Storing your stuff in containers (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Just wondering, that there must be someone like us, who will be sold up in January but have no where to go at the moment. We are considering living in the mh and putting all our contents and clothes into a container, till we sort out where we want to live.
Has anyone done this and what are the problems and things to watch out for. We will have a legal address somewhere as well, while we sort this out.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
When we did the same thing15 years ago, we put all our belongings into a self-storage unit, 2 actually as our son was also waiting for his house. No problems at all.

Living in the MH was also no problem even though we moved out 3 days before Christmas. Stayed on a site over Christmas and New Year and then on CLs in the area we were planning on moving to while we were house hunting. We found somewhere very quickly and moved in before the end of February.

Good luck with your house hunt!

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
When we did the same thing15 years ago, we put all our belongings into a self-storage unit, 2 actually as our son was also waiting for his house. No problems at all.

Living in the MH was also no problem even though we moved out 3 days before Christmas. Stayed on a site over Christmas and New Year and then on CLs in the area we were planning on moving to while we were house hunting. We found somewhere very quickly and moved in before the end of February.

Good luck with your house hunt!
Is condensation/damp something that you need to be mindful off. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If the stuff is precious, why not use a proper storage place?
The one I used was spotlessly clean, 24 hour access, and the staff were really pleasant.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've used a self- storage place where it wasn't in containers. Just a big building divided into units of different size. Damp was never a problem. It would be worth looking for a place like this locally. A local removal company should be able to advise.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you are talking about a "shipping container" be aware that a lot of those used in the storage market tend to be ex shipping line use that have been removed from their fleet due to age \ condition \ etc. On this basis you need to be very careful around water ingress, damage to articles being stored through dents \ creases \ oil \ etc.
You should also be aware that whilst they should still have their cam-locking bars, etc there are ways to open the doors with the locks \ bolt seals still in place.
If you're thinking of buying \ keeping the container "off site" at your own premises you would need to ensure the vehicle delivering \ collecting has a container lift (to place it on the ground) and there is sufficient access for it.
If you're going to be hiring \ storing at a storage yard will you be looking for the container to be filled at your house? If so, consider the access question above and the time permitted for loading. This will be very restricted hence the reason most "cargo" is palletised. Our guys could load \ discharge a full 40' container is 15-20 minutes. You'll also need to consider restraining \ dunnaging the goods inside the container.
If you're going to transport your stuff to the container at a storage facility this involves double handling (both ways) thereby introducing the opportunity for damage. To minimise the risk of this think about a vehicle with a tail-lift for loading \ discharging.
If you are going to be double-handling it's probably best to consider a storage unit as mentioned previously as it should remove some of the issue mentioned above. If you do go down the road of storage unit try and get a with raised loading bays where you off-load on the flat, quicker and easier.
And, before putting stuff into storage do consider if you really do need it or would it be better to have a Funster Garage Sale!

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000

/No problems with damp. The one we used sounds the same as DBK’s. Have a look at this site

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I've used a self- storage place where it wasn't in containers. Just a big building divided into units of different size. Damp was never a problem. It would be worth looking for a place like this locally. A local removal company should be able to advise.
Daughter used a converted building in Plymouth and did have some mouse damage.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
As we have been full time in our motorhome for well over 2 years we needed somewhere to store our furniture etc in case we end up in a house again.

We rent a shipping container on a mh storage site. It’s insulated, bone dry and only £400 a year, bargain I think.

As far as storage is concerned I would say always shop around for the best price - some are very expensive.

Paul

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We got rid of all our ‘stuff’.

If you work out the cost of storage, plus devaluation and age, it’s just not worth it if you intend fulltiming for any length of time. The money you save buys you new stuff in a few years time if things change. Anything of particular sentimental value you can always leave in a family or friends loft!

......just another thought?

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We got rid of all our ‘stuff’.

If you work out the cost of storage, plus devaluation and age, it’s just not worth it if you intend fulltiming for any length of time. The money you save buys you new stuff in a few years time if things change. Anything of particular sentimental value you can always leave in a family or friends loft!

......just another thought?

Quite right. We have already spent £1200 on 3 years of storage, whole lot is only worth a fraction of that. If it was up to me it would all be gone but we are up against female logic here - SWMBO thinks it might come in useful ‘one day’

Paul

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I bought an insulated shipping container which has never been to sea and have it 'stored' at a Gold standard CaSSOA motorhome storage site which costs me £310 a year.

I consider the internal insulation essential to avoid condensation.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I think the damp/condensation query is about the "living in a MH" part ?

Could be wrong, but maybe the OP now has a query about the storage too :)

Sep 17, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Van
Exp
13 yrs, caravan, motorhome
Is condensation/damp something that you need to be mindful off. ?
Yes, very much so. Anything leather will go mouldy, other stuff too I imagine. I would advise heated household storage. Mould is I believe impossible to get rid of. Books photos etc would absorb the damp.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
If you haven't used it in 6 months get rid (home rules) What doesn't fit, doesn't stay( van rules)....harsh but how much 'stuff' do you really need. I got rid of all my old photo's recently they mean nothing to no one but me and it safes any guilty feelings after a pop off …..

Sep 17, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Van
Exp
13 yrs, caravan, motorhome
If you haven't used it in 6 months get rid (home rules) What doesn't fit, doesn't stay( van rules)....harsh but how much 'stuff' do you really need. I got rid of all my old photo's recently they mean nothing to no one but me and it safes any guilty feelings after a pop off …..
I've scanned the important photos. You might need something to pass the day sat in the old folks home :/

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I've scanned the important photos. You might need something to pass the day sat in the old folks home :/
Yes but would you remember who or where you are looking at

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back