Storing bikes in a garage : under a single bunk. How many ? and so on (1 Viewer)

therealSB

Free Member
Mar 30, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2015
Can anybody advise how many bikes it is possible to store under a rear single bed garage?
For example this Chausson Flash 03 here Broken Link Removed
The bottom bunk folds up ... there are plenty of other manufacturers who do this layout.

As for the bikes.. we are talking light weight racing bikes (mountain and road and cyclo-cross). I can remove pedals, turn handlebars and so on.
Most motorhomes I see have the bikes on the back, I guess the garage is being used for chairs and what-not. But my bikes are somewhat expensive so (especially when wildcamping) I need to store them out of site. The obvious choice is a long wheel base Sprinter 'race-van' but there the garage is too large at the expense of accomodation.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Different model but we used to carry 3 mountain bikes in our Chausson Best Of 04 - several of their models like this have very large garages but do have to watch the weight loading as tempting to fill it! We would also always want to store bikes out of sight especially if valuable.
This may not be of any help but at least by posting this thread is bumped in Recent & someone else might be able to advise better...

OP
OP
therealSB

therealSB

Free Member
Mar 30, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2015
Is the spare bed a realistic option for a growing 13year old in the Flash 04?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The Chausson dinette third bed in their coachbuilts does work well as (unlike in most PVC) can still use the hab. door but if your family is anything like ours it may not be long until that teenager decides they are too grown up for motorhome holidays with parents!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its difficult to advise without seeing one in the flesh but if you remove the front wheels this will mean the bikes will sit lower so height won't be an issue and it will also allow you to turn the handlebars, if you also remove pedals you could possibly get 3 in there but you need to bear in mind the size of the door opening itself too as the bed area looks wider so there may be space but in order to get the bikes in out you might have to remove them all to get at the one you want if it is stuck at the side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Certainly usable but a bit of a faff to have to make up each night and put away each morning, also bear in mind that although the garage looks large due to the size of the door there's a lot of 'furniture' in the way so it could end up being smaller than the Flash 03.

1595866554374.png

OP
OP
therealSB

therealSB

Free Member
Mar 30, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2015
Ah see what you mean! That's a great help. At least with the rear bunks teenagers get some privacy! (And compared with sleeping on an inflatable mattress across the bench seats in a Sprinter, he'll think it is like a palace)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
With road/CX handlebars typically being 38-42cm width i can't see you getting more than 2 bikes in there unless the 3rd is a folder ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
With road/CX handlebars typically being 38-42cm width i can't see you getting more than 2 bikes in there unless the 3rd is a folder ?
Loosen and turn handlebars 90 degrees ...

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Not too much difference with the offset of the bars and modern brifters. The ideal to save space is to remove them as bikes are shipped once built, this really reduces the width but is a pain to set up once arriving.

OP
OP
therealSB

therealSB

Free Member
Mar 30, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2015
By removing the front wheels the bikes can be stored more compactly, I'd also add some correx sheets between the bikes to prevent them and the side of the vehicle getting damaged.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back