storage damage to motorhome . (1 Viewer)

Bailif

Free Member
Nov 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
sorry late posting this but I've been rather ill ,came back early from holiday in may this year 2019 because of illness left van (recently purchased 16 Plate Adria) in storage ,did the necessary ,Doctors Hospital, next day being a Thursday 17, I visited the van to see if I had secured it properly and found damage to the left hand wheel arch and skirt .went immediately to on site office to report it and the site owner/ manager stated that he had received a call from the guy late Wednesday night at home to report the damage and gave me a name and number of a guy to sort it out (Fix It).
I stated that I would contact my insurance who asked me to get a copy of the video/camera but the site owner/manager refused stating there wasn't any .
I informed my insurance who said it was very doubtful that I could claim although I had a photo of the number plate off the offending caravan. I immediately moved my van to a more secure storage(GOLD) some miles away and since then I have been more concerned with hospital tests but lately I sent a letter to the site owner saying I would not be continuing with storage because of the damage and his lack of interest in resolving the issue and inclosing the key he ,phoned me stating this was the first time he had been aware of the damage to my van and there was a procedure in effect that I should have made use of and there was no key in the envelope. I now see at my new site a sign saying that vehicles are left at owners risk .
so how does one cope with damage to Motorhomes from another vehicle especially if the damage is caused by the sites owners friends ?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I hope your health has improved and your on the mend. Sorry I cant be of any help as we keep our van at home. I hope you get the matter resolved, if anything ive given your post a bump up.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Sorry to hear of health problems and hopefully you're on the mend.
We store our motorhome on a CaSSOA Gold site (C&MC) and their t&c's clearly state responsibility for any damage resides with the vehicle owner and not them unless caused by their employees \ agents negligence. They also state insurance should be in place whilst the motorhome is located in the storage compound.
You really need to read your contract with your previous storage location to understand what clauses are included in relation to damage. You should also review your insurance schedule \ policy to understand what they say in relation to storage of the vehicle whilst not in use. Once you've done that you should have a clearer picture in relation on how to proceed.
Have you been in contact with the other storage client who "contacted" the storage operator as you may want to proceed with a claim against their insurers.
Make sure you put \ receive everything in writing or have an independent witness to statements made.
Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bailif

Free Member
Nov 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
many thanks for your replies ,I have consulted my insurance that does not mention storage and damage and again the storage terms and conditions are the same as yours ,as the signs state vehicle is left at owners risk.
My time is limited and I have no wish to waste it by chasing two crooks for what was basically cosmetic damage that has since been repaired at my own cost ,what concerns me is possible future damage and the possibility that it may be more serious and what one does to address such a situation and thanks to (is it Gellyneck ?)When I take out my next insurance it will be with a dedicated Motorhome insurance company and I will pay particular attention to storage terms .

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have told my insurance company (NFU) where my motorhome is stored and my understanding is that I can claim for any losses from that address. Some insurance companies are probably easier to deal with than others.

I applaud your approach, not worth spending too much time pursuing the bad guys having got the damage fixed. I try not to worry too much about all the things that might go wrong and will probably never happen, though I am not always successful.

OP
OP
B

Bailif

Free Member
Nov 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Thank you Pausim its reassuring to know I can include losses from a storage address.
My Insurance is due at months end I will look for a comparable insurance many thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back