Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We currently have no TV in the van and do not particularly want to watch day to day TV or anything other than the odd prerecorded program or movie. Given the kit we currently have what is the best option open to us? We currently have:

A Freesat system with a Humax Freesat box, with a USB and HDMI output
A BT TV system
Amazon Prime membership

An old Windows laptop with limited storage capacity
A Western Digital "My Book" 250 Gb, USB 2 output and various USB sticks
A couple of Ipads, which connect to nothing else
An early Firestick

We would need to buy a new TV and anything else?

TIA

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use an Andriod TV box I paid £55 quid a few months ago now £35:cry:
It has 64 GB of memory, 2x USB slots and an SD card slot so you can have 256GB of memory if needed.
We use it at home for all the streaming channels and before we go away download loads of series and films from Prime & iPlayer etc., and take it with us it's only 4" sq.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you really dont want to buy and install a TV then why not use a tablet for both the storage and viewing.
A 10" I find adequate for occasional viewing, currently use a Samsung Tab A that has 32gb built in but can take a plug in SD card up to another 128gb.
Apps such as BBC Iplayer allow you to download and store to watch offline, your Amazon prime also allows that as far as i know.

You can of course use the ipads BUT their limited storage is the drawback if they are the low spec versions.

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
If you really dont want to buy and install a TV then why not use a tablet ....

We have an Ipad with 32Gb and have used it for storing IPlayer recordings - limited time and a bit small to watch though, and I wanted to broaden our options to include Amazon Prime if possible

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Your Humax player will store and playback tv even if it is not connected to a satellite dish. We take ours from the house for long trips & just connect to the tv. Your firestick will play all catch up tv & Prime provided you have some WiFi or Mifi data.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got a TV with USB socket in the van and just plug in various external HDD's (up to 2Tb). You just then select the appropriate input on the TV.
You could do similar with your laptop.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
If your laptop has an HDMI out, maybe just connect that to your tv and play anything you want from either it, the firestick or your hard-drive?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A basic tv with a google chromecast plugged into the hdmi socket. Stream all you need from your phones, ipads or laptop

I also use an amazon firestick with extra apps on to stream pretty much anything from BBC iplayer to the latest films and pretty much any channel on sky. Oh and netflix and prime

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back