound it down and then pushed on it from inside to check it was fully down......... always took an extra turn or two to "lock" it down.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Just had a good look inside now the wind has dropped a bit. The front sky light is also cracked so will have to let Knowepark know about that as well. There is a long scratch down the roof and the tv aerial has been moved.

The water is also tracking around the temporary patch and into the van - blown in by the wind of course. Not much we can do about that.

I really don't like the wind down fastenings - will see if a more secure fastening is available but I doubt it. Because I thought that roof light wasn't as secure as the others we always triple checked it so I am absolutely sure it was fully wound down. I always wound it down and then pushed on it from inside to check it was fully down......... always took an extra turn or two to "lock" it down.

They're vented to comply with various rules and regs aren't they Pd so however tight you've wound down there'll always be wind entering. Hope you're back on the road soon. Snow now too...........:eek:

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Not a lot more we could have done to prevent damage. The storage facility also has damaged vans.

Only possible thing would be to build a garage - but then that could have fallen on it...... part of the shed roof is off but only a small bit over the veranda and it is just uPVC so easy and cheap to fix.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we hope you and martin are not to cold with all your snow. and we hope you get your van fixed asap. and good luck with the temp fix.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thanks, the snow is melting when it gets to ground level so no real problem at present.

Not much we can do now about the van..... but will put a bigger board over the temp fix when we can as the water is coming in under the sealing board which is sealed against the existing rubber seal. It's just the power of the wind blowing through the seals. I'm thinking a board fixed on top of the board that is there but with pipe insulation round the edges to seal it on the top of the van. Not sure what else we can do.......

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Well the van is going into Knowepark next Monday for them to look at it and to do an estimate for the repair. It took 30 minutes to get to speak to someone at the insurance company because of the number of claims. They asked a lot of questions about who drove it last and where to..... I suppose to check it wasn't being used outside the terms of the insurance cover. Anyway I have a claim number and an email address for Knowepark to send the estimate to.

We actually went into Knowepark and had a look at the new range of Chausson motorhomes. Very impressed with the 610 - and the 500 is a great compact low profile.

When we are ready to change in two or three years either might be a contender. :)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Sorry to hear of your damage and hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction (y)

Please can you keep us informed on how you get on with AIB as quite a few of us are insured with them(y)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
AIB are just the broker. They took two days to return my call wit the information I needed to make the claim with underwriter. My fault as if I had gone all the way through the pack of documents I would have eventually found a number for the underwriter and been able to phone them directly myself right away.

I was on hold at the underwriter's claim line for 20 minutes but when I did get through to speak to a human she was very good and efficient. They are, of course, very busy.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
what ab putting silicon round it then the board
The board is already on a rubber sealing strip.... a small amount of water is tracking round and through but isn't too bad. I am checking twice a day.

There is some water coming in through the vent holes as well - but again not too bad. There is heat on inside in the hope that will help.

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
Lets hope its not an Elddis. We have been waiting 5 months for parts!! If no joy after 6months am going to seek legal advice

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hope you get it sorted soon Helen. After reading all about yours and the recent weather we hope ours is ok when we get back to see it.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Lets hope its not an Elddis. We have been waiting 5 months for parts!! If no joy after 6months am going to seek legal advice

It's a Chausson and there doesn't seem to be a problem getting parts - or if there is we haven't been told there is a problem.

Hope you get it sorted soon Helen. After reading all about yours and the recent weather we hope ours is ok when we get back to see it.

It would be nice to have it ready for a weekend or two before Martin retires - and obviously we will need it after the event. He told his line manager yesterday as his one-to-one...... the line manager was surprised but not antagonistic. The regional director has said there will be consultancy work available if he is interested. :)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Buffy is up at the motorhome hospital.

One roof light they have in stock in France, the other has a six week lead time.

The roof had a long mark on it which has polished out, as has the mark on the aerial which we hadn't noticed. It was the roof that was concerning me but, phew, it is intact.

The drive is empty without her sitting there.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thanks Graham. 6 weeks is a long time to be without her but February is not a great month weatherwise and we are on holiday in early March (Centre Parcs) with family. Martin finishes work towards the end of March so as long as we have her home by then it's okay..... sort of. Does mean we can't do spontaneous weekends but never mind.

Reactions: GJH

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we hope all goes well. I know what it is like with no motorhome on the drive.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Back to the OP, very strong winds in the Faroes last night, strong gale/storm speeds. The wife had to sleep downstairs on the sofa as the house and windows were being shaken so much ( and no I hadn't been on the vindaloo). Only casualty was the 1.20m satellite dish which got spun on its mounting. Quick spanner job and we've got our picture back. Bright and sunny but still too cold a wind for a walk.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Good news but no looking around others while there and being tempted to change. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back