Storage costs

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by monzer, Mar 14, 2018.

1. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +513
    So I'm booked on the ferry back to Portsmouth this week and booked in for my MOT up in Quedgley. My sister stays there so thought it would be worth while to book my van in to storage for a few months instead of driving back home to Aberdeen then back down to the ferry when I go away again. This way I can fly down to see family then pick the van up.

Been quoted some eye watering amounts from various storage facilities down there and some I can't help but feel are taking the absolute p*ss.

I won't name and shame but one company in particular were quoting me £225+vat P/M with a £60+vat P/M service charge. (This basically means they will wash the van on entry and keep the battery on a trickle charge). They then emailed me and said 'on doing some research on the size of my van' (7m long) they would have to charge £300 +vat P/M with the £60+vat P/M service charge.

Over 400 quid per month to keep my camper van under a roof. Surely I could rent a house with a garage for that amount. How can they justify these prices? I was under £400 quid to keep my van for a year in Spain!

Anyway I have found somewhere that will do it for 90 quid per month. Just proves how important it is to shop around.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. kelpie

kelpie Funster

Ratings:
    +789
    No where near where you want to be , but, my storage undercover, just ten min from home and twenty five min from Glasgow, £435 per annum. Cassoa gold site with all singing and dancing alarms, owner stays on site.
    Google Cassoa storage and see if there 's one near your sister.
    John

3. kelpie

kelpie Funster

Ratings:
    +789
    Just googled it , seven sites showing around Gloucester.
    John

4. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +8,344
    So if you owned a storage site and could charge £500 a month, you wouldn't? The philanthropist in you would say "No that's unfair lets charge £100 for these poor people. :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +513
    If anyone is stupid enough to pay 500 quid to keep their van under a roof then they deserve to be the victims of the daylight robbery that has just bestowed them.

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +513
    Cheers John but I'm booked in a place already, and happy with the price.

7. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +8,344
    Entirely agree, I pay just over £400 for the year at a Cassoa gold site, but if you owned a really expensive motorhome say £500,000+ then £6000 a year might seem peanuts.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,324
    a house in my cul-de-sac has recently been re-rented £1600 per month, 3 bed semi with a garage in a block no other off road parking. no shortage of people wanting to rent it either. I suggest you are either out of touch with rental prices or it is massively cheaper up north

last motorhome storage was £1500 per year and they have waiting lists

9. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +513
    Yes it is a lot cheaper up here but I was just using an example to get my point across.

When it comes to the crunch a storage facility is a building with a roof and some security measures in place. There is absolutely no need for some of these firms charging these ludicrous amounts. No justification what so ever. But if people some how get peace of mind by being ripped off that is fine with me I guess.

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. On the road again

On the road again Funster

Ratings:
    +217
    They do have to buy the land. It's not just the 'building with a roof.........'

As has been said, if people are prepared to pay it then a) more fool them B) you can't blame the supplier if there is a demand at that price

11. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Ratings:
    +1,250
    So why is is cheaper up North, the overheads must be roughly the same.......???

12. Steve N Tracy

Steve N Tracy Funster

Ratings:
    +705
    If you are storing a few motorhomes, the land down South is a lot dearer then up North down here you can easily become a millionaire by selling a decent sized field.

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +8,344
    Land prices:
    Just across the Forth 8 miles from Dunfermline

LOT 1: Opportunity to acquire 9.14 acres (3.7 ha) of land zoned for 60 houses (See plan attached at rear of particulars).
    Layout for previous (now withdrawn) detailed planning application for 77 houses and 16 flats, reference: 08/01551/WFUL http://planning.fife.gov.uk/online/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=K1GYMLHF03700

OFFERS OVER £200,000 PER ACRE

Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    The site comprising the land at 84-108 St John's Road consisting of a predominantly rectangular shaped site extending to approximately 0.18 hectares (0.44 acres).

The development will provide a total of 6 no. Units consisting of 3 blocks of 4 bedroom semi-detached houses. Each unit will be provided with its own care parking space and private amenity. An extensive hard and soft landscaping scheme is also proposed.

£2,000,000 That's around £4,000,000 an acre

14. sweetie

sweetie Funster

Ratings:
    +752
    Could you please tell us how you would be ripped off or them taking the wee wee.Do they grab your keys put motorhome in building and say give us your money. Or do they say that is our price if you would like us to keep your motorhome secure clean and batteries topped up.
    Your choice surely.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. On the road again

On the road again Funster

Ratings:
    +217
    Sometimes, on many theads,( and I am not singling this thread , or theOP, out) you could be forgiven for thinking that anyone owning a motorhome expects everything else to come for free or for peanuts.

Now,don't get me wrong, I don't like paying out but, if it comes with the territory, your choices are limited

16. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +513
    If you are paying £500 odd quid for storing your van for one month then you are being ripped off, (whether you are happy with it or not is entirely up to you).

It's not a luxury service. When I want my van in storage I want it under a roof that doesn't leak and I would like some decent security around the place and that is basically it.

17. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +513
    You choices are not limited though as with a bit of shopping around I found indoor storage in the same area for a much more affordable £90 per month.

18. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Ratings:
    +17,238
    Crikey, I am staying where I am. £360 for the year, CCTV and secure. Not undercover but I don't want that anyway as I need to keep my batteries charged.

19. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +89,824
    Our storage is very expensive.

Just under £2k a year for indoor storage.

I don’t like it but we don’t really have much choice

20. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +1,079
    My Dorset storage costs about £600 a year, open air but secure.